Paintstorm Studio is the first iOS App designed not only for simple sketches, but professional digital painting of any level, genre and technique. Paintstorm helps you to discover the magnificence and unleash the full potential of Apple Pencil and brings you to a whole new level of drawing. Creating an art masterpiece has never been so mobile.
A major feature of Paintstorm Studio is the array of brushes to choose from. We did our best so that you can easily and quickly adjust the brushes suitable to your painting style.
Anyone who has ever painted knows it's hard to overestimate the painting tool and the importance of all the seemingly insignificant details. We tried not to miss any of them. Our goal was to create an intuitive, simple-to-use but at the same time functionally powerful tool that brings the process of digital painting to a new level, making it as comfortable as possible.
- Full control of all brush options (Incredible possibilities for brush settings)
- Bristle brushes of any form and kind
- Stroke post correction (You can take an action on any option. Not only on the stroke thickness)
- Parameters binding to the perspective
- Dynamic interface (Global interface scale, panels scale, opacity, color)
- Custom panels
- Full controlled mask-brush (Each brush can work as mask for other brush)
- Takes underlayer's color while blending
- "Close gaps" function when you fill or select
- Dirty brush mode
- Stroke stabilizer
- Usable color mixer
- Different gradient strokes
- Mirror drawing
- Standart tools pack (Lasso, Magic wand, Crop, Fill, Gradient and etc)
- Control of the random amounts
- Photoshop PSD and ABR supported
- Apple Pencil support (Pressure, Tilt, Direction)
- This release is dedicated to improving ergonomics and fixing bugs.
- The ability to select the scroll mode of lists added to In Menu-> File-> Options-> Interface, (Layers, Brushes, etc.)
1) Tablet Style (Scrolling by any space; Swap layer / Brushes / Textures works by holding the mouse button)
2) Hybrid (Scrolling by any space except the current layer / brush / texture. Swap works by a click on the current layer / brush / texture)
3) Classic (As in Photoshop: Scrolling with scrollbar only, Swap works by a click on any layer / brush / texture)
- The «space» now switches the fast scroll mode on (works in all three modes)
- It has become much more convenient and predictable to work with groups of panels.
- Erasers are now not tied to the second category. Now "E" will switch to the last selected eraser marked with the corresponding icon.
- Individual layers and brushes colors can now be set through the context menu of the corresponding panel.
- The "Select Lasso" tool has become much faster.
- The minimum canvas size reduced to 8x8 pixels.
- Over 50 minor bugs fixed.
Ratings and Reviews
I love it except for one thing
It would be great if there were keyboard shortcuts. I have a Bluetooth keyboard and it would be awesome if i could use it with the program. Really, it would revolutionize the app. With other apps like procreate there are less options so you dont need a keyboard. This app has a better brush engine and more options but it lacks the smooth workflow. If you just had keyboard short cuts man. It would do it.
Extremely underrated, however, a few bugs
(Edit) Problem was fixed!! I appreciate it! It’s much easier to use now
I’ve been using Paintstorm for almost 2 years now, and let me say I absolutely adore it! It works very well, however there are bugs that I hope will be fixed in the future.
1. Using certain brushes at a large size makes the program extremely slow. Not a huge problem, however it is annoying when drawing a simple background
2. I sometimes lose all progress. I’ll leave the app, then come back, and everything is gone. This doesn’t happen often, but I hope the auto save feature will be improved in the future
3. Colors disappearing when coloring. This is probably the most annoying thing that brought me here. When I’m coloring, the color will sometimes randomly delete and show the bottom layer. Usually I can get rid of it by simply pressing “undo”, however sometimes that even doesn’t work. Then, I’ll have to use the fill tool, and that only sometimes work. It gets to the point where I am designing or shading a character, and there is this huge, random gap. It’s a pain to deal with and I really hope this gets fixed.
An Underrated Gem
While I found myself disappointed in Procreates lack of features, this app was WELL worth the heftier price tag for me. Paintstorm was actually the first desktop art app ive purchased in many years, after happily using open source software, and i was delighted to see it, essentially in FULL, on the ipad pro. Paintstorm has one of the best brush engines I’ve ever used. Its the closest to Sai in its blending and stroke correction ive felt, personally. It also has a fantastic little hotkey menu down in the bottom left that I use constantly to resize my brush on the fly and switch between brush and eraser all without moving my pencil from the canvas. I do wish that it had more saving and export options, and the ability to import an image as a layer to make adding textures easier, and the ability to import textures for brushes from the camera roll. But these are all things I can happily deal with. Paintstorm strikes the balance I wanted. Enough features for serious painting, start to finish, a great brush engine, and a highly customizable interface. If youre used to drawing in full desktop apps and want that experience on your iPad, i highly recommend this app.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.