Paku is the best app for checking PurpleAir. View sensors on a map, filter by indoor or outdoor sensors, and choose from AQAndU or US EPA conversions.
Paku also shows the average AQI over the last few minutes, hours, day and week, and lets you choose to see these data points on the map as well.
Keep an eye on the AQI right in your Today View, with widgets that support showing AQI near you or a specific Purple Air sensor.
- Temperate and humidity are now shown in sensor details.
- Sharing from iPad no longer crashes.
- Improved accuracy of AQI colors.
Ratings and Reviews
Good start, hoping for more
Areas I’d like to see improvement:
- Ability to choose a sensor and stay with that sensor. I own a PA sensor and only want to see data from that sensor. I don’t want to see data from other sensors as I move locations.
- Get rid of the AQandU filter. I don’t like that filter nor trust the data it produces. If this app is going to force the use of a filter, it should be the EPA filter, not the AQandU filter.
- Provide time-based averages. Seeing the current AQI is only a small part of the picture. Gaining an understanding of how the AQI value is trending is immensely valuable and often times more valuable than the current reading.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your feedback! I’ve been heads down on getting map support out, but you can also turn off the AQAndU conversion in 1.1.0. All the other asks are on the roadmap too. Enjoy!
Update: with 1.2.0 you can now choose a specific sensor for the widgets!
Best Purple Air Monitor App
I have found that while Purple Air does not have an official app, Paku is as close to what I'd expect of an app if Purple Air did make one. The integration of Apple Maps with Purple Air data, combine with the ability to click on a radial AQI and launch the Purple Air website within the Paku app, and real time widgets on the iPhone, make this a near perfect experience. I only wish that there would be more development into an Apple Watch complication, as well as data integration such as PM 1, 2.5, 10, temp and humidity all at a glance from within the Paku map view.
Really Nice, but Missing That Last Bit
Paku is filled with a lot of great simplicity, making it easy to use and pretty to look at. However, I’ve noticed that the settings I use for viewing values resets each time I close the app. I think the experience would be better if these didn’t need to be keyed in each time.
It would also be nice if the widget didn’t just report the nearest station value, but instead averaged the nearest 3, for example, considering that sensors can often be individually unreliable. This averaging feature would be also nice when zooming out, so that values would be legible at “higher altitudes”.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Kyle Bashour
- 2.6 MB
- Requires iOS 14.3 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.3 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.3 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2020 Kyle Bashour
- In-App Purchases
- Coffee-sized tip $5.99
- Burrito-sized tip $13.99
- Pizza-sized tip $31.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.