What should you do if your child develops a fever, cough, vomiting, rash, sore throat or head injury? What should you do about behavioral issues, from toilet training to teaching responsibility to teenagers? These are questions that all parents have. Health problems and parenting issues can arise anytime – evenings, weekends, when you’re at work or traveling or your doctor’s office is closed.
ParentAdvice Center is designed especially for these concerns and challenges.
The Symptom Care Guides help you make smart decisions on what level of care (if any) is needed and how to provide speedy symptom relief for minor illnesses or injuries you can manage on your own.
ParentAdvice Center is derived from the clinical protocols used by pediatricians and nurses in 10,000 practices and 400 nurse advice call centers in the US and Canada. They have been tested for 15 years on more than 150 million symptom calls.
The 145 Parent Advice Messages deal with the most common behavior and wellness questions parents ask their physicians. Each topic provides a description of the issue, three to five specific recommendations to address the concern, and (often) additional resources which may be useful to your situation.
Symptom Checker Features
Easy 3-step navigation:
1. Choose the most appropriate symptom care guide
2. Use the symptom decision chart to find the recommended action
3. Follow the self care advice to make your child more comfortable
The care guide that best matches your child’s symptom can be located quickly by using the alphabetical index, body area index, or keyword search.
Content - each symptom care guide contains:
* Definition which describes the focus of the care guide so you can decide if it’s a good fit for your problem. If not, there are quick links to related guidelines.
* Decision Chart which helps determine what action is suggested based on the severity and description of your symptom. Once you have a match, simply follow the corresponding action, such as Call 911, Call Your Child’s Doctor Now, Call Your Child’s Doctor within 24 hours or Manage at Home.
* Immediate Connections to medical help, such as 911, your child’s practice or nearby Emergency Department (ER) are available if you have phone service.
* Home Care Advice is available for any illnesses and injuries that can be treated at home. The instructions provide clear, up-to-date steps for relieving symptoms.
* Medication and Allergy List for tracking important information about your family’s prescriptions and/or over the counter medications.
* Pediatric dosage tables by weight for common over-the-counter medications.
* Visual images to help you identify symptoms (e.g. rashes), injuries and common causes of bites & stings.
* First Aid topics and illustrations to support immediate action, if needed.
Disclaimer: The information provided with this Application is not a substitute for professional medical or behavioral advice, diagnosis or treatment; it is for informational purposes only. Talk with your healthcare provider about any questions you may have regarding a medical condition. If you think your child may have a medical emergency, call the doctor or 911 immediately. Before using ParentAdvice Center, all users should read and agree with the full Disclaimer available in the application within More > Terms and Conditions.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Really good tool for decision making.
When you have a 3am symptom and you are half asleep and half panicking, it’s really nice to be able to look up the symptom, see “do this and call the doctor in the morning”, so you can skip the ER trip and know you are doing the right thing. Or, see “take them in right away” and know that you aren’t over reacting by going to the ER. It brings me a lot of peace and I can skip Dr. Google.
Go here before Google
I use this app often and resort to it for any ailment I can. The suggestions are helpful and the “What to Do” section is a great guide on taking next steps to seek medical care. All the stars for this app!
Great tool to help guide decisions regarding symptoms and when to seek medical treatment. Glad the information comes from a reputable source and is written in a way that a non-medical person can understand.
- Texas Childrens Hospital
- 22.5 MB
- Health & Fitness
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- © 2019 Self Care Decisions, LLC.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.