Patterns is the ultimate tool for working with regular expressions. Build great patterns quickly and effortlessly with regex syntax highlighting, live match view, replace mode, built-in quick reference, and much more. Whether you're a seasoned regex wizard or new to regex, Patterns is the only tool you'll ever need.
- Regular expression syntax highlighting makes it easy to see how your pattern is interpreted by the regex engine. No more confusion about what needs to be escaped.
- The Matches view lets you inspect all matches and captured text produced by your regex, alongside your search text. Clicking on a match or group highlights both the matched search text and the specific portion of your regex that produced the match or capture.
- See matches, replacements, and filter results in real time while you edit your pattern.
- Use the Copy Code feature to quickly export your pattern for use in a number of different programming languages.
- The built-in regular expression quick reference sheet helps you learn and expand your knowledge of regex syntax.
- Customize the regex engine for different regex "flavors". Supported flavors are: Oniguruma, POSIX Basic (BRE), POSIX Extended (ERE), Perl (PCRE), emacs, Java, Ruby, bash, grep, and sed.
The major v1.2 update brings lots of useful new regex features, Dark Mode support for Mojave, and much more.
- The new Matches view lets you inspect all matches and captured text produced by your regex, alongside your search text. Clicking on a match or group highlights both the matched search text and the specific portion of your regex that produced the match or capture.
- The new Filter mode lets you filter the search text by lines that either match or don't match your regex.
- The regex engine can now be customised for different regex "flavors". Supported flavors are: Oniguruma, POSIX Basic (BRE), POSIX Extended (ERE), Perl (PCRE), emacs, Java, Ruby, bash, grep, and sed.
- New Copy Code modes: grep, sed, Swift, and Escaped Pattern.
- Ability to navigate through all matches using the new navigation buttons and keyboard shortcuts (Command-G and Command-Shift-G).
- Automatic detection and removal of extra backslash-escapes when pasting a regex from an external source.
- The replacement mode now highlights replaced text in the same style as in the search text.
- User interface improvements, performance enhancements for large files, improved regex syntax highlighting with more colors, bugfixes, and more.
Ratings and Reviews
Fast, effective for building or validating a regex against sample data
I love Patterns. Drop in some real samples I want to match against, as well as any false positives (things that are matching that I don’t want to match). Type in some fake ones as well if desired. Then build up the regex, keeping the handy cheatsheet up as necessary. I like the iteration it allows me.
Only things missing IMO are: 1 - ability to save a workspace, my #1 desire. I’d love to save both regexes and the samples I test it against, for later refinement or sharing. 2 - would like it to keep a scratchpad, a history of iterations. Would make it even more freeing to experiment, go back and forth, and recover complicated bits after working out another section of logic. Right now, to solve both of these, I keep a text doc handy and copy out my work (patterns and example text) frequently so I have a record of work.
Enjoyable Way Experiment & Learn
I’ve used regular expressions off and on for the past few decades - they are indispensable for certain tasks, and huge time savers in others. But I don’t use them constantly, which means I often need a quick refresher to get things working just right.
That’s where this nicely crafted app comes in. I find it a quick, and intuitive way to re-familiarize myself with the arcane workings of regex expressions.
My compliments to Nikolai Krill. Thanks for another great update!
Wonderful Regex Mockup Tool
I don't usually write reviews, but when I saw this tool show up with a major update, I couldn't help but contribute. I use this tool very frequently to mock up regular expression patterns and it fits the bill everytime. I love the reference sheet too--there have been times I launch Patterns just to use the Reference sheet!
If you want a great companion app for regular expressions, look no further, this is the premier one on macOS.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.