PECS IV+ is the solution for transitioning from PECS® to high-tech AAC. For learners who have mastered Phases I through IV of the Picture Exchange Communication System® using traditional PECS books, PECS IV+ is the high-tech next step! From Pyramid Educational Consultants, the developers of the evidence-based and world-renowned PECS®, PECS IV+ allows users to construct a multi-picture Sentence Strip™ via a dedicated Sentence Starter™ page and up to 20 digital PECS book pages for the in-app voice to speak.
Features of PECS IV+:
• Looks like a traditional PECS book with colored, tabbed pages with VELCRO® strips and a Sentence Strip so you can create a PECS IV+ book that looks identical to your student’s PECS book
• Drag and drop pictures from the tabbed pages to the Sentence Strip just like with a traditional PECS book
• Switch between pages by scrolling between and tapping on different tabs
• Rearrange pictures on the Sentence Strip without having to delete pictures
• Clear Sentence Strips with a single button push or clear individual pictures by swiping them back to the book
• Includes over 1,000 Pics for PECS images
• Integrated features from the PECS protocol such as constant time delay for the in-app voice
Customize each book:
• Open or close the dedicated Sentence Starter page with a single touch
• Create 1-20 tabbed pages
• Up to 24 pictures per page
• Customize each page by number of VELCRO® strips, color, category icon, and/or number of pictures on each page
• Use any of our included Pics for PECS images or add images from your photo library
• Change text on pictures
• Put text on top or bottom of pictures, or remove text from pictures
• Change size of pictures
• Search function for the Pics for PECS library included
• Use included customizable synthesized speech (AVSpeechSynthesizer) or record your own speech
• Incorporate the research-based constant time delay for ‘reading’ the Sentence Strip to create opportunities for the student to speak
Select from included profiles or create new profiles to customize:
• How pictures are moved: tap, drag or both
• How to clear (reset) the Sentence Strip
• Visibility of Sentence Starter page
• Reading Sentence Strip left to right or right to left
• When to read the Sentence Strip: as each picture is selected or with a single tap of the “Speak” button after the Sentence Strip is completed
Track student’s usage:
• Day by day list of Sentence Strips constructed by the student
• Weekly and monthly analysis of most frequently-used pictures
Pyramid Educational Consultants does not recommend starting functional communication training with an app or a speech generating device because these high-tech options do NOT require the social interaction that is crucial to communication and is the cornerstone of the Picture Exchange Communication System. Functional communication training should begin with a traditional PECS Communication Book. Research has shown that most learners can learn Phases I through IV of the low-tech PECS Communication protocol within 3- to 9-months.
Go to www.pecs.com for more information about PECS.
To view the PECS IV+ demo video or for more information about PECS IV+ visit www.pecs.com/PECSIV.
Bug fix - The app crashed, when the app was installed first time in iOS 11 and the mic was accessed.
More adjustments for iOS 10 and later.
Ratings and Reviews
Solo trabaja en iPad
Me gustaria poder bagarlo en mi iPhone no Siempre tengo la iPad conmigo 100 por el app minimum que se baje en in iPhone
Volume doesn't work
When I updated the device the volume on the Pecs program stopped working. I have to reboot the device for the volume to work. Not good when your autistic child is non verbal and can't use her words.
The App I've been Waiting For
This app is amazing! No more having to make PECs icons...no more Velcro, lamination, and cutting! This app allows me to make multiple boards to support my daughter's communication at home and school. I have also used it with my students of varying ages and abilities. As a special educator and parent, I recognize the value of having a time saver like this app. It is so easy to create new boards and the excellent graphics support vocabulary development and literacy skills. The other benefit is that it is easy for anyone- other adults and children too- to use the app while supporting the specific student. Kids are able to access the boards easily in order to model the use for the target student. It is worth the money. It is versatile and easy to use. It comes with a wealth of already made PECs images- pre-sorted into categories. I highly recommend the investment.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.