* Use Audiobus to connect, map and route MIDI inputs and outputs from physical devices and other apps, including individual inputs for each channel card synth as well as one for Page R MMC (start/stop control)
* The on-screen keyboard now shows which voice it will play, and automatically mirrors the first instrument channel when an instrument is selected
* New settings to control how external MIDI events are routed to the selected voice and Page R recording
* The selected voice now has its own MIDI channel, so you now have a 9-channel synthesiser
* Page 2 instrument voices now list their assigned MIDI channel number
* Page S (Sampler) tightened timing on recording start-- no longer records the last beep
* Improvements in iOS 12 and future compatibility
* fixes an occasional crash with MIDI in, especially in Page R
* fixes a crash in iOS 12 on phones when moving from Page 3 to Page R
* fixes the missing music keyboard in Page R on some phones
* fixes the crash when using the very quirky “MIDI by turns” setting
* fixes loss of audio after phone call interruption
* fixes the newsletter subscription process in the settings
* fixes audio shutdown and buzzing noise in background when Audiobus is connected and the "background audio" setting is off
NOTE: although this app appears as a source and destination for Inter App Audio, it is not configured to do so. Use Audiobus to route audio to and from apps that need IAA.
Ratings and Reviews
Edit: I read some other reviews to see if others had the same experience and found post describing how to access the rest of the soundbanks. It's half-hidden and takes several slow screen changes to get there, but I'm a bit more satisfied with the app now that I have access to some sounds.. adding a couple of stars, but still think the app needs serious improvement - and is overpriced.
Original: I am reviewing the $10 demo version of this app. I have used apps with FREE demos that had more functionality than this one. It has only a small handful of sounds to play with. They are not editable. All tracking features are disabled in the demo. I don’t often leave reviews - and have never left a negative one until now - but, I’m really disappointed. Apple needs to do better at filtering BS like this.
I don’t doubt the full version is neat. If you really want to work in the Fairlight’s archaic medium, buy the full version. Don’t bother with this waste of a Hamilton. Personally, I’m not about to shell out $50 for an emulation of an outdated, if nostalgic and historically significant, piece of gear.
I would gladly pay $25 for the Pro version. $10 for the standard. $50 is way too much. I don’t get it why not even drop the price 2x a year for the in app purchase $15 or $20 for a few days. $30 for the Pro version the apps will sell like hot cakes.
The MELLOTRONICS app with Sopranotron seems more like a deal than the CMI pro or even the Moog with IAPs. I hope the developer run some price drops some day for a few days. The spike in the number of apps sold will be astronomical.
Good effort, could be great with 2 changes
Any keyboard playing nerd who remembers the 80's knows the Fairlight. $50 is a no-brainer for something like this, the hardware cost more than a house in the 80's. However, there are a two things this app needs more of.
1. More Series III sounds.
2. Export to wav file.
I wouldn't even mind if there was an option pack for the full S-III library that was a paid option, but come on Peter, don't be stingy!
What most reviewers don't appreciate is that the Fairlight was not a modern workstation, nor is this emulation meant to be anything more than reincarnating something old. Fairlights needed proper outboard gear to make it sound great in a mix. GarageBand it is not and never will it be. It's way cool to get to play around with the original interface. It was groundbreaking stuff 25-30 years ago.
Like I said, for $50 it was a no brainer. If you've ever lusted after a Fairlight, then this will be worth the trip down memory lane.
- Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- 86.8 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- CMI Pro Upgrade $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.