Travel back in time to the dawn of electronic music with this strange retro app – a MIDI player preloaded with 500+ legendary CMI (Computer Musical Instrument) sounds.
The first byte-perfect re-issue of the classic CMI sounds of the 80s, immortalised by artists including Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Trevor Horn, Thomas Dolby, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and so many more.
This app includes a play-only demo of the famous ‘Page R’, which was the world's first screen-based rhythm sequencer. Today every sampler, digital synthesiser, sequencer and audio workstation can trace its lineage back to this legendary machine.
Now you can have, in your pocket or on your iPad, a piece of history developed by Peter Vogel and other music nerds who worked on the Fairlight* CMI in the '80s.
- browse and play the entire original CMI IIX Sounds floppy disk library
- 564 voices imported digitally.
- play the CMI voices from an external MIDI input (supports Core MIDI devices. Line6 MidiMobilizer II or Akai SynthStation require MidiBridge or similar), or use the on-screen keyboard
- display voices graphically using the iconic Page D, and change your viewpoint by tilting your iPhone/iPad.
- play built-in CMI Page R compositions or import and play compositions sent to you by others.
- authentic CMI user interface experience, including floppy disk quirks.
UPGRADE to PRO VERSION
Use the in-App upgrade process to add “pro” features for an additional $39.99. Vogel CMI Pro App includes CMI III voices, the ability to compose 8 track songs using the Page R pattern sequencer, sampling your own voices from the microphone or line in and much more. See the “Vogel CMI Pro” app description for details.
I would have never dreamt in a million years to own a Fairlight. It is the stuff of legends! Beyond any ordinary man's budget! And for this day to come a reality for a mere $10!! I am in awe and shock! I cannot emphasize how thankful I am to you for releasing this Iconic and Legendary instrument as an iPhone application!! (Imad Hamadieh, Dubai, UAE)
When I saw it yesterday and found out about it, I just about fainted!!
Very nice app! A complete revival / reissue of the best computer musical instrument ever in a tiny but very useful format. It is a joy to see an epic piece of synthesizer/sampling history as an app for the millions. Finally you can take your Fairlight wherever you are! A Fairlight to go-go-go! (Freek Roffel, Netherlands)
Again I would like to take a moment and extend a huge THANK YOU to the entire Fairlight team. ... You have taken the time and patience to create an affordable solution for the masses. ... You have given us a gift. I am truly excited to see what users will do with this App to change the future of music once again. Sincerely, thank you. (Zacharia Malakai, USA)
All I can say is WOW!! I have put this thru my BIG speakers in my studio and put a little reverb on and the sound is stunning – SO what am I going to do with my Fairlight CMI-IIx now?? (Howard J Smith, USA)
This App will work on any device running iOS 7 or later. However, if you want to use Audiobus or do heavy performance and composing work with the Pro upgrade, we recommend a minimum of iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4 or iPad 2.
*Fairlight is a trademark of Fairlight.au Pty Ltd Australia
* Use Audiobus to connect, map and route MIDI inputs and outputs from physical devices and other apps, including individual inputs for each channel card synth as well as one for Page R MMC (start/stop control)
* The on-screen keyboard now shows which voice it will play, and automatically mirrors the first instrument channel when an instrument is selected
* New settings to control how external MIDI events are routed to the selected voice and Page R recording
* The selected voice now has its own MIDI channel, so you now have a 9-channel synthesiser
* Page 2 instrument voices now list their assigned MIDI channel number
* Page S (Sampler) tightened timing on recording start-- no longer records the last beep
* Improvements in iOS 12 and future compatibility
* fixes an occasional crash with MIDI in, especially in Page R
* fixes a crash in iOS 12 on phones when moving from Page 3 to Page R
* fixes the missing music keyboard in Page R on some phones
* fixes the crash when using the very quirky “MIDI by turns” setting
* fixes loss of audio after phone call interruption
* fixes the newsletter subscription process in the settings
* fixes audio shutdown and buzzing noise in background when Audiobus is connected and the "background audio" setting is off
NOTE: although this app appears as a source and destination for Inter App Audio, it is not configured to do so. Use Audiobus to route audio to and from apps that need IAA.
Ratings and Reviews
Edit: I read some other reviews to see if others had the same experience and found post describing how to access the rest of the soundbanks. It's half-hidden and takes several slow screen changes to get there, but I'm a bit more satisfied with the app now that I have access to some sounds.. adding a couple of stars, but still think the app needs serious improvement - and is overpriced.
Original: I am reviewing the $10 demo version of this app. I have used apps with FREE demos that had more functionality than this one. It has only a small handful of sounds to play with. They are not editable. All tracking features are disabled in the demo. I don’t often leave reviews - and have never left a negative one until now - but, I’m really disappointed. Apple needs to do better at filtering BS like this.
I don’t doubt the full version is neat. If you really want to work in the Fairlight’s archaic medium, buy the full version. Don’t bother with this waste of a Hamilton. Personally, I’m not about to shell out $50 for an emulation of an outdated, if nostalgic and historically significant, piece of gear.
I would gladly pay $25 for the Pro version. $10 for the standard. $50 is way too much. I don’t get it why not even drop the price 2x a year for the in app purchase $15 or $20 for a few days. $30 for the Pro version the apps will sell like hot cakes.
The MELLOTRONICS app with Sopranotron seems more like a deal than the CMI pro or even the Moog with IAPs. I hope the developer run some price drops some day for a few days. The spike in the number of apps sold will be astronomical.
Good effort, could be great with 2 changes
Any keyboard playing nerd who remembers the 80's knows the Fairlight. $50 is a no-brainer for something like this, the hardware cost more than a house in the 80's. However, there are a two things this app needs more of.
1. More Series III sounds.
2. Export to wav file.
I wouldn't even mind if there was an option pack for the full S-III library that was a paid option, but come on Peter, don't be stingy!
What most reviewers don't appreciate is that the Fairlight was not a modern workstation, nor is this emulation meant to be anything more than reincarnating something old. Fairlights needed proper outboard gear to make it sound great in a mix. GarageBand it is not and never will it be. It's way cool to get to play around with the original interface. It was groundbreaking stuff 25-30 years ago.
Like I said, for $50 it was a no brainer. If you've ever lusted after a Fairlight, then this will be worth the trip down memory lane.
- Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- 86.8 MB
Requires iOS 12.1 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2011-2019 Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- CMI Pro Upgrade $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.