Travel back in time to the dawn of electronic music with this strange retro app – a MIDI player preloaded with 500+ legendary CMI (Computer Musical Instrument) sounds.
The first byte-perfect re-issue of the classic CMI sounds of the 80s, immortalised by artists including Alan Parsons, Jean Michel Jarre, Trevor Horn, Thomas Dolby, Brian Eno, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Stevie Wonder and so many more.
This app includes a play-only demo of the famous ‘Page R’, which was the world's first screen-based rhythm sequencer. Today every sampler, digital synthesiser, sequencer and audio workstation can trace its lineage back to this legendary machine.
Now you can have, in your pocket or on your iPad, a piece of history developed by Peter Vogel and other music nerds who worked on the Fairlight* CMI in the '80s.
- browse and play the entire original CMI IIX Sounds floppy disk library
- 564 voices imported digitally.
- play the CMI voices from an external MIDI input (supports Core MIDI devices. Line6 MidiMobilizer II or Akai SynthStation require MidiBridge or similar), or use the on-screen keyboard
- display voices graphically using the iconic Page D, and change your viewpoint by tilting your iPhone/iPad.
- play built-in CMI Page R compositions or import and play compositions sent to you by others.
- authentic CMI user interface experience, including floppy disk quirks.
UPGRADE to PRO VERSION
Use the in-App upgrade process to add “pro” features for an additional $39.99. Vogel CMI Pro App includes CMI III voices, the ability to compose 8 track songs using the Page R pattern sequencer, sampling your own voices from the microphone or line in and much more. See the “Vogel CMI Pro” app description for details.
I would have never dreamt in a million years to own a Fairlight. It is the stuff of legends! Beyond any ordinary man's budget! And for this day to come a reality for a mere $10!! I am in awe and shock! I cannot emphasize how thankful I am to you for releasing this Iconic and Legendary instrument as an iPhone application!! (Imad Hamadieh, Dubai, UAE)
When I saw it yesterday and found out about it, I just about fainted!!
Very nice app! A complete revival / reissue of the best computer musical instrument ever in a tiny but very useful format. It is a joy to see an epic piece of synthesizer/sampling history as an app for the millions. Finally you can take your Fairlight wherever you are! A Fairlight to go-go-go! (Freek Roffel, Netherlands)
Again I would like to take a moment and extend a huge THANK YOU to the entire Fairlight team. ... You have taken the time and patience to create an affordable solution for the masses. ... You have given us a gift. I am truly excited to see what users will do with this App to change the future of music once again. Sincerely, thank you. (Zacharia Malakai, USA)
All I can say is WOW!! I have put this thru my BIG speakers in my studio and put a little reverb on and the sound is stunning – SO what am I going to do with my Fairlight CMI-IIx now?? (Howard J Smith, USA)
This App will work on any device running iOS 7 or later. However, if you want to use Audiobus or do heavy performance and composing work with the Pro upgrade, we recommend a minimum of iPod Touch 4G, iPhone 4 or iPad 2.
*Fairlight is a trademark of Fairlight.au Pty Ltd Australia
• Better iOS14 compatibility
• Fixes random crash on startup
• Fixes crash on startup when you select the wrong voltage
• Better iOS 13 compatibility
• Replaces the obsolete channel volume setting with a mixer output setting (for some external audio devices that were saturating)
* Use Audiobus to connect, map and route MIDI inputs and outputs from physical devices and other apps, including individual inputs for each channel card synth as well as one for Page R MMC (start/stop control)
* The on-screen keyboard now shows which voice it will play, and automatically mirrors the first instrument channel when an instrument is selected
* New settings to control how external MIDI events are routed to the selected voice and Page R recording
* The selected voice now has its own MIDI channel, so you now have a 9-channel synthesiser
* Page 2 instrument voices now list their assigned MIDI channel number
* Page S (Sampler) tightened timing on recording start-- no longer records the last beep
* Improvements in iOS 12 and future compatibility
* fixes an occasional crash with MIDI in, especially in Page R
* fixes a crash in iOS 12 on phones when moving from Page 3 to Page R
* fixes the missing music keyboard in Page R on some phones
* fixes the crash when using the very quirky “MIDI by turns” setting
* fixes loss of audio after phone call interruption
* fixes the newsletter subscription process in the settings
* fixes audio shutdown and buzzing noise in background when Audiobus is connected and the "background audio" setting is off
NOTE: although this app appears as a source and destination for Inter App Audio, it is not configured to do so. Use Audiobus to route audio to and from apps that need IAA.
Must be 7
Ratings and Reviews
Edit: I read some other reviews to see if others had the same experience and found post describing how to access the rest of the soundbanks. It's half-hidden and takes several slow screen changes to get there, but I'm a bit more satisfied with the app now that I have access to some sounds.. adding a couple of stars, but still think the app needs serious improvement - and is overpriced.
Original: I am reviewing the $10 demo version of this app. I have used apps with FREE demos that had more functionality than this one. It has only a small handful of sounds to play with. They are not editable. All tracking features are disabled in the demo. I don’t often leave reviews - and have never left a negative one until now - but, I’m really disappointed. Apple needs to do better at filtering BS like this.
I don’t doubt the full version is neat. If you really want to work in the Fairlight’s archaic medium, buy the full version. Don’t bother with this waste of a Hamilton. Personally, I’m not about to shell out $50 for an emulation of an outdated, if nostalgic and historically significant, piece of gear.
Too buggy and too pricey
I really want to like this app more, but it's just way too buggy, especially for what the developer charges. I would eventually like to get the Pro version for the authentic Fairlight experience; however, this version doesn't inspire any sort of confidence that I would get my money's worth were I to upgrade... Before I updated to 2.4, I had issues with connectivity and midi not working properly. Now with 2.4, it won't respond to polyphonic note input, be it from the internal onscreen keyboard, or from an external source. I've found out it's a bug, because only 2 times since the recent update have I been able to get it to play polyphonically, and each time when I closed the app, polyphony was lost. If you really want Fairlight sounds, you're best off getting this Lite version, and sampling it inside of a DAW.
To add salt to the wound, the developer has never responded to any of my emails inquiring about and addressing bugs (dating to 2 years back when I purchased this), and the app rarely gets updated (making it borderline abandonware), so you're left with a barely functional app. It's truly overpriced for what you get, even at half the price. Unfortunately, I'm not very optimistic that this will ever get on par with other sampler apps. Hopefully the developer proves me wrong.
Great demo, small problem.
It crashes on start. As soon as I open up the app, it crashes. I've tried everything from clearing my cache to deleting and reinstalling the app. Nothing has worked. Please fix this.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- 86.7 MB
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.1 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2011-2021 Peter Vogel Instruments Pty Ltd
- In-App Purchases
- CMI Pro Upgrade $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.