Match the Jolly Phonics pairs with over 126 different phonics picture cards!
Available in British, American and Australian English.
Match the different phonics pairs and learn the 42 different phonetic sounds.
Phonics Match is designed to help children get familiar with the 42 sounds of the English language, rather than the alphabet. By combining matching pairs with phonics, Phonics Match improves your child's cognitive skills in a fun and playful way.
The game includes a wide selection of colorful cards and children can match pairs within specific phonics groups or can play a fully random game of matching pairs.
Phonics Match runs great on all devices running iOS 7.0 or higher.
• Choose between British, Australian and American English.
• 42 different letter cards and 126 different phonics picture cards.
• Play by phonics group or play a fully random game.
• Collect stickers after each game, 58 different sticker designs included.
• Fully Voiced by B.J. Rowling, cousin of Harry Potter author J.K.Rowling.
• Colorful graphics and simple interface which is easy to use for kids.
• Choose between lowercase, uppercase or mixed casing characters.
• Based on the Jolly Phonics system, published by Jolly Learning Ltd.
• Our parental gate keeps your child within the app.
- Minor graphical updates.
- Metadata updates.
Ratings and Reviews
The content of the app is quite unique as it offers the correct phonics! Most of the other apps I have tried do not do this so well done!
Good but not perfect
This is the only app I've found that offers synthetic phonics, as taught in UK primary schools which means it deserves a good rating for that alone! Other 'phonics' apps have nothing to do with real synthetic phonics, and just follow the alphabet. For example, they do not teach the sounds that are created by two written letters (sh, ch, th, oa, ee, oo er, etc...). This app does teach this, which is great. Also, the spoken sounds are the correct units of sounds (/s/ not /suh/, /m/ not /muh/) which is rarely done on these apps.
I have only given 3 stars for two reasons:
1. It would be good to have a little variety in the games - they are all matching memory games, so it's not too versatile, and children will get bored quickly. Perhaps a couple of other options, eg. bingo, listen and spell, match the word to the picture - all standard teaching tools.
2. The bigger reason - the speaker of the sounds is not a native English speaker. She has a very good accent, but it's not perfect (her pronunciation of 'tie' and 'pig' do sound quite foreign, whereas other sound she does very well). Given the nature of the app (teaching units of sound) correct pronunciation is vital. A British speaker (and an option for a US speaker for American users) would be essential if this app is to hope to have any long term success.
Very good Jolly Phonics app, my daughter is getting much better with the groups.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Bram Van Damme
- 70.5 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Little Big Steps Apps
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.