Unlock your creative potential! Discover how to easily turn any Sun, Moon and Milky Way scene you imagine into a real picture… and start shooting truly legendary photos every time you pick up the camera!
Whether your passion is to capture beautiful landscapes, immortalize the infinite night sky, surprise the bride and the groom in their happiest day... or to travel the world, PhotoPills will make you love exploring new artistic possibilities to tell visual stories in a way it wasn’t possible before.
* All in one app
PhotoPills is your iPhone and iPad personal assistant in all photographic matters. It provides tasty remedies to answer most of the questions when planning and shooting your creative ideas:
- The First 2D Map-Centric Planner: Sun, Moon, Milky Way
- Sun, Moon Alignments Fast Finder
- 3D Augmented Reality: Sun, Moon, Milky Way, Celestial Equator, Polaris, DoF, FoV
- Photo Plans Manager
- Location Scouting Tool
- Key information: Sunrise/set, Twilights, Golden Hour, Blue Hour, Moonrise/set, Supermoon dates, Moon Calendar
- Calculators: Long Exposure, Timelapse, Spot Stars, Star Trails, Hyperfocal Table, DoF, FoV
- Widgets: Sun, Moon, Milky Way
- PhotoPills Awards… and much more!
* Endorsed by Masters
“PhotoPills is an invaluable tool which I use every time I plan a shoot.” – Mark Gee, Astronomy Photographer of the Year.
“A tool every photographer should have.” – Kevin Raber, Luminous-landscape.com.
“It pays off! Using such a tool ensures that we are repeatedly capable of quickly planning powerful shots; leaving maximum opportunity for more creative ruminations.” – José B. Ruiz, Innovation Award, Wildlife Photographer of the Year.
* How it works
Have you ever walked around a place and thought: "What a pity the Moon isn't EXACTLY right there... I would have captured a great photo!"? What about the Sun? And the Milky Way? Well, now you can let your imagination fly and calculate when this specific magic moment happens in just a few seconds:
- IMAGINE: the Milky Way arching over a powerful landscape, a giant full Moon appearing from behind a nearby hill or a sunset between two rocks on a magic beach... The only limit is your imagination!
- PLAN: easily calculate the exact date and time the scene you’ve imagined happens. Work smarter, not harder!
- SHOOT: just get out there, immerse yourself in the great outdoors, and enjoy living and capturing unique moments.
* Become a Legend
Because we know the huge amount of time, energy and love you put in your photos. We want to HONOR them, SHOW them to the World, and REWARD you with up to $6,600 in cash prizes. It's easy and FREE! Just submit your creative photos from PhotoPills and join the Legacy!
* Never waste an unmissable scene again
Create a To-Do list of planned photos and get to the location on time.
* Get it right
Adjust your frame for the best composition before you shoot. Use the 3D Augmented Reality Views to see whether Sun, Moon and Milky Way will be at the desired position when pressing the shutter.
* Explore, discover great places and create your own database of locations
If you come across a location you’d like to remember, save it as a Point of Interest.
* Enjoy all daily information in just one swipe with the Widgets
Just swipe down from the top of the screen to get all the Sun, Moon and Milky Way events for your current location and date, in addition to your upcoming photo plans.
* Get more than an app
Our goal is not only to help you plan your shots, but also to help you nail them. Whenever you need help, take a look at our How-To articles and videos, join our free online courses or just contact us!
“This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the blue pill – the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take PhotoPills – you stay in Wonderland and we show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes. Remember: all we’re offering are Legendary Photos and Goosebumps in your skin, nothing more.”
- Bug fixes
We've improved the Planner:
- Updated the 2nd top panel of the Planner. Now it also shows the apparent height of the Sun, Moon, Milky Way arch or Galactic Center above the Black Pin terrain. Do you want to plan a Moon shot over a 20m bulding? Place the Black Pin on the building and move the time and the Red Pin so when the Moon is aligned with the Black Pin, this 2nd top panel says the moon is at 20m. This panel also shows the size (in meters or feet) that the Moon or Sun will have in the Black Pin position. Ah! and we take into account the curvature of the Earth to calculate the apparent height :)
- New Sun/Moon Planner map calculator. Easily calculate the shooting distance for a specific Sun/Moon size compared to a subject. The Planner will draw a circumference around the Black Pin showing the distance you have to place the Red Pin to get the size of the Sun/Moon you want. You can enable this tool from the Map Settings button, located on the map, next to the (+) button.
- Added an option to manually set the altitude for the Red and Black Pins. In the Planner, tap More > Altitudes to manually set the altitudes.
- When you do a long press on the center of the time bar, now it spans 15 minutes instead of 1 hour. This way you can change the time more slowly to better align the Sun, the Moon or the Milky Way.
- Added the option to use real Sun and Moon azimuth lines on the map, taking into account Earth curvature (enabled by default). Now PhotoPills will be more accurate for really long distance shots. You can switch this option off/on from the Sun/Moon layers you'll find in the Map settings button, on the map, next to the (+) button.
- Latitude and Longitude coordinates now show 6 decimal places instead of 4.
- In the Find > Sun or Find > Moon tools, now the apparent height shown in the Elevation tab (Numeric bottom option) is referred to the Yellow/Blue Pin terrain instead of Red Pin terrain. This way you don't have to do any mental calculation when planning the Sun/Moon at certain height above the ground level of your subject.
- New cameras: Canon EOS RP; Film camera 24x65 XPan, Medium Format 5x12, 6x10, 6x12, 6x17, 6x24, 6x7, 6x8; Fujifilm FinePix XP140, X-T30; GoPro HERO7; Leica D-Lux 7, M10-D, Q-P, Q2; Nikon Coolpix A1000, Coolpix B600, Coolpix L830, Coolpix P600; Panasonic Lumix DC-FZ1000 II, Lumix DC-S1, Lumix DC-S1R, Lumix DC-ZS80 (DC-TZ95); Ricoh G900, WG-6; Sony a6400; Xiaomi YI 4K.
- Bug fixes
Please, If you find a bug (or have a suggestion), send us an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll fix it as soon as possible :)
Ratings and Reviews
Please don't turn into Adobe!
First and foremost I'm a software user and the main reason I use Apple products is because of stability, they just work and I don't have to worry about them. One of the tools that I use the most in this app is the DoF Calculator. There is a serious problem with this part of the app that literally freezes the app with no response. There's been over three updates since I noticed this problem and it still is a reoccurring problem. The thing that confused me more is that these newer features are being put into the application with this problem still existing! I've deleted the app and reinstalled it and it still does not fix the problems that keep on reoccurring. I really am about stability first in features second. I would really appreciate it if you guys could make this a priority and fix it!
Developer Response ,
Hi! We've already detected the error and it will be fixed in the next update. We'll release it as soon as possible. Sorry for inconveniences.
UPDATE (Oct 26): The DoF Table bug has been fixed in version 2.5.2. Sorry for the inconveniences.
Incredibly useful, but sometimes confusing
If you’re a photographer, this is one of the most essential apps you can have on your phone, bar none.
My only real complaints are that the user interface can be confusing at times. For example, I can never seem to remember how to add a location in the planner “pill”, which often has me going to The Photographers Ephemeris to find what I need.
Besides UI tweaks (can we please have the ability to customize the pills order? 🙏), I would love to see an Apple Watch app! I envision customizable watch complications and small functions like long exposure timers and DOF & exposure calculators. It’d be great to see the sun & moon timelines in the large complication slot! I’m crossing my fingers that this is on the feature list… 🤞
Developer Response ,
I LOVE this AP
I'm a landscape photographer and I've been using this app for a long time. You can see my work on instagram (joshua_p_crites) or 500px. This AP has saved me many hours of wasted trips. At first it was a little intimidating, but after watching a tutorial and using it a little bit, I love it. If you're a photographer who is interested in sunrise, sunset, moonrise, moonset, Milky Way, or Astro photography this is the app for you. The only thing that I would love to see incorporated into this would be a tide chart and swell info, otherwise it's awesome.
- PhotoPills S.L.
- 64 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2015 PhotoPills, SL. All rights reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.