Piano Companion is a music theory app which helps songwriters, producers, teachers and their students. It’s a flexible piano chords and scales dictionary with user libraries, reverse mode, the circle of 5ths, chord progression builder with common patterns. If you can’t remember the name of a piano chord or scale, this app helps you to find it by keys or using your external MIDI keyboard. For example, just press C, G and you will get C Major as the first piano chord in the search result. If you don’t see a piano chord or a specific scale, you can create a custom piano chord or scale and use it for chord charts or your user library.
The Piano Companion app shows chord and scale notes on the grand staff, degrees, relative scales, intervals, fingering for both hands in major and minor scales – and you can contribute your own custom fingering too. You can practice scales in different keys and clefs, practice progressions. Additionally, you can listen to how a scale or chord sounds in the loop or arpeggiated. You can see the list of compatible chords in the selected scale or list of compatible scales for a selected chord.
The app helps you to compose, practice progressions and experiment with different chord progressions using our Chord Progression Builder with relative or common chords.
- 1500+ piano chords, up to 6th inversions such as major, minor, diminished, augmented, sevenths, etc.
- 10,000+ scales, such as Ionian (major), Aeolian (minor), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Harmonic minor, Melodic Minor, chromatic, pentatonic, blues, etc.
- Chord Progression builder with scale patterns (chord sequencer)
- Interactive Circle of Fifths with grand staff and relative scales
- Ability to input your own custom chords and organize your own chord charts and library
- External MIDI keyboard support for reverse mode
- MIDI output with the ability to connect your favorite DAW (Ableton, Garage Band, etc.) with Piano Companion
- List of available chords in Circle of Fifths, practice common chords.
- Popular key notations: English, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian, etc.
- Shows chord and scale in different octaves on the grand staff with treble and bass clef
- Analytical labels: Secondary Dominant and Secondary Leading-Tone
- Common degrees: Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, Leading tone (in Major scale) / Subtonic (in Natural Minor Scale)
- Displays compatible chords’ scales
- Ability to create custom chords or modify existing ones
- Audio support: the ability to play a chord in the loop or arpeggio; ability to play a scale in the loop
- Arpeggio in the chord progressions
- Relative chords in chord progressions
- You can create your own scale fingering and have the ability to use community scale fingerings
- Custom chord libraries and chord charts
- Ability to create favorite scales
- Chord Intervals: Unison, Perfect Fifth, Major Third, Minor Third, etc.
Has 1 year subscription for $1.99.
Payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase.
Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current period.
Account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours of the end of the current period, and the cost of the renewal will be provided. Subscriptions may be managed by the user. Auto-renewal may be turned off by going to the user’s Account Settings after purchase.
No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period.
Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when the user purchases a subscription to that publication.
Follow us on
Have questions? Community forum: http://forums.songtive.com or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Introducing Patterns for Chord Progression. You can record a pattern that could be used for specifying how to play a chord in a progression.
Let us know what you think, more updates are coming soon.
Love our app? Please rate us - each vote is very important for us! Your feedback keeps us motivated to continue development.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Give it a try, and you will see why I recommend buying the full app. It is a purchase that pays for itself many times over.
Extremely helpful and I wish I found it sooner!!
Within the time that I have discovered this application to now i can already tell how valuable of a resource this is going to be, especially taking university level music classes. Any struggling student just take the time to look for other resources to develop the necessary skills and with so much information to learn it can be an extremely daunting task. However Piano Companion has all that information and more within the basic version alone, including a virtual piano, Chord Progression generator, and even a Chord Dictionary!
The only suggestion I have is redesigning the presentation of the info, particularly in the Chord Dictionary section where it has lots of helpful things like piano diagram of the chords along with quality and an audio snippet of said chord when tapped on, however there is an overwhelming amount of information all at once when taking into account the diatonic chords, 9th, 13th chord, etc. When i opened the app initially i was immediately intimidated by it but after really looking through it i was able to decipher what i needed vs what was there because it simply exists. Cutting out the fluff with help streamline the use of the app and the user will have a much more straightforward experience, no explanation or intimidation (ideally).
Still overall I believe this application will give me the boost i need in my classes and really improve/expand my knowledge as a musician. 10/10 would recommend.
Developer Response ,
Thanks so much for your feedback! We are still thinking how to improve onboarding experience. It's really hard to find the balance between different level of user knowledge.
This is a must-have tool for music students and teachers.
- Songtive SIA
- 133.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2018 Songtive
- In-App Purchases
- Scales PRO $1.99
- Chords PRO $1.99
- Progressions PRO $2.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.