Piano Companion is a music theory app which helps songwriters, producers, teachers and their students. It’s a flexible piano chords and scales dictionary with user libraries, reverse mode, the circle of 5ths, chord progression builder with common patterns. If you can’t remember the name of a piano chord or scale, this app helps you to find it by keys or using your external MIDI keyboard. For example, just press C, G and you will get C Major as the first piano chord in the search result. If you don’t see a piano chord or a specific scale, you can create a custom piano chord or scale and use it for chord charts or your user library.
The Piano Companion app shows chord and scale notes on the grand staff, degrees, relative scales, intervals, fingering for both hands in major and minor scales – and you can contribute your own custom fingering too. You can practice scales in different keys and clefs, practice progressions. Additionally, you can listen to how a scale or chord sounds in the loop or arpeggiated. You can see the list of compatible chords in the selected scale or list of compatible scales for a selected chord.
The app helps you to compose, practice progressions and experiment with different chord progressions using our Chord Progression Builder with relative or common chords.
- 1500+ piano chords, up to 6th inversions such as major, minor, diminished, augmented, sevenths, etc.
- 10,000+ scales, such as Ionian (major), Aeolian (minor), Dorian, Phrygian, Lydian, Mixolydian, Locrian, Harmonic minor, Melodic Minor, chromatic, pentatonic, blues, etc.
- Chord Progression builder with scale patterns (chord sequencer)
- Interactive Circle of Fifths with grand staff and relative scales
- Ability to input your own custom chords and organize your own chord charts and library
- External MIDI keyboard support for reverse mode
- MIDI output (iOS) with the ability to connect your favorite DAW (Ableton, Garage Band, etc.) with Piano Companion
- List of available chords in Circle of Fifths, practice common chords.
- Popular key notations: English, Italian, German, Japanese, Russian, etc.
- Shows chord and scale in different octaves on the grand staff with treble and bass clef
- Displays compatible scales’ chords
- Displays similar and relative scales
- Analytical labels: Secondary Dominant and Secondary Leading-Tone
- Common degrees: Tonic, Supertonic, Mediant, Subdominant, Dominant, Submediant, Leading tone (in Major scale) / Subtonic (in Natural Minor Scale)
- Displays compatible chords’ scales
- Ability to create custom chords or modify existing ones
- Audio support: the ability to play a chord in the loop or arpeggio; ability to play a scale in the loop
- Arpeggio in the chord progressions
- Relative scale suggestions
- Relative chords in chord progressions
- You can create your own scale fingering and have the ability to use community scale fingerings
- User libraries with the ability to add scale or chord
- You can create your own chord libraries and chord charts
- Ability to create favorite scales
- Chord Intervals: Unison, Perfect Fifth, Major Third, Minor Third, etc.
Prompt support from the Piano Companion Team is guaranteed! We would also be happy to hear your suggestions for Piano Companion.
Follow us on
Have questions? Community forum: http://forums.songtive.com or contact us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Another major update is here. We added support for dark mode in iOS13.
More and people were asking for that and it's finally here; we added the inversion control for Chord Details.
Removed enharmonic roots such as: Cb, B#, E#, etc.
Added advanced Scale Filter.
Love our app? Please rate us - each vote is very important for us! Your feedback keeps us motivated to continue development.
Have a question? Tap Help in the app or visit forums.songtive.com.
Ratings and Reviews
Best of the best
This is my go to app for everything related to scales and chords. Additionally it has the best and most useful circle of fifths of any other app. Included is every possible musical scale under the sun, but it is also nice that you can create a folder of just your own favorite scales. It also shows common fingering for scales and you can create your own custom fingering.
Much better than before
Thanks for updating the app. After hiding the enharmonic keys it seems much easier to find keys/signatures/scales I’m used to seeing. For example I’m used to seeing B Major instead of Cb Major.
Again thank you. And I hope the app can improve even further.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for the feedback! I've just released the update that should hide enharmonic keys. Please let us know if it works for you and rerate us since each vote is very important for us. Feel free to ping me if you have questions: email@example.com
The only app I’ve bought more than once
First on a new Google account, then when I switched to iOS. It’s exactly what I need in a reference when making music. What is there to say? You don’t need anything else.
- Songtive SIA
- 95.4 MB
Requires iOS 9.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Arabic, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © 2018 Songtive
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.