• #1 Most Downloaded Game (April, May, June, July 2021) — Japan Mac App Store!
• Featured in Apple's "What We're Playing", "Games We Love" and "Best Games Made in France"!
• "Beautiful, minimalistic and highly addictive." — TouchArcade
• "A simple but captivating game." — Mac4Ever
• "From us, this small but fine application therefore receives an absolute recommendation." — Appgefahren
• "Whether you're a fan of the game or not, Piccolo will make you love Othello." — MaxiApple
Piccolo® is the best Othello app for iPhone®, iPad® and Mac®. It features a strong, fast AI on top of a polished user interface, with beautiful themes, advanced features, online play and more. Piccolo is available in 20 languages and comes with no ads or tracking. It's an Othello app made for Othello players by Othello lovers.
• Strong AI: Piccolo features a custom Othello AI engine written in the Rust programming language, designed to be fast, challenging and customizable. The AI's default Level 1 difficulty can be beaten by beginners, while its Level 8 difficulty is likely to challenge even top Othello masters around the world. Designed from scratch, the Piccolo AI engine is sure to give seasoned Othello players a new type of opponent to play against, with often surprising and creative strategies.
• User Experience: Piccolo features a native user experience designed for iOS and macOS. A modern design lets you focus on the game, with helpful move indicators, the ability to undo moves, and automatic game saves between every move in case you close the app by mistake or your phone's battery runs out. Multiplayer play is supported both locally and online.
• Themes: Piccolo features a variety of beautiful themes to customize and breathe fresh life into your Othello experience. Othello veterans might enjoy sticking to the Classic theme, while others might prefer the handsome Seasoned Wood theme, the adorable Sailor Moon theme or even the Persian Spray theme, inspired by traditional Iranian ceramics. Additional themes designed by guest artist Aline Corrêa are also available, giving you access to an Othello game on top of an alligator lake, inside an ancient castle, next to Egyptian pyramids, and more!
• Cute iMessage Stickers: Send cute “chibi”-style iMessage stickers to your friends with Piccolo's bundled iMessage Sticker Pack! Featuring 36 custom illustrations drawn by anime artist Erica Li, the stickers feature Piccolo's adorable mascot in different relatable situations.
• No Ads, No Tracking: Unlike a majority of games on the App Store today, Piccolo has no terms you need to accept before playing. Piccolo will never show you a single ad, and will never track you. The app is entirely a labor of love for the game of Othello, made by players for players.
• Available in 20 Languages: Thanks to contributions from players around the world, Piccolo has been translated from English into Arabic, Chinese, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish and Vietnamese. No matter where you are, Piccolo's interface will be easy to understand.
Othello® is a registered trademark of MegaHouse Corporation. Piccolo: Othello is an independent implementation of the underlying game, which is placed in the public domain.
This update brings improvements to the AI engine's strategy algorithms, and improved compatibility for macOS Sonoma.
Ratings and Reviews
i really love everything about it! i have a request/some feedback though.
i recently got into othello this year, but it’s probably one of my favorite little games to just play. i discovered it in a hatsune miku minigame on my 3ds that i played all the time and took everywhere with me! and when i found out it was actually othello and there were apps for it i got so happy. i’ve tried other othello apps and this one seems to be my favorite.
i do have a request though, could you please add a new mode for single player/where you control both black and white? i saw it in another othello app, it’s for playing by yourself or with someone else in person. i have an ipad and id love to play othello in person with my friends, but the only game modes on my favorite piccolo are AI and online.
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for your kind words. The feature you're referring to already exists: simply go to settings (button on the bottom right of the screen) and disable the AI by activating the "AI Disabled" toggle. This will effectively make it such that two people can play on the same device, since the AI is now disabled. You can even set a name for the second player.
The only Othello app you will ever need!!!
The developer of this Othello app has a Doctorate from the best PhD program in mathematics in Europe (ENS Ulm) and it clearly shows. The AI is just superb. It is a pleasure to play at level 1 for beginners (yes, you can win at this level) and you still have 9 more levels to explore. The latest and highest level will be challenging even for Othello champions. It's totally free (but you can contribute by buying goodies if you feel like acknowledging the amazing programming and AI behind this cute game). In short, truly challenging, free, no ads, with 10 levels of difficulty, and you can play with your friends too.
Great app. No ads, no tracking, a pleasure to play. One problem though: the sound is either on or off. Trying to make the “clicks” more quiet using my iPad +/- buttons does nothing. If the sound is on, the iPad will play them even if the volume is all the way down.
UPDATE: The sound problem is fixed. This is now a 5-star app, easily the best Othello in the app store.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your review. The issue you're describing has been fixed in the version 2.12 update, which should be released soon. Should you find the fix satisfactory, we would very much appreciate it if you could then update your review! :-)
Thank you for playing!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Symbolic Software
- 54 MB
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
English, Arabic, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Hebrew, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Turkish, Ukrainian, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- © 2021-2023 Symbolic Software. All Rights Reserved. Piccolo® is a registered trademark of Symbolic Software.
- In-App Purchases
- Theme Pack: Around the World $2.99
- Theme Pack: Great Painters $2.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.