“…a powerful music utility that is perfect for getting reacquainted with your favorite tunes.” — John Voorhees, MacStories.net
”…undeniably one of the most powerful and accessible general-purpose players available today.” — Marc Barrowclift, barrowclift.me
Featured in Macworld, MacStories, and Mac & i magazine, Picky is for people particular about their music, giving you full control over how you browse and listen to your albums and songs.
‣ Picky keeps your Artists and Albums lists uncluttered by hiding those with only a few songs – simply adjust the filters to taste.
‣ Queue up tracks to play later: simply swipe to the left on a song until the ‘+’ icon appears and turns solid orange, then let go to queue it.
‣ Use Picklists to quickly play (or queue) groups of songs – like playing an album without its bonus tracks.
‣ Easily sort the main Albums list and artists’ album lists with just a couple taps: by title, release date, duration, or by date added to your library.
‣ Picky lets you easily filter your Songs and Albums lists by genre (or by multiple genres). You can do things like quickly put together a mix by opening the filter, tapping on a few genres, and then closing it and tapping Shuffle.
‣ You can use the Artists and Songs filters to keep singles and one-hit-wonders tucked away, or bring them into focus when you really want to listen to them.
‣ Picky intelligently combines both grouping by artist and by album artist, so you'll always find your songs where you expect them to be. But if you prefer just one of the groupings, you can easily change that with a setting.
‣ Quickly see the list of your currently playing songs by simply swiping up in the Now Playing view.
‣ Quickly search across your entire music library with just a few taps.
‣ Picky is designed for iOS 15 and supports widgets, Dark Mode, Split View, AirPlay 2, iPad trackpads, Context Menus, VoiceOver, headphone remotes, iTunes Match, and Apple Music that has been added to your collection. You can use Picky exclusively or seamlessly switch between it and the system Music app.
Picky: for listeners with refined taste.
‣ Fixed a few bugs with how albums with missing release dates are handled
‣ Search your albums by year! Typing a specific year into the search bar won’t just pull up title/artist matches but also any albums with a matching release date
‣ Play, shuffle, or queue an entire set of album or song search results with convenient new buttons
‣ Fixed a bug where the Now Playing bar could stop updating when returning to the app after enough time away
‣ Reissues with bonus tracks now use the original album release date if it differs from the date the bonus tracks are tagged with
‣ Playlist sort options now just apply temporarily instead of across all playlists and app sessions
‣ Fixed a crash that could happen if a playlist was edited outside of the app while its details were open in Picky
Ratings and Reviews
The last update created bugs.
The last update of picky created some bugs that did not exist in previous versions. I hope I can explain it in words, but here goes.
When it is displaying this song on screen is being played along with the album art,The line that shows the time remaining on the song is right in the middle of the album art.
And sometimes even the title of the song displays in the middle of the album art .Not on every song but enough to be annoying.
These two bugs happen when the iPad is in landscape mode.
In portrait mode this doesn’t happen but the screen doesn’t look as good as it did before the update.
And the size of the album art can be very small or very big. Prior to the update it matched the size of the image that I copied into iTunes.
I will keep using the app however because it is by far the best one out there.
Developer Response ,
Hi there, sorry about the bugs — but I do appreciate the feedback! If possible would you be able to email me a screenshot of the artwork issue in question to email@example.com, as well as what model of iPad you’re using? I’ll do my best to get this fixed ASAP.
Thanks for your patience,
Simple and beautiful
Been getting really frustrated with Apple Music and bugs they are refusing to fix (think it’s a feature on some of them) but I digress… Instead of just complaining about it, I went searching for a third party app. I just need something for local music and cloud streaming from my iTunes Match subscription (been a subscriber for close to 10 years now). Picky seemed to be the best of the bunch. Available in my region and regularly updated by the developer and reasonably priced. I made the purchase and have been using it for the last hour and really impressed and happy. It’s like Music from a few years ago. So simplistic and basic. I don’t need any extra features, it all is here and it works! And it looks fantastic. Thank you for this awesome app and job well done. I’m happy and hoping to keep using this for many years to come.
Still loving it many months later but wanted to provide an update:
I canceled iTunes Match and found out that you can use Picky and “delete” the default app, but doing so will delete all downloaded music from your iPhone. But I deleted and then reuploaded directly from my Mac and didn’t have to redownload the default Music app. I am now using Picky all on its own and can sync from my Mac using the “Music” app with no issues.
However, doesn’t seem like you can use Picky while using iTunes Match or Apple Music if you want to get new music onto your iPhone, unfortunately.
But this saves me $25 every year now!
Still the Best!
For eight long years I’ve relied on Picky and year after year the developer continues to support it. Tons of new features have been added in that time without forcing users to completely relearn how to use the app. That alone would be worth five stars but even more amazingly is that the dev is ultra responsive to requests and bug reports (of which I’ve noticed very few). It’s highly customizable and performance is solid. What more could you want from a music player?
Developer Response ,
Thank you, I’m glad you’re so happy with Picky! Here’s to the next 8 years! 🥂
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Charles Joseph
- 8 MB
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 15.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 15.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 12.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2012-2022 Charles Joseph
- In-App Purchases
- Picky Deluxe $4.99
- Amazing Tip $4.99
- Unbelievable Tip $9.99
- Generous Tip $1.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.