Pigeon helps public transit commuters avoid delays, crowds and other public transit disruptions with real-time, crowdsourced updates and departure times for the subway, bus, train, and ferry. We’re THE app for locals who are tired of unexpected delays or service changes and want to escape the crush of the rush-hour crowds. We bring you the most real-time info on public transit straight from the source: people riding on public transit, right now!
5-STAR USER REVIEWS
“My fave transit app.”
"This has quickly become my go-to app for commuting!”
"I get notifications from this app about delays, service changes, etc. the second they happen.”
"Mixture of Waze and subways together!"
“Great community of people that look out for one another.”
“A crowdsourced future!”
WHY USE PIGEON
1) Choose the best route: get all the real-time info you need to choose the best route on public transit.
2) Get home faster: save your commute information and receive notifications in advance of your departure about delays, reroutes, issues, and weather conditions.
3) Know about issues first: get notified about public transit issues you care about sooner.
4) Be part of the best community: be part of our Transit Heroes community--a group of riders that report observations and/or incidents to make the ride better for everyone.
* Commute Notifications: We warn riders about issues they may want to avoid before commuting.
* Transit Alerts: Keep Pigeon on your phone and be in the know about major disruptions.
* Send ETA: Tell your friends and family when you’ll arrive (and warn them about delays)!
* Accurate Duration Estimates: Transfer wait times are included in our estimates to give the most accurate ETAs.
* Crowdsourced Route Status: We use data available from local transit agencies as well as crowdsourced data to update route statuses.
* Real-time Train Crowdedness: If someone reports a crowd on a train, you’ll be able to see this at stations ahead.
* Pigeon avatars: Earn points for reporting to unlock your favorite avatar.
New York, Chicago, San Francisco, Boston, D.C. and Los Angeles
SYSTEMS WE SUPPORT
Subway, Bus, Rail, Ferry, Cable Car
Pigeon is FREE and available on iOS.
You can now tap on the moving vehicles on the map to learn more about your ride! As usual, we’ve also made various bug fixes and performance improvements to keep Pigeon running smoothly.
Ratings and Reviews
Pigeon is the 🐐 Subway App.
I highly recommend this app if you commute often, have more than one subway line near your place, or transfer trains regularly at busy stations. It provides real time options to make sure you arrive on time and with less frustration!
Three straight days, and three straight saves by Pigeon Transit when commuting from Brooklyn to meetings at Lincoln Center and Midtown East. Example: pigeon alerts me that L is having issues so I seamlessly audible on my walk subway and head toward the J train. At Essex st station, I intend to hop on the F, but F is stuck in BL due to mysterious issue (as noted by rider feedback) even though screens say it’s 5 min away, so I tweak the plan and catch the M to west 4th and the A at west 4th to arrive for meeting on time and not 10 minutes late. The app makes the subways come alive on the map and feel like they are working for me, not constantly letting me down...
Get this (free) app on your phone!
My fave transit app
If you live in NYC, you know that depending on the MTA daily is frustrating and confusing. Pigeon gives you the option to depend on other New Yorkers (for information, at least). I get notifications from this app about delays, service changes, etc. the second they happen. With the features like the daily commute notifications, my husband and I can plan when to leave our apartment to get to work on time. And we all know that just because the MTA says certain lines are working or not delayed it doesn’t mean everything is running correctly. Pigeon will give you way more specifics (2 min delay, busy station, train skipped station, etc.). Could go on and on. Love it!
Developer Response ,
Thank your for sharing your positive experience with Pigeon!! We appreciate it 👊🏼
I like it but..
This app is really good. I use it everyday so that I can see when the bus is coming. It usually works all the time. Either the bus comes earlier which is good or the bus comes a little late. I don’t really care about that though. The thing is it’s 35 which feels like 20 degrees in New York and it said that the 24 was delayed. Than the bus came later on. I just want to know real facts on when the bus is delayed or coming later than usually bc I have a parents that want me to go straight home when I get out of school for me to take care of my dogs and my puppy. I can’t be waiting for a bus that’s going to come in a hour or 30 minutes. Also school I can’t be waiting for a bus that’s either delayed or coming late. This is my opinion I’m not sure if it had happened with others but this was a problem for me.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.