- "Wow — just wow, I've played with nearly ALL of the pixel editors out there (I use them daily) and none come close to this in terms of slickness.", UK
Do pixel editors have to be as retro as pixel art itself? No! Professionals, hobbyists and newcomers – rejoice! Pixel Playground is here, and it's powerful, beautiful and simple.
- Document bounds grow as needed
- Simple & clean with no clutter between you and your art
- Super responsive drawing, pan & zoom
- Unlimited undo steps
- Portrait or landscape anytime
- Freehand, lines, boxes, ellipses, flood-fill
- Cool auto contour tool
- Powerful selection: paint mask using regular tools
- Intuitive tool size: matches finger-tip size at any zoom level
- Cut, copy, paste
- Smart palette with existing document colors
- Extensive palette with all recent colors
- Paint opacity setting
- Automatic color naming for easy reference
- Long press to sample existing colors
- Lock all pixels of one color
- Lock all pixels except one color
- Easily adjust existing document colors
- Auto erase when drawing on same color
- Syncs using iCloud
- Auto saves your work
- Export as regular PNGs
- Save to photos, air drop, facebook, twitter, etc.
- No in-app purchases
- Magic undo/redo transitions
- Minimal file size (1,5 MB!)
WHAT USERS THINK
- "I'm a HUGE fan of Pixel [Playground]! It's the only iOS pixel art app that's as well designed as iOS itself. Almost every design decision is perfect.", US
- "This is Absolutely what you should expect from a great pixel art tool. Some of the tools here work like magic. Nice touches everywhere in the app.", UK
- "Extremely feature rich but not bloated. Love the factual names of the colours too.", UK
- "This really is a great pixel editor. The interface is refreshing and there’s a surprisingly robust toolset augmented with useful gesture controls. Pixel drawing is precise.", US
- "The tutorials are fun and very effective at teaching the app’s features.", US
- "Inuitive, fast. Really surprised to see several really cool tools. Lock color. Draw to select. Long press to sample. Nice.", Denmark
- Workaround for a bug in iOS 13 which made saving to camera roll not work.
Ratings and Reviews
Great features and interface
This really is a great pixel editor. The interface is refreshing and there’s a surprisingly robust toolset augmented with useful gesture controls. Pixel drawing is precise. The tutorials are fun and very effective at teaching the app’s features.
I hope the developer gets enough interest to continue enhancing the app. A few recommendations:
- The paint tool should be in the toolbar, it’s the most used tool. You could combine file and settings (or move settings to Settings) and remove the clear tool since that’s not something you want to hit accidentally (and it’s in the pencil menu anyway).
- The palette and pencil menus need to be compacted so they don’t scroll. And after tapping an item the menu should dismiss.
- A major grid lines option, like 8 x 8, would be helpful when you are working with specific-sized drawings. An extra bonus: isometric grid line guides.
- An option to have a specific canvas size that doesn’t automatically expand or contract.
- It would be nice to know the current zoom level. I can’t tell what’s 100%, if there is such a thing. The three-finger zoom out gesture will zoom in if the drawing is small. It’s confusing.
Perfect open pixelart playground
This is the best pixelart editor in the app store, no questions asked. The quick two finger pan/zoom and the easy access to colors make drawing pixel art a fun activity. The nice touches like long press to snag a color and double tap to "lock" a color really makes editing quick.
When you realize that the canvas will grow as you need it, you suddenly ask why doesn't any other app do this.
There are only a couple suggestions for my specific use case. 1. I sometimes need the canvas to be locked to a specific size, I have a very specific use for the art and need to know where the "edge" of my canvas will end up.
2. Improved pallete. Right now it's great to pick and reuse colors, but I found myself trying to make a gradient of greys for a very small and specific picture. It became a bit tedious when I couldn't figure out where I was and how much to change the current color.
- To help this would give me the ability to create a new color but start with the one I'm currently using (copy color?)
Other than those little tweaks, this is my #1 choice for pixel art on my iPad! Thanks for the great work!
So cute but needs improvement
This app is really cute, but there are a few bugs etc. that should be worked out. whenever i export a photo to “save photo” (camera roll), the app crashes.
also, there needs to be some way to easily understand the size of the canvas you’re working on. i know it’s pixelated, but whenever i get into the single pixel line drawings, they export SO small.
it would be nice to work with vector resizing instead, so you can get that really nice single pixel look, and then resize your drawing so you can have a high quality image.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Studio Mee
- 4.7 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2019 Studio Mee
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.