Full-featured and powerful image editing app for the Mac.
Pixelmator takes full advantage of the latest Mac features and technologies, giving you speedy, powerful tools that let you touch up and enhance images, draw or paint, apply dazzling effects, or create advanced compositions with ease. Once your images are ready, save them to popular image formats, share them via email or social networks, print them, or instantly add them to your Photos library. All right from Pixelmator.
Pixelmator 3.9 Classic is designed to integrate seamlessly with macOS Catalina's fresh and modern look, macOS Continuity features, like Handoff, iCloud Drive, and Continuity Camera, and it works wonderfully together with Pixelmator for iOS.
A powerful, pixel-accurate collection of selection tools
• Quickly and easily select any part of an image
• Edit and apply special effects to parts of your pictures
• Select and remove unwanted elements of your photos
• Cut out objects from one image to place in another
Top-notch painting tools
• Paint with Pixelmator as you would on canvas
• Use different brush sizes, shapes, hardness, and blending modes
• Adjust brush settings to get just the look you want
• Cover any area with beautiful gradients and color fills
• Correct wrinkles and repair scratches
• Make flaws vanish from your photos, remove or rearrange objects in a composition
• Blur, sharpen, lighten, or darken specific areas
• Reshape areas to subtly improve or give images a completely unexpected look
• Combine different tools and effects for an endless number of ways to refine your images
• Easily add, create, combine, and edit shapes
• Quickly add lines, circles, rectangles, polygons, and many more custom shapes
• Effortlessly apply shadows, fills, and strokes for more advanced shapes
• Create buttons, icons, web page elements, illustrations, and much more
A real effects machine
• Play with over 160 breathtaking effects
• Combine different effects for unique, near-effortless artistic creations
An elegant collection of professional-grade color correction tools
• Adjust exposure, hue, saturation, shadows and highlights, brightness, contrast, and much more
• Replace and remix colors
• Dramatically improve less-than-perfect images with one click
• Easily add non-destructive layer effects like shadows, outlines, color, gradient fills, or reflections
• Combine a set of effects to create and save your own unique layer style presets
• Or just use any of the Pixelmator Team-designed layer style presets
• Apply any of the layer style presets using drag and drop
• Launch Pixelmator directly from Photos and save edits back to the original image
• Open and save images using PSD, JPEG, PNG, HEIF, TIFF, PDF, and many other popular formats
• Open and save Photoshop images with layers
• Open and save 16-bits per channel images
iCloud, sharing, and saving for the web
• Let iCloud automatically store your edited images and seamlessly sync your work across all your Macs
• Skip manual saving of your documents thanks to Auto Save
• Email your photos right from Pixelmator
• Optimize and save images for use on your web pages, blogs, photo albums, and more
Editing extensions for the Photos app:
• Retouch photos with powerful Pixelmator retouching tools right inside the Photos app
• Reshape images with Metal-based Pixelmator distort tools without leaving Photos
Built exclusively for Mac
Pixelmator uses a wide range of macOS features and technologies like Cocoa, Metal, Core Image, Grand Central Dispatch, 64-bit, FaceTime camera, Automator, Full-Screen, built-in Sharing and much more. And Pixelmator’s beautiful interface and image editing engine are fully optimized for the MacBook Pro with Retina display.
Apple Design Award Winner
Best of Mac App Store 2011: App of the Year 2011
Pixelmator Classic 3.9.1 brings a few improvements and fixes.
• When transforming layers, the layer handles and outline will now be colored black.
• When using the Quick Selection tool, the selection preview was not being displayed correctly. Fixed.
• After importing a layer style, it would not immediately appear in the Styles palette. Fixed.
• After ungrouping an empty group layer, no layer would be selected. Fixed.
• When copying and pasting a group layer from one document to another, the position of the layers inside the group would be incorrect. Fixed.
• The Eyedropper would pick colors in erased areas. Fixed.
• When browsing older versions of your documents, the previous version would be zoomed to 200%. Fixed.
• When browsing older versions of your documents, the current document was editable, when it shouldn’t be. Fixed.
• The hand cursor would be displayed in situations when it is not possible to scroll the image. Fixed.
• The maximum value of the Sketch effect’s Contrast slider was incorrect. Fixed.
Have any feedback about this update or Pixelmator Classic in general? Let us know at email@example.com!
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Please, please, please make the interface available in black print on white background!! I love this app, but it is so frustrating to use. I cannot see what I need to see. Not all of the users are young people with no vision issues! Everything is SOOOOOO small that I need magnifers to use the app. I have to go through all sorts of “contortions” to view layers because the pictures are too small. I cannot see the guides to adjust the size of an object. It does everyting I wanted - and more- but it is exhausting for me to use. I get tired and give up on it many times. Can you PLEASE help us senior citizens out and improve the interface? We need LARGE and EASY TO READ!
Lacks some essentials
I like to create artwork rom scratch and have all of the major programs (like Phosotshop, Illustrator, Painter, Sketchbook Pro and Pixelmator). I like the simplicity of the Pixelmator interface (unlike the unintuitive and exhaustive Photoshop user interface), but Pixelmator lacks 2 VERY essential tools: a decent airbrush tool and a way to create a mask (frisket) to airbrush into “clean areas” (think traditional airbrush work using cut frisket film). Photoshop makes this cumbersome and while Sketchbook Pro is perhaps the most natural and “lifelike” product to use, it also lacks a way to create a “frisket” or mask (Painter was once a decent program but has gone the route of Photoshop and has so many features it requires classes to use). Pixelmator has promise, but needs to add these essential features. I will also say the folks at Pixelmator respond to questions and I am rooting for them to create a new version for artists (and some new tutorials).
Too difficult to use for casual user
I am always banging my head getting this to work. Other apps it’s easy to do an effect, and I can find the parts in the app to do it, but it never works. I google, I try the online tutorials, and it doesn’t work. I see other people complaining about the same thing. No error message, just no result.
It shouldn’t be this hard. I fired up a different app (named after a tree seed) and found effects and it worked as expected first time (too bad their UI wasn’t as easy to navigate as Pixelmator).
If the devs are wanting this to be a photo editing tool for the common person, it needs to be less cryptic. My success rate of getting things to work following their video tutorials is 20%. I just bail and do something else. I love that they have all the videos, but there is a design issue or a UX issue, and I know it’s not just me because I see plenty of other posts online from others saying the same thing.
- UAB Pixelmator Team
- 112.4 MB
- Graphics & Design
macOS 10.13 or later, 64-bit processor
English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2007-2020 Pixelmator Team
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.