Peer to peer social media for humans, not algorithms.
Planetary passes data from friend to friend, creating a network that is personal, censorship resistant, and minimizes abuse and spam. Planetary gives you ownership over your relationships and content, and is compatible with any app using the Secure Scuttlebutt protocol.
In Planetary there are no advertisements or artificial intelligence algorithms trying to make you feel a certain way. Your content lives on your device and the devices of those around you, it isn't owned or controlled by a corporation. Experience social networking where you're the customer, not the product.
Unlike most social media, Planetary:
- Does not sell your data.
- Is naturally spam-resistant.
- Compatible with other apps including Manyverse, Patchwork, Patchfox, feedless, and more.
- Works off-grid and offline.
- Allows you to take your friends with you if you decide to move to another client.
- Is open source!
No one company should own the Internet’s public spaces, which is why we’re building on —and contributing back to— the open source Secure Scuttlebutt ecosystem. Their core technologies let us recreate a social network experience, but in a decentralized way that no one organization can dominate.
Hello friends! Our goal from the beginning was to make Planetary the world's first mainstream iOS client for Secure Scuttlebutt (SSB), a truly distributed social network protocol that doesn't store your data in the cloud. These new v2.0 versions of the app include significant rewrites that apply all our years of peer-to-peer expertise in the SSB protocol, fixing many bugs and performance issues you've noticed for a long time. Your app experience is now faster, more stable, and more intuitive. And for developers, since all of our code is open source, other SSB apps can also benefit from this hard work now and in the future. Enjoy, and as always, let us know of any ideas or bugs via the side nav in the app.
- Added multi-thread support, you will be able to create new threads by replying to a specific reply.- Added the ability to reply to a follow/unfollow/ignore message.
- Redesigned the screen that shows a specific message/post.
Ratings and Reviews
It keeps crashing
Please fix this because I want to use it. Also can you get on other social media and promote your app on there? You don’t have Twitter, VERO, Display, Odysee or anything like that. I honestly think people would use it more if you did that one. One more thing, we need a logout feature because there’s nothing like that on Planetary and I don’t like to stay on apps
Nice UI but not ready
For an app that markets itself as being for humans, I was very disappointed to find that there is no way to see which of my real life friends might be using it. So I'm literally just seeing a bunch of crypto posts from strangers. I have no need for more internet junk content that has no relevance to my IRL world. Deleting the app for now, but I'll reinstall it if they add a feature to search for my contacts who are using the app or a way to easily share my posts with friends outside of the app.
Nothing less than the future of social media.
A great user experience on top of peer to peer social networking with no central owners or control. What’s not to like? The team did an excellent job - this is the slickest decentralized social media app I’ve ever seen.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- User Content
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Verse Communications, Inc.
- 55.6 MB
- Social Networking
- Requires iOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
English, Catalan, German, Polish, Spanish
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- © Verse Communications Inc.