Imaging Edge Mobile allows images/videos to be transferred to a smartphone/tablet, enables remote shooting, and provides location information to images captured by a camera.
■ Transfer images from a camera to a smartphone
- You can transfer images/videos.
- The selection and transfer of images after shooting are no longer needed as the automatic background transfer function allows images to be transferred to a smartphone as they are captured. *1
- High bit rate video files including 4K can be transferred. *2
- You can view and transfer images in your camera from your smartphone even when the camera is turned off. *2
- After transferring, you can immediately share your high quality images on social networks or through email.
*1 See here for supported cameras. Files are imported in 2MP size when using this function.
*2 See here for supported cameras. Availability of video transfer and playback varies depending on smartphone in use.
■ Remote shooting of a camera using a smartphone
- You can capture photos/videos remotely while checking the live view of a camera on a smartphone. *3
This is convenient for capturing night views or water flowing scenes which need long-exposure, or macro shooting in which you need to avoid to directly touch the camera.
*3 Models that support PlayMemories Camera Apps can use this feature by installing "Smart Remote Control" (in-camera app) on your camera in advance.
■ Record location information
- With cameras that have a location information linkage function, the location information acquired by the smartphone can be added to the captured image in your camera.
For supported models and detailed operation methods, see the support page below.
- Even with cameras that do not have a location information linkage function, it is possible to add location information acquired by your smartphone to the photos saved on your smartphone during remote shooting.
■Save and Apply Settings
- You can save up to 20 camera settings in Imaging Edge Mobile.
You can also apply a saved setting to a camera. *4
*4 See here for supported cameras. Save and Apply Settings are supported only for cameras with the same model name.
- Supported operating systems: iOS12.4-13.3
- This app is not guaranteed to work with all smartphones/tablets.
- Features/Functions available for this app vary depending on the camera you are using.
- For supported models and information on features/functions, see the support page below.
- Fixed the issue that remote shooting or image transfer could not be started when connecting to the camera via Wi-Fi from the iPhone settings before launching the application.
- When the smartphone and camera cannot connect via Wi-Fi, a report can be sent to the developer in the dialog displayed by the app.
- Added FAQ of support page in "Help/FAQ(Wi-Fi connection)" of application.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
When I was trying to use this app with my Sony A6000 I found It functionally useless. However, I recently purchased a Sony RX10M4 and now find it quite useful. I can operate my Camera remotely while seeing through the viewfinder on my phone. I can trigger HFR shooting, and high speed drive multiple stills. Sure there are lots of things you cannot do but those are two important ones to me. Connecting is much better with the RX10 than the A6000. One significant irritation is that the WIFI link disconnects if you goto the camera and press the playback button to see a recording. On the iPhone, if you go to another app or even the main display, you have to restart your Imaging Edge session. It does not keep it active in the background. The session is still active but you have to push start for your camera. The disconnect when press camera playback is a significant irritation. Do not understand this limitation. Remote control of a camera is extremely valuable, I hope Sony will continue to expand hardware and software options in this area.
Well, just found out that you cannot start a recording with this app. It does support single and multiple shot drive, and you can trigger HFR sooting but only offers the shoot trigger otherwise. How can this be? How can Sony build such great Cameras and develop such crappy remote control apps. Thus has been going on for years. Had to buy a non Sony remote system to do things I cannot do wit Sony apps and remotes. How silly is this?
Works amazingly well
When I first bought my Sony RX100 V1 I could not for the life of me get this app and my camera to synchronize. After watching every video I finally complied a quality list of exactly the steps to get things working. The KEY to the whole procedure is to get the camera and the app to communicate with each other. Once you open your settings on your iPhone and click on WiFi you will see your regular home etc. WiFi Settings. Make sure your camera is on. It might take awhile but your camera WiFi setting will be entered into your list. Click on it and make sure once it takes over for your home WiFi it has to have a check on it. Immediately go to your app and make sure it’s opened. You will see what’s on your camera screen. You can then use your iPhone as a great remote. The procedure to get photos from your camera to your iPhone or iPod is different but the key is to make sure both are paired via WiFi. IT WORKS SEAMLESSLY except for videos. That’s another whole story. You must change specific settings in your camera menu and purchase a unit that can attach via usb to your camera’s charging cord and then into this new usb cord and that cord into your iPad via lightning connector.
This app is a joke
This thing is terrible. It's clunky, bug-ridden, and lacks basic functionality like the ability to transfer RAW files. Even some of the things it's supposed to be able to do don't work—I can't even transfer a full-res JPEG with this, although there's a setting to do that. This is why smartphones are eating the traditional camera industry's lunch—the workflow on a smartphone is so much smoother and more polished, compared to this barely-even-an-afterthought garbage that we get with "real" cameras. Seriously, this kind of trash software wouldn't even pass as a sophomore CS student's term project.
Sony, you can do better. You make incredible cameras that push the boundaries of what technology can do. You lead the camera industry in multiple areas, from sensor design to machine learning. You even make some pretty decent smartphones. Please devote just a tiny, tiny fraction of your immense resources to making this app what it should be. If you can create a seamless interface between your cameras and your customers' phones and tablets, your cameras will gain much greater appeal to a generation of photographers who are currently turning their backs on the traditional camera industry en masse. This app could be the bridge that brings an effortless mobile workflow to photography enthusiasts and professionals, which would be immensely powerful and advantageous. You can do it!
- Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc.
- 63.6 MB
- Photo & Video
Requires iOS 12.4 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Vietnamese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2012 - 2020 Sony Imaging Products & Solutions Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.