NO SUBSCRIPTIONS; we offer additional dictionaries, graded readers, and other features as one-time purchases, but there are absolutely no subscriptions in our app.
Pleco is the ultimate Chinese learning companion: an integrated dictionary / document reader / flashcard system with fullscreen handwriting input and live OCR, from a company that's been making the world's best mobile Chinese learning apps since 2001.
Major features: ($ = paid add-on)
• Amazing dictionaries. We offer two free built-in dictionaries: the popular open-source CC-CEDICT, with over 110,000 frequently-updated entries, and our own PLC dictionary, with 125,000 entries, parts of speech, and over 25,000 example sentences (with Pinyin). More than two dozen other dictionaries are available as free and paid ($) add-ons, including licensed titles from well-known publishers like Oxford, Longman, FLTRP, Tuttle, SLPH, and Commercial Press.
• Powerful merged search: look up words by Chinese characters, Pinyin (spaces / tones optional), or English, with support for wildcards and full-text search. And no need to tediously flip between all of those dictionaries to find a word - just type in your search term and instantly get a combined, frequency-sorted result list.
• Links and cross-references: easily look up character components, break down words into individual characters, look up lists of words containing a particular character, and search across all dictionaries for example sentences containing a word.
• Gorgeous typography: see it for yourself in our screenshots - we think we're one of the best-looking Chinese dictionaries around. Alternate Kai/Song/Xing-style Chinese fonts are also available ($).
• PRC/HK/Taiwan-friendly: every part of Pleco supports both traditional and simplified, headword readings can be shown in Pinyin and Zhuyin, and some dictionaries even support Cantonese. (note: stroke order diagrams do support traditional characters, but use PRC order)
• Audio: Hear Mandarin and Cantonese for words and example sentences using iOS' free built-in text-to-speech system. We also offer add-ons ($) with native-speaker Mandarin recordings and higher-quality Mandarin TTS.
• Document Reader: bring in text from the clipboard and tap on words in it to instantly look them up. Upgrade ($) adds support for tap-lookups in text, HTML, DOC, DOCX, PDF, and EPUB files. We also offer graded readings ($).
• OCR: look up words simply by pointing your device's camera at them, or by tapping on them in a still image. ($)
• Fullscreen handwriting: use your device's whole screen instead of just a little box. Extremely accurate and highly tolerant of stroke order mistakes. (enhanced $)
• Flashcards: create a card from any dictionary entry with a single button tap, import premade word lists, use advanced memorization techniques like SRS, and study in a variety of modes including fill-in-the-blanks handwriting and tone drills. ($)
• Stroke Order Diagrams: animations showing you how to draw each character; 500 characters for free, 28,000 in paid ($) version.
• User dictionaries: create new dictionary entries right on your device as you encounter new words. ($)
• No ads.
We also offer famously excellent customer support and an active user community at http://www.plecoforums.com. And we're constantly working to make our products better; our sales and customer base have been growing for 20 years across 4 different platforms. You can be confident that we'll still be fixing bugs and adding features for years to come.
Paid add-ons can be transferred to other devices that link to your iTunes account just like any other paid iTunes content; simply install our free app, open up the "Add-ons" screen, and tap on the "Restore Purchases" button to activate your purchase on each device.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org, via the form at http://www.pleco.com/contact.html, or using the in-app "Contact Support" command with any questions - we'll be delighted to hear from you.
Check out our new Mandarin Companion graded reader add-ons in the "Add-ons" screen.
In this release:
• Fixed a bug with reader dialogs in iOS 12 and earlier.
• Fixed definition ordering for a few simplified-to-itself-and-another-traditional-character mappings like 'yun' and 'hou'.
Previously in 3.2.60:
• Added option to limit spaced repetition flashcard tests to a specific number of cards. (though we still don't recommend doing that)
Also, see the "Flashcard Exchange" forum at plecoforums.com for an early set of flashcards for the new HSK 3.0 test. The schedule for the HSK to actually switch to that new vocabulary list remains murky, which is why we haven't built it into our app yet, but the list is available there if you'd like to study against it anyway.
Ratings and Reviews
Revolutionized my study of Chinese…again
I read a lot of obscure texts, and Pleco makes all the difference. It helps me look up words fast, then quickly create flashcards to build new words into my vocabulary. The one thing I regret is that for the past few years I cheaped out on dictionaries, and didn’t buy many of them. My reasoning was that since I had paper versions of them, why buy the electronic versions? Big mistake. This month I bought the Grand Ricci, the Hanyu Da Cidian, the Chengyu dictionary—well, basically all of the big ones. I’m really glad I did. When you read a text, it finds complex compounds that you would never think to look up in a bigger dictionary. So, if you use Chinese in your profession, get Pleco and buy those dictionaries. Oh, here’s some dictionaries I wish it had: Hucker, A Dictionary of Official Titles; Brunnert and Hagelstrom, Present Day Political Organization of China.
Update: still love it like crazy. I really also would still very much like to see Brunnert and Hagelstrom (which is in the public domain) and Hucker.
Lately I've really gotten into working systematically with flash cards. It's a great feature!
Best app I’ve ever purchased
I bought the Basic Add-on Bundle about 3 years ago. I bought it while in China purely for the OCR reader, and didn’t give much thought to the other add-one. Since then, I’ve continued learning Mandarin in my free time and I’ve come to realize one thing; when I’m studying, this app is absolutely irreplaceable. Even when I’m studying using a completely different resource, I always have this app pulled up. Even when I’m not studying, I find myself pulling up the app at least a couple times per day. I have got so much use out of it that I have no doubt in mind that it was money well spent. I’ve used it for hours upon hours, for years, and for what? For a ONE TIME payment of like $30 or w/e? Wish I didn’t buy it just so I could go buy it again lol (jk, to be clear)
I could go on and on about the numerous sweet functions, but I don’t want to write a novel. I do have to give the flash card add-on a special shout out, though. It’s much better than ANY dedicated flash card app (yes, including anki!)
If you’re even remotely considering buying the full version of this, DO IT. I 100% guarantee you won’t regret it.
BEST CHINESE LANGUAGE DICTIONARY
If you are a Chinese language student of either Mandarin or Cantonese then do yourself a service by downloading this app. It requires no account creation, allows you to customize your dictionary to your learning preference (for example; I was able to turn off all Mandarin/simplified/pinyin and have it only show me the Cantonese/traditional/Jyutping of words I need to know), has tons of free add ons that make the learning process more enjoyable and Pleco is planning on releasing a BUNCH more features in their 4.0 update.
Another fun aspect as a Cantonese speaker/student is that I can buy from their list of graded readers and books in standard Chinese and read them in traditional script with Cantonese Jyutping on characters I cannot read! So while I’m learning colloquial Cantonese terms from their free Hong Kong canto dictionary add on, I can also practice reading standard written Chinese whilst sticking to my Cantonese pronunciation.
Simply the greatest app/dictionary I’ve used in my Chinese studies and am so surprised yet thankful it is free!
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Pleco Inc.
- 87.3 MB
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.2 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.2 or later.
- Age Rating
- 9+ Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- © 2021 Pleco Inc. and its licensors
- In-App Purchases
- Basic Bundle $29.99
- Optical Character Recognizer $9.99
- Enhanced Handwriting $9.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.