Plex is your home for free TV and movies, giving you access to 80+ live channels and thousands of on-demand titles from around the world. Stream music, podcasts, news, and more, all wrapped in a beautiful interface. No other free streaming service delivers more content to more countries, all without a subscription.
• Thousands of FREE movies and TV shows from Oscar™ award-winning movies to cult classics, anime, documentaries, family-friendly shows, and much more from around the world.
• Live TV: Enjoy 80+ channels of free live programming—instantly. From food to news to sports to kids to international content, there's something for the whole family.
• Watch Together: Effortlessly watch Plex with friends and family across the globe. No counting down to press play at the same time. Start and stop simultaneously.
• All your personal media: Stream your own photos, music, movies, shows, even DVR-ed TV to any device in a beautiful, simple interface. Plex adds rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information.
• Web series, news, and podcasts on demand: Watch unlimited, on-demand streaming of the best-curated web channels and get personalized news and trusted video from over 190 global publishing partners. Discover new podcasts and enjoy variable speed playback, 30-second skip, rich discovery, and full Plex-style support for cross-device playback status meaning you can pick back up where you left off on any device.
• With you wherever you go: With Plex apps on virtually every platform and device, you can take all your news, TV, and internet entertainment on the go.
Visit our site for more information.
Note: Playing media from a personal Plex library on mobile devices is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked. For full functionality, you can get a Plex Pass -OR- make a small, one-time, in-app purchase to remove these limitations. If you have a Plex Pass or you’ve already purchased the app through the App Store, you do NOT need to purchase again! Your previous purchase will be automatically detected. Streaming personal media requires Plex Media Server version 1.3 or higher installed and running to stream to other devices. DRM-protected content, ISO disc images, and video_ts folders are not supported.
The app offers (but does not require) a Plex Pass In-App Purchase. Plex Pass is available for the equivalent of US$4.99 charged monthly to your iTunes Account, charged yearly for the equivalent of US$39.99, or as a one-off lifetime payment for the equivalent of US$149.99. Subscriptions automatically renew unless auto-renew is turned off in your iTunes Account at least 24 hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, charged at the same rate for renewals. Subscriptions may be managed and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your iTunes Account Settings after purchase.
- Sometimes playback would be stopped on a connected Chromecast device when backgrounding the app.
- The playback settings button was sometimes invisible on the player screen.
- Fixed an issue where the home screen and recommended screens wouldn't always update as expected.
Ratings and Reviews
For a long time, I couldn't find fault with this media app. It looks amazing and is extremely flexible and scalable. I use it at home on a Mac as the server and am able to run an Apple TV with its beautiful interface. My most irritating pair of bugs is with the iOS (iPadOS) app. When I'm watching content on my iPad, subtitles are shown when they shouldn't be. They show up as "OFF" in the settings, but they're most definitely on. The only way to get them to go away is to turn them on, then turn them off again. HOWEVER, after turning them on, the timing for tapping the required menu to turn them off again is very important, because there can be no subtitles present on the screen when the video is paused to turn subtitles off or that subtitle will be present at the bottom of the screen for the rest of the video, or until this whole maneuver is attempted again. Very distracting and an irritating bug to say the least. Most shows have a minute or two of recaps, so it's pretty much all nonstop dialogue (subtitles).
This all being said, the Plex team has created an AMAZING media environment for the user. This level of quality is what every media company should aim for. I'm sure once the folks at Plex discover this bug, they'll be able to squash it in short order.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for letting us know about your troubles. Unfortunately, we were not able to reproduce the issue. Would you mind filing it in the forums https://forums.plex.tv/ with the following information to help us debug it.
- logs https://support.plex.tv/articles/212639598-apple-tv-logs/ (Apple TV)
- logs https://support.plex.tv/articles/201636593-ios-logs/ (iOS)
- app version
- device version
Local server connections
I have always had trouble with the iOS versions of this app, even though I’m only connecting to a local server. The app on my Roku has no difficulty connecting to the same server. It is extremely frustrating. I am now completely unable to connect to the server from my iPad, despite having tried logging out and back into the app, logging out and using a wait list of local network connection, deleting the app and re-downloading it, deleting all three instances of the iPad app from my list of allowed devices in my account, etc. For some inexplicable reason, my Plex account has now decided that my iPad app is also a server, so some of the other client apps now list two entries for my iPad as servers.
Also, when my home Internet isn’t working and I can’t go online, even though my Plex server is on the same local network/router as Plex app on my phone, iPad, and TV, none of them are able to access the server. They all say that the server is unavailable. My SMB file sharing on the same Mac at the Plex server works fine, so it’s not a problem with my local network. I would think that playing files in Plex over the local network would not be affected by an Internet outage…
I’ve had so many problems with the iOS apps that I don’t see how the people at Plex hope to entice me to purchase a subscription when I can’t even really use the features that a subscription affords. The app is nice when it works, but far too often it doesn’t really work.
Plex is the beat
I love Plex for it’s beautiful organization and easy to use interface. Having almost all my media in one place has always been the dream and Plex has done that for me (for about 80% - still missing native audiobook support and support for eBooks). Having full control of my own personal media cloud and server has been incredible. The movie and show ratings from Rotten Tomato are awesome and being able to watch a trailer of something is convenient if someone wants a quick synopsis. I love being able to put all our childhood videos converted from VHS on my own cloud and give access to my family to see any of the embarrassing and amazing home videos anytime.
***DEVS: Would love to see a audio only version for Apple Watch for streaming or offline usage to listen to podcasts, music, audiobooks - Audible does this now which has been amazing. Being able to listen to Plex media with only a watch and bluetooth headphones would be a game changer. Also native audiobook support and support for eBooks would basically round out any media needs I could possible want to have in one app!
Love what the Plex teams does and always looking to see what they’ve recently added. More than happy to be a part of the Plex Pass Lifetime member. Keep up the amazing work!
Data Used to Track You
The following data may be used to track you across apps and websites owned by other companies:
- Usage Data
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Plex Inc.
- 197.1 MB
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.4 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.4 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Apple TV
- Requires tvOS 13.0 or later.
English, Afrikaans, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- 12+ Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- © 2011 Plex, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Plex Pass $4.99
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices) $4.99
- Yearly Plex Pass $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.