Plex magically organizes your media libraries and streams them to any device – including all your video, music, and photo libraries. With a Plex Pass, supported tuner, and digital antenna, you can also watch and record FREE over-the-air broadcast TV, including major networks. You can also enjoy podcasts Plus Plex News – the most balanced and comprehensive personalized video newsfeed out there. Try Plex FREE!
• Magically organize all your personal media – photos, music, movies, shows, even DVR-ed TV – and stream it to any device in a beautiful, simple interface, and Plex adds rich descriptions, artwork, and other related information
• Enjoy music streaming from TIDAL, including 59 million high-quality tracks and 250,000 music videos; augment your existing library or just listen to TIDAL—right in Plex
• Podcasts are here! Search for your favorites or discover new ones through personalized recommendations. Plus: 30 second skip, variable speed playback, rich discovery, and full Plex-style support for cross-device playback status (including On Deck, so you can pick back up where you left off on any device)
• Get personalized and trusted video news from over 190 global publisher partners (and growing!), including CBS, Financial Times, Euronews, and top local news sources for over 80% of markets in the US
• Cut the cord! Go premium with a Plex Pass and use Plex Live TV & DVR so you can watch and record free over-the-air HD TV, like NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX, with any supported digital antenna and tuner
• Enjoy free features, like remote access, sharing, security, and casting, see your media beautifully enhanced with rich descriptions, artwork, ratings, and more
• Enjoy premium features with a Plex Pass subscription: DVR & Live TV, Camera Upload, Premium Photos, Mobile Sync, Parental Controls, VIP Perks, and much more
NOTE: Playing media from your Plex library on mobile devices is limited (one minute for music and video, watermark on photos) until the app is unlocked. For full functionality, get a Plex Pass -OR- make a small, one-time, in-app purchase for app access. Streaming personal media requires Plex Media Server version 1.3 or higher installed and running to stream to other devices. DRM-protected content, ISO disc images, and video_ts folders not supported.
- Change default remote audio playback quality on Wi-Fi to original. This can be changed in the Settings > Quality menu.
- Fixed an issue preventing swipe-to-delete from working on the home hub reorder screen.
- Fixed an issue that could cause the play state of synced items not to sync back to the server.
- Having a linked TIDAL account which was expired could have caused 30 second previews to not work.
- The sync activity spinner was much too big. Deflated it to normal size.
- The "Playlists" tab would sometimes be missing for synced content.
- Sometimes the alphabet index bar would disappear when selecting the Library tab.
- Fix Live TV playback when Enhanced Player is disabled.
- Fixed an issue that could prevent synced music from playing.
Ratings and Reviews
Plex is the beat
I love Plex for it’s beautiful organization and easy to use interface. Having almost all my media in one place has always been the dream and Plex has done that for me (for about 80% - still missing native audiobook support and support for eBooks). Having full control of my own personal media cloud and server has been incredible. The movie and show ratings from Rotten Tomato are awesome and being able to watch a trailer of something is convenient if someone wants a quick synopsis. I love being able to put all our childhood videos converted from VHS on my own cloud and give access to my family to see any of the embarrassing and amazing home videos anytime.
***DEVS: Would love to see a audio only version for Apple Watch for streaming or offline usage to listen to podcasts, music, audiobooks - Audible does this now which has been amazing. Being able to listen to Plex media with only a watch and bluetooth headphones would be a game changer. Also native audiobook support and support for eBooks would basically round out any media needs I could possible want to have in one app!
Love what the Plex teams does and always looking to see what they’ve recently added. More than happy to be a part of the Plex Pass Lifetime member. Keep up the amazing work!
Local server connections
I have always had trouble with the iOS versions of this app, even though I’m only connecting to a local server. The app on my Roku has no difficulty connecting to the same server. It is extremely frustrating. I am now completely unable to connect to the server from my iPad, despite having tried logging out and back into the app, logging out and using a wait list of local network connection, deleting the app and re-downloading it, deleting all three instances of the iPad app from my list of allowed devices in my account, etc. For some inexplicable reason, my Plex account has now decided that my iPad app is also a server, so some of the other client apps now list two entries for my iPad as servers.
Also, when my home Internet isn’t working and I can’t go online, even though my Plex server is on the same local network/router as Plex app on my phone, iPad, and TV, none of them are able to access the server. They all say that the server is unavailable. My SMB file sharing on the same Mac at the Plex server works fine, so it’s not a problem with my local network. I would think that playing files in Plex over the local network would not be affected by an Internet outage…
I’ve had so many problems with the iOS apps that I don’t see how the people at Plex hope to entice me to purchase a subscription when I can’t even really use the features that a subscription affords. The app is nice when it works, but far too often it doesn’t really work.
Update is lacking...again
I usually don't leave feedback regarding updates, but I must in this case...
I'm a big fan of Plex, and mainly use it on Roku and IPad. I am extremely disappointed that the watch later feature was discontinued recently AGAIN which I used everyday! It was helpful to browse tv plugins on the iPad and add episodes to watch later......to then watch later on the roku....since the roku has NEVER had this feature since Plex was born. Please bring back the watch later feature asap, and please add this feature to Roku too! Also, I am happy with the new podcasts feature but would love a listen later feature for that too! I do not like the webisodes feature and don’t care to see it but there is no way to remove it? Still need tweaking with customization options. Plex is fantastic overall, but I'm giving 3 stars this time, because an update should not keep subtracting from the user enjoyment. Common sense says make things more user customizable, so people can choose what they want to keep and get rid of what they don’t want to see....and with as few clicks as possible too! Please fix what is lacking now, but once was there to enjoy.....for the 2nd time!!!
- Plex Inc.
- 230.6 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch. Apple TV.
English, Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Norwegian Bokmål, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Slovak, Spanish, Swedish
- Age Rating
- Rated 12+ for the following:
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- © 2018 Plex, Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- Monthly Plex Pass $4.99
- iOS App Activation (enable streaming playback on iOS devices) $4.99
- Yearly Plex Pass $39.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.