PocketCAS is the most advanced mathematics application for iPhone and iPad. It can help you with any kind of math problem, from elementary school all the way up to calculus, algebra and statistics. It can replace your old graphing calculator, help you with your homework, and assist you in any kind of calculation for university or work.
This app is an indispensable tool for every student, teacher and engineer. It makes college-level calculus and algebra easy and can help you in a wide range of cases. It provides features comparable with a TI-89 calculator and combines them with a modern, intuitive interface and incredible graphics capabilities.
- 2D Plots: Quickly create 2D cartesian, implicit, polar or parametric plots.
- 3D Plots: PocketCAS draws stunning 3D plots! Supports x-y cartesian plots, parametric area plots and parametric line plots.
- Animated plots: Use the variable 'anim' to animate any plot over time.
- Calculus: Calculate limits, derivatives, integrals and taylor expansions.
- Linear Algebra: Invert and multiply matrices or calculate determinants, eigenvalues and much more!
- Algebra: Perform integer and polynomial factorization and division, use permutations, and more.
- Solving: PocketCAS will solve almost any equation for you. It even supports systems of linear equations and ordinary differential equations!
- Scripting: PocketCAS' C-style scripting language allows you to define custom functions, use conditional expressions, loops and also supports recursion.
- Physical Units: Constants and units are provided out of the box. Simply enter physical formulas with the corresponding units and convert results to the units you prefer.
- iCloud support: Sync documents between your Mac, iPhone and iPad!
- Export: Print or export plots, entries or the whole document as PDF!
- Document Import: Load functions and variables from existing documents to re-use your work in other calculations.
- CSV Import: Load tabular data in CSV format and process it!
- Mathematical keyboard: PocketCAS' mathematical keyboard is unmatched on the App Store.
- Help: All functions are explained in the built-in reference. If you're stuck, there's plenty of tutorials as well as a manual (https://pocketcas.com/manual) to get you going. And you can always contact our support (https://pocketcas.com/support) for help!
- Offline computation: PocketCAS doesn't need an internet connection to calculate results.
"This program has an incredible amount of power for such a compact program. I teach high school math, and this program can work with all sorts of expressions, graphs, and help check my work. Definitely worth it!"
"You will love this calculator. It's powerful to calculate everything, doesn't matter you're a high school student or college student. Specially for the people who like to solve problems with graphs!"
"This app is so powerful and slick looking. It is totally amazing and what it can do."
"One of three Apps I use when teaching A Level maths. Have recommended to numerous students. Excellent."
"This is one of the best. The CAS capabilities are compatible to only two other apps, and this one is all offline and includes countless additional features. It's never steered me wrong and is the first thing I go to when I'm in a hurry to figure something out. If you're a student this is pretty much as good as it can get."
"I am 8 years old and this App is awesome! It helps you learn calculus quickly. It's a work of art!"
- Updated the CAS kernel to the latest version.
- This version should hopefully also fix a crash at launch on macOS 10.13 and 10.14.
Ratings and Reviews
Scripts for maximum extensibility
This has allowed me to derive and test solutions for computer algorithms. The greatest thing about this program is scripting. If a function doesn’t exist, you can create it using an already large set of functions. Such a great tool for price. I would like a full reference manual. It has so many functions, most are described in examples and manual. I seem to keep finding built in syntax that I cannot find out how to use.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you for the great review! I feel you with constantly finding new things. Maybe https://pocketcas.com/reference can help a bit. And if you have any questions, also feel free to contact us via the built-in support function at any time :-) Best, Daniel Alm
I have experience with Mathematica and a little with Maple (admittedly some few years ago) and I have been trying to do some modest computations and a presentation with PocketCAS. It has been extremely frustrating. The documentation for how this program works is extremely limited; well-written, extensive documentation might solve problems like mine but I've looked and not found it. A few simple examples do not suffice. A supremely detailed manual for the parent CAS, from which this seems to be an extremely limited and, to be honest, messed-up copy, is only frustrating.
I emailed the author once with no reply. I can find no forum where one might go to get questions answered. I sincerely wish Macs had a reasonably priced alternative to Mathematica or Maple which could just be bought and installed. I hoped it was PocketCAS but as of now, for me, it is assuredly not.
I would have graded this lower based on my experience but in deference to those who have found it useful, I did not.
Developer Response ,
Hi, we definitely reply to all support requests for PocketCAS. Would you mind reaching out again (possibly referring to your previous inquiries, so we can check what happened to those), so we can help you with any specific questions you might have?
This is an excellent App
Very easy to get up to speed and use. I wish it had a bit more fexibility in the input format of a matrix.
I'm using this app to examine thickness profile of a musical instrument reed database. I would prefer if 2D array variables were displayed as a matrix upon input rather than a string of vectors. Otherwise PocketCAS has been an excellent and convenient app to work with.
Developer Response ,
Hi, thank you for the friendly review! I'm not sure if this is what you mean, but if you select the full text of the matrix (e.g. [[1,2],[3,4]]) and press the "table" button in the top left of the entry editor, you can edit the matrix in a 2D view. Hope this helps; if I misunderstand you, please feel free to reach out via https://pocketcas.com/contact so I can help you in more detail.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Timing Software GmbH
- 21 MB
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
English, French, German
- Age Rating
- © 2023 Timing Software GmbH
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.