With PocketGrib you can download, view and analyse global weather data while on the go.
Wind, precipitation, pressure, temperature, wave and other data extracted from GRIB files are displayed through our powerful GRIB viewer interface.
Perfect for sailors (both sailing and in the pub), windsurfers, storm chasers, outdoor enthusiasts, amateur and professional meteorologists.
- Choose your map location and have weather information overlaid
- Animation of weather maps
- Weather can be viewed as a meteogram (graph) or raw data
- Configurable download to minimise file sizes (great for roaming)
- GRIB files can be downloaded to your PC via iTunes
- Displays online and offline
- Support for 3rd party GRIB files
PocketGrib downloads and displays the following weather types:
- Wind speed and direction (10 m above ground/sea)
- Precipitation (rain, snow etc)
- Air temperature
- Waves (including Mediterranean and Black Sea)
- Cloud cover
- Relative humidity
- CAPE (Convective Atmospheric Potential Energy)
- Current (Atlantic only)
- 500mb Height
Direct download of GRIB data from NOAA's GFS (Global Forecast System) model
- Forecasts up to 8 days
- Data steps: 3hr, 6hr, 12hr
- Worldwide coverage
- Resolution: 0.25°, 0.5°, 1°, 2°
- Data updated 4 times a day (every 6 hours)
Also support for COAMPS (0.2° resolution), WW3, NOGAPS, RTOFS (Currents) and FNMOC WW3 (Mediterranean wave) models.
GRIB forecasts are published without human intervention or review. As such, the end user requires some knowledge and awareness. Most GRIB models do NOT accurately forecast hurricanes and tropical cyclones so their use should be combined with specific hurricane and tropical cyclone forecasts.
-Additional GRIBs available in the Catalog
-Wind gusts now shown in the Data screen
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Invaluable for boating!
I've used this app for almost 3 years now and rely on it so much I feel guilty I've never provided a review.
I use this mainly for boating in the Upper Chesapeake. Power boating, not sail boating. In the upper bay both wind direction and wind speed play a role in how rough the water will be and I can use this app to show me when the tucking into a certain section of the bay or scooting into the Susquehanna River will find more protected waters at a given time.
I am a sailor, this app really works for me
Spend a little time learning the features and this app will become your first choice for passage planning.
You will find that you can minimize the download file size by selecting the area you are interested in, the parameters you want to see, and the number of days that are of interest.
Really good, easy to use app.
I have used this app for years. When I think about a passage I go here to check the conditions I will encounter. Easy to use. High on my list of really good apps.
- Nicholas Brennan
- 38.7 MB
Requires iOS 9.3 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Russian, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2010-18 Nicholas Brennnan
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.