“PolyNome is great for teaching, practicing and rehearsing. The rhythmic and the subdivision possibilities are endless. Plus, this is the only metronome I’ve used that you can actually LEARN from. Simple and brilliant: simply brilliant.”
Peter Erskine (Steely Dan, Weather Report, Kate Bush)
PolyNome gives you all the tools you need for practice, teaching, rhythm composing, and live performance. In addition, our free Public Library provides hundreds of user-created Presets and practice routines to inspire you.
Regularly improved and updated with new features.
The PolyNome ‘Pro’ version of this app has all the Pro features already enabled. This version of the app requires an optional subscription to Premium to enable certain features.
- Practice with full drum grooves
- Program any rhythm, no matter how complex
- Add stickings, flams, drags, accents and rolls to rhythms
- Automate entire practice routines*
- Set goals, schedule your practice, automatically track what you play, and keep notes in the journal*
- Voice count rhythms and time signatures with a couple of taps*
- Generate 2 & 3-way polyrhythms with ease*
- Generate stroke guides for rudiments*
- Add konnakol to any rhythm*
- Shift and randomise stickings and rhythms to generate new exercises and inspire new ideas*
- Precise and accurate metronome
- Faders for subdivisions
- 2 fully programmable independent sequencers
- Super fast tempo entry and Tap Tempo
- BIG NUMBERS DISPLAY
- Variable swing
- Any time signature
- Auto stop with rep counter
- Countdown timer + alarm
- Practice Events are logged. You can add notes to your events
- Subdivisions from whole note to 64th notes with EVERYTHING in between
- Flams, Drags, Ruffs, Diddles, Rolls, Ties, Accents
- Dotted notes
- Haptic pulse
- Audiobus/AirTurn/iRig compatible
PREMIUM FEATURES (available with in-app purchase)
- Track your practice time. View charts of what you've worked on. Set goals.
- Randomise rhythms and sounds for ear training and groove creation
- Record/Export audio file
- 200+ more sounds, including DrumLine
- 6 Octave Piano Keyboard
- Konnakol entry
- Import setlists from Tempo or Tempo Adv
- Create band setlists with count-offs and song notes, and generate PDFs
- If you enter the lengths of the songs, PolyNome calculates the set length as you add them!
- Create songs/clicks with multiple tempos or time signatures
- Create nested tuplets
- Create a "Cue Track" by turning on Auto Announce.
- Auto tempo change for quick warm-up/cool-down routines
- Advanced voice counting helps you when working on odd-time signatures
- Subdivision counting for 16th notes, triplets, or 8th notes
- Auto-Counting adds correct voice count to your rhythms!
- View statistics and graphs of your practice time
- Daily Journal for general notes
- Test your timing with random muting of notes or bars
If you sign up for the optional Premium subscription, payment will be charged to your iTunes account at confirmation of purchase after any free trial. Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period. Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period. Subscriptions may be managed by you and auto-renewal may be turned off by going to your Account Settings after purchase. Any unused portion of a free trial period will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription to ‘Premium’, where applicable.
Introducing Exclusive Live Demos and Q&A sessions!
PolyNome Premium subscribers now have exclusive access to regular Live Demos and Q&A sessions with PolyNome creator, Joe Crabtree.
Get your questions answered, learn the power-user features of PolyNome, and connect with other like-minded musicians in the virtual lounge.
Check the PolyNome Inbox for registration links.
If you enjoy using PolyNome and have a few minutes to leave a review, they've very much appreciated.
And, if you have questions, or find bugs in the app, you can email me at firstname.lastname@example.org
Thanks for using PolyNome!!
Ratings and Reviews
Paradigm Shifting Metronome & Metronomic Learning Tool
This app will change your life. On any instrument, it is the perfect companion and there’s no metronome that even comes close. It has any choice of sounds, subdivision overlay faders, two separate rhythm entries plus with two Lines each that can reflect the selected sticking from multiple sounds in each limb, polyrhtmic and counting full screen visuals, online public community library of presets and playlists, playlists that cycle presets and sub presets, setlists, the list goes on, on. The bottom line is if you’re in anyway interested in the world of rhythm, this app is worth every cent. We have a lot to be grateful for from drummer Joe Crabtree, it’s sole developer. Have a new idea or an issue with the app? He’ll hear you out and address it. This app is almost perfect as is, albeit with a relative learning curve that pays dividends (aided by joe’s vast video tutorials linked within the app and beyond). This app will only continue to grow in scope and sweetened layout ergonomics. With this tool, our learning is only limited by our imagination and discipline. Thanks Joe.
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the kind words and glowing review. PolyNome really is my baby, and I’m constantly working to add new features and fine tune the existing ones. I’m so pleased that you’re making good use of it.
Perfect practice app
I recently decided to pull out the old iPad apps I have for guitar and make use of the metronome again for practice. All of them work fine but I began to ask myself some questions. Why can’t I have some sort of count-in? Why can’t I organize things better for practice and have multiple BPM sessions with different time signatures? I know, I know. I’m being picky but I was a little annoyed by these “missing” features in most of my apps.
I had noticed that a friend of mine was using PolyNome and he thought highly of it so I thought I would give it a try. WOW!! I was stunned at how complex this app was and how flexible it could be. I can’t find anything so far that I can’t set up for an efficient practice workflow.
There is a bit of a learning curve at first but lots of videos and docs make the learning easy. I immediately signed up for a lifetime subscription and don’t regret it at all.
Used to love this app
Haven’t been a fan since it was rewritten, and everyone had to pay for the Pro version a second time. I feel like maybe the devs are trying to do too much with it. The interface seems cumbersome. It definitely is not something to use when you just need a simple click, as you have to program in a rhythm before the metronome will even work. Who’s ever heard of a metronome that you can’t just hit Play and go? Also, the app has an inbox? That’s annoying. Is there a way to avoid receiving messages unless they’re of vital importance?
I originally got PolyNome because I wasn’t entirely happy with Tempo Advance’s weird interface. I was perfectly happy with the original version, and I wish the devs would have kept it available with occasional compatibility updates as necessary. The new version makes me consider going back to Tempo Advance. At least it’s equally usable/fast whether you need a simple click or a complex polyrhythm. PolyNome is not worth using unless you’re doing something complex, and have the time to program it.
Developer Response ,
Thanks for leaving a review. I appreciate the feedback.
I’d like to clarify a few things.
- Nobody should have had to pay for Pro a second time. It’s a once only purchase. Please email me at email@example.com if you feel like you’ve been charged twice.
- When you load PolyNome it has a basic quarter note click as the default. You can hit play and you have a regular metronome. You can also use the faders in the mixer to add in 8th notes or 16th notes like a Dr Beat. If you’ve lost that default you can tap the disk button in the top right to load it and then again to reset it.
- There’s an option in preferences that will load the default when you reopen the app (instead of loading whatever you were last working on). If you use that it’ll always be ready to play a regular click when you launch.
- The inbox allows me to notify you of updates, and send free presets, etc. I’m sorry you find it annoying.
I would genuinely love to speak to you on Skype to find out what kind of things you’d like to do, and how I can help you do them more easily, or tweak future versions of the app to make it more useable.
Please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org if you’d be happy to chat.
All the best,
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Polynome Ltd
- 43 MB
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 12.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 12.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 10.15 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 PolyNome LTD
- In-App Purchases
- Pro Upgrade $14.99
- Premium - 1 Year $23.99
- Premium Lifetime $99.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.