Barny Revill, Director: "It’s made things much easier and given me more confidence in my locations. Suddenly the scene can come alive right before you."
PreviewAR is the easiest way to view your own 3D assets in the real world!
Import your own static or animated 3D model file (OBJ, USD, DAE, FBX, 3DS, ZIP) from anywhere on your device and see your fully-textured asset in the world around you at accurate scale using Augmented Reality.
"The app is great. I’ve been really enjoying using it ... I’m currently using the app to preview assets so that I can work out framing issues and be confident of final compositions." - VFX Supervisor, ILM
"PreviewAR provides a wonderful shortcut to viewing a 3D asset and sharing that experience with others in the room, without need for a headset. Its application on a sound stage is quite amazing - it's allowed us to quickly see a potential set build without harming the budget." - Art Director, Painting Practice
SIMPLE & MINIMAL
The on-screen controls let you adjust all aspects of the scene without getting in the way. The controls are split into two halves; the Asset controls and the Scene controls. Each button shows the individual controls when necessary. The interface can also be totally hidden for a completely immersive AR experience - just tap on any empty area of the scene.
The camera emulation toolkit lets Set Designers, Art Directors and VFX Supervisors see their designs and characters through the camera setup of their choice. Focal lengths can be simulated up to 1000mm, and sensor crop ratios can be emulated for a range of popular cinema cameras. Automatic masking of any cast or crew in front of the asset adds an extra layer of realism when visualising the scene.
SECURE & PRIVATE
The best part is that all of this is available from your iPhone or iPad! There are no external servers or processing hosts involved - every asset you import into the app stays on-device and isn't uploaded or downloaded anywhere else. Perfect for NDA-restricted or sensitive assets that can't be uploaded to other cloud-based products.
• Import supported 3D files (.obj, .usd, .dae, .3ds or .fbx) from anywhere on your iOS device, including .zip files
• Control your model's units of measurement, toggle Y-Axis-Up and define specific dimensions, all in real-world scale
• Precisely control each asset's scale, rotation, and X/Y/Z position
• Manually texture your model with default colors, an image diffuse map, or use an MTL file for complex textures
• The Capture button lets you quickly snapshot the current scene to your Camera Roll
• NDA-friendly workflow with no offsite storage or processing - everything happens locally on-device
• People Occlusion on compatible devices masks your asset from anyone in the foreground
Get access to all features by getting a Pro subscription to support future development:
• Place multiple assets into the scene at once
• Use the Camera emulation toolkit for crop sensor overlays and simulated focal lengths to get your scene as accurate as possible
• Hold the Capture button to record and save a video session of the scene
• A Lock Scene button to stop any touch-based interaction from modifying your scene
• Toggle the Burn-in for live statistics like camera tilt & height, asset height & distance, and a running timecode.
• Toggle a harsh "Shadow Lighting" mode to see the affect of a single-light setup on the model. Hold the shadow button to control the direction
• Choose from multiple Camera Frame-rates to record at
• Use a third-party game controller to move your assets
• Custom focal lengths
• Custom camera sensor sizes
Questions or suggestions? Feel free to contact me:
I'm a student developer working on this app in my spare time - I've got many more features planned for PreviewAR, stay tuned!
Another update with a mix of additions, fixes and improvements!
- NEW: Reflective, adaptive texturing and lighting based on your environment! See your assets interact with your scene like never before
- PRO: Improved burn-in information displays: now include frame rate, aspect ratio and have a new look and feel!
- Tweaked the asset preprocessing that happens when you load the file (you can toggle this in the asset details)
- Fixed automatic masking of people sometimes not working
- Fixed some OBJ textures that wouldn't load when manually added
- Fixed a rare crash when opening certain model types
Ratings and Reviews
Awesome App! Fantastic Developer
Meets all my expectations and more. Toby is wonderful!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Toby Duffy
- 96.4 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Game Controller
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Toby Duffy
- In-App Purchases
- PreviewAR Pro Monthly $3.49
- PreviewAR Pro Yearly $14.99
Play this game with your favorite compatible controller.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.