Vince Clarke from Erasure tweets about ProChords: "Intend to make
liberal use of it, in all future compositions.”
ProChords is a unique iPhone application developed to write songs with
professional chord progressions, in an easy and intuitive way.
In the process of writing a song, ProChords offers an extensive
variety of options as to what chord could be played next, after the
sequence of chords you have already chosen during a writing process of
a new song.
These suggestions are based on pattern recognition, which literally scans
more than 12.000 successful songs to find similarities with the chord
progression you are working on.
This will undoubtedly inspire you to get fresh and interesting ideas – ideas you
wouldn’t otherwise have thought of.
It's made to inspire – not to do the songwriting for you. It merely
suggests a huge variety of options starting with the most common
ProChords has been downloaded by more that 70.000 musicians,
including many highly acclaimed professional songwriters, producers,
sessions musicians, music teachers and students – all of whom have been a
great source of inspiration for the continuous improvements.
Be Creative Everywhere
You don't have to sit by your instrument to work out new ideas for
tunes. You can literally work anywhere - with or without headphones.
And having it next to you when you are playing your instrument is an
endless source of inspiration, and will definitely help boost your creative
MIDI WiFi (ProChords to Mac or PC via rtpMIDI)
Virtual MIDI (ProChords to other Apps)
MIDI E-mail Export
It's highly recommended to watch the video tutorial, to get the full
benefit of ProChords.
Updated for iOS 11
Ratings and Reviews
On the right track needs a few more fixes
First off this is a great app. But it needs some more tweaking. It is a great app as it stands but these 10 things would make it my new song writing tool for ideas on the go.
1. Need a function to filter out chords types I don't want to have to sift through all those chords I'm glad they are there but needs a filter to limit choices to users specs.
2. Need a button to show the chords number in the scale. I.e.
I ii III IV V etc.
3 should be able to multi tap a chord to keep adding it to the string instead of sliding it left or right each time. Takes to long to write multiple similar chords.
4. Need to be able to move chords in the strings position somehow via holding and dragging or something.
5. A cut button would be a useful addition.
6. Need to create an IP or wifi transfer for the export midi function. I have been waiting almost 30 minutes and still no email.
7. A way to control the chord lengths note duration. Whole note half notes etc. I have already forgotten a few of the rhythms I laid out using the app. Now when I try to Tao it out I forgot the way I played it. This will also make the midi export more useable.
8. An auto play function once note duration has been implemented.
9. The ability to turn off the bass note in a chord.
10. A notes function to help remember lyrical ideas or concepts associated with the song.
Please fix these issues and you will have a very amazing app for song writing on the go.
Developer will not update app
Developer has forsaken this app. Cool app but Circle Of Fifths is much better. The UI is visually more pleasing. The chords are more accurate. The sound bank is small but accurate and smooth sounding. This could be a great app but there has been no progress made.
Great mobile music writing app!
I accidentally came across this app (really, is there any other way to find apps these days?), and I discovered it's a brilliantly concieved and executed mobile song writing tool.
It is very polished and complete. But don't get the mistaken impression this app is something other than what is described. It's not a complete music composition system like GarageBand or such. It's an iPhone tool to help you write chord-based songs. To create a full song you would then export from ProChords into something like GarageBand.
Also don't make the mistake of thinking that this is some sort of automatic song generator. You are writing the song. ProChords assists you to find chord progressions that work together based on standard harmonic rules. But with that help even a novice can start to put together really compelling music.
It is well worth the price, which really isn't very much when you think about it.
Check out the tutorial. But trust me, this app is brilliantly done.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.