Loved by creative pros and aspiring artists alike, Procreate is the leading creative application made for iPad.
Offering 100s of handmade brushes, a suite of innovative artistic tools, advanced layer system, and the lightning fast Valkyrie graphics engine — Procreate has everything you need to create expressive sketches, rich paintings, gorgeous illustrations and beautiful animations. Work on the couch, the train, the beach, or while waiting in line for coffee. It’s a complete art studio you can take anywhere; packed with these powerful features and more:
- Ultra High Definition canvases - up to 16k by 8k on compatible iPad Pros
- Beautifully intuitive interface made for iPad and Apple Pencil
- Revolutionary QuickShape feature for perfect shapes
- Smooth and responsive smudge sampling
- 3D Painting with Lighting Studio and Animated Export
- Powered by Valkyrie: the fastest 64-bit painting engine for iPad
- Connect a keyboard to use shortcuts
- Create art in stunning 64-bit color
- Continuous auto-save — never lose work again
• Breakthrough brushes:
- Packed with hundreds of beautifully crafted brushes
- Brush sets to organize your painting, sketching and drawing brushes
- Over 100 customizable settings for every brush
- Add Metallic and Roughness for painting in 3D
- Brush Studio – design your own custom Procreate brushes
- Import and export custom Procreate brushes
- Import Adobe® Photoshop® brushes, and run them faster than Photoshop®
• Full-featured layering system:
- Layer your art for precise control over details and composition
- Create Layer Masks and Clipping Masks for non-destructive editing
- Stay organized by combining layers into Groups
- Select multiple layers to move or Transform objects simultaneously
- Access over 25 layer blend modes for industry grade compositing
• Color without compromise:
- Fill your line work with ColorDrop and SwatchDrop
- Disc, Classic, Harmony, Value and Palette color panels
- Import color profiles for color matching
- Assign Color Dynamics to any brush
• The design tools you need:
- Add vector Text to your illustrations
- Easily import all your favorite fonts
- Crop and Resize your canvas for perfect composition
- Perspective, Isometric, 2D, and Symmetry visual guides
- Drawing Assist perfects your strokes in real time
- Streamline and stabilization smooth out strokes for beautiful calligraphy and expert inking
- Use Scribble to name layers, change settings and create text
• Accessibility features:
- Advanced stroke stabilization
- Dynamic Type, VoiceOver and Feedback Sounds
- Assignable single finger gestures
- Color naming
• Animation and Page Assist
- Easy frame by frame animation with customizable onion skinning
- Create storyboards, GIFs, animatics and simple animations
- Sketch page-by-page concepts or begin a comic with Page Assist
- Import, edit and share PDFs
• Dramatic finishing effects:
- Brush in image adjustments and effects with Apple Pencil while keeping the ability to fine-tune its effects
- Glitch, Chromatic Aberration, Bloom, Noise and Halftone add new dimensions to your work
- Gaussian, Motion, and Perspective Blur filters create depth and movement
- Powerful image adjustments including Color Balance, Curves, HSB and Gradient Map
- Let the mind-bending powers of Warp, Symmetry, and Liquify Dynamics bring your art to life
• Time-lapse replay
- Relive your creative journey with Procreate’s celebrated Time-lapse Replay
- Export your Time-lapse recording in 4K for high-end video production
- Share a shorter 30-second Time-lapse on your social networks
Share your creations:
- Import or export your art as Adobe® Photoshop® PSD files
- Import Adobe® ASE and ACO Color Palettes
- Import images files such as JPG, PNG and TIFF
- Export your art as layered native .procreate file, PSD, TIFF, transparent PNG, multi-page PDF, web ready JPEG, OBJ, USDZ, and animated GIFs, PNGs, and MP4s
In this update you can now add a background to Page Assist, which is great for lined or textured paper sketchbooks. You can also tap 3D materials for helpful actions like Fill and Clear. There's also some fixes for you.
- Thumbnails should no longer show corrupted when you fast scroll in a full Gallery.
- Your favorite Brushes won't override when using QuickMenu.
- Hidden layers won't show in Layer Select.
- You can now easily Apply your change in Gradient Maps.
- Drawing with your finger with Dynamic Brush Scaling off won't cause strange shapes at the beginning of your stroke.
- Undo/Redo is a little more discreet with the removal of the progress bar.
- No more crashes when merging Text layers.
Ratings and Reviews
Procreate lets you generate high-caliber artwork at a blistering pace using a robust layering system, stunning filters, and thousands of importable brushes. Plus, Savage Interactive’s super-intuitive app supports pressure sensitivity and Apple Pencil—as well as iCloud Drive and a seamless video recording of each brushstroke—so sharing your work is incredibly simple.
Great! BUT a few major flaws
So I’ve been using procreate for almost a full year now. Honestly one of the best drawing apps due to the design of it.
However I do have a few MAJOR gripes about the app. I’m a very particular about organization and I usually store my art in folders within folders, within other folders, and so on. Procreate obviously doesn’t have this feature since stacks are only allowed to be made. Another gripe I have is the lack of a “recently deleted” section in the app, once artworks are deleted they’re gone forever. I’ve only realized how troublesome this was because a friend of mine wanted to know what was the biggest canvas/file I have in my gallery. As I was looking through the gallery I had realized that I had accidentally deleted my “completion” stack (I don’t know when I had accidentally deleted it, but it was already too late for anything to be done, plus I hadn’t really notice it since my completion stack is at the bottom of my gallery). I am a bit bummed about it since I like saving art to see how much I’ve grown, but what can I do about it.
I hope that procreate implements these features or similar ones to these problems, because it’s honestly what’s holding the app back in my opinion. The UI of the app is simple and isn’t overwhelming at all compared to other programs. Along with that they provide versatile default brushes. It’s just a great app!!….. apart from the lack of folders and recently deleted section like I mentioned.
Developer Response ,
Hey there - thank you for the review of Procreate and the detailed feedback regarding the Gallery, Stacks and the possibility of a recently-deleted feature. We will take this feedback on board for the future, if/when we opt to make changes to Procreate's Gallery. 😎
Fill bucket + reference
I love this app and it has made digital art so easy for me, and I’m thrilled to see the addition of clipping masks and shape tools! One thing I think is an absolute necessity for the next update, however, is a reworking of how the fill bucket tool functions. Other (free) programs such as medibangpaint that I’ve used have capabilities like expanding fill bucket selection without having to use the select tool, and the fill bucket taking all marks into consideration, regardless of layers, when making its fill. The ‘reference’ setting has proved to be inconvenient at best. Also, having to drag the color swatch from the top right corner is cumbersome. Fill should be its own tool like drawing and erasing. Honestly, I just want to see the fill bucket function like it does in EVERY other art program I’ve used. Another thing to note, many programs have the very useful feature of allowing you to have reference images in a separate window on the screen, so you can see them no matter where you are on the canvas. Would love to see this integrated. And, a final request, please make blending tools stop picking up colors from outside your selected area when you blend. I use the selection tool,,,, so the brush doesn’t interact with things outside the selection,, why do blending brushes pick up things from outside the selection and drag them into your selection,, That said, thank you for making such a fantastic art program accessible at such a low cost!
Developer Response ,
Hi mondepurple - Thanks for your detailed feedback! We're always happy to hear about how we could improve things, and your ideas can be taken into consideration as we move forward with Procreate.
Thanks again for the review!
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Savage Interactive Pty Ltd
- 598.5 MB
- Graphics & Design
- Requires iPadOS 14.4 or later.
English, Arabic, French, German, Hindi, Italian, Japanese, Korean, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Thai, Traditional Chinese, Turkish
- Age Rating
- © Savage Interactive
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.