Prompt is the terminal that goes where you do, whether you're on the road or at your desk. With Panic Sync, your servers are available on your iPhone, iPad, and Mac. With Mosh and Eternal Terminal support, you can stay connected even on the most unstable networks. And with both local terminals and remote connections on the Mac, Prompt is the SSH app that does it all.
Welcome to Prompt 3. For over a decade, Prompt has been the best SSH terminal on iOS and iPadOS, and we're excited to finally release a much-requested Mac version. But that's not all. With two new connection types, port forwarding, and a faster terminal, Prompt is better than ever.
• Superfast SSH
We retooled the text engine in Prompt 3 to be up to 10x faster, and with improved terminal emulation, you can run nvim inside tmux without breaking a sweat.
Put your most-used commands and text bits into clips and access them with a single tap via Prompt’s keyboard bar. Clips can be stored globally or per-server.
• Secure Enclave
Authenticate with FaceID and TouchID. The keys will stay secure on your device.
• Panic Sync
Sync your favorite servers, passwords, private keys, and clips, between Prompt on all of your iOS devices.
Make Prompt perfect with new themes, fonts, and a very configurable iOS keyboard.
• Jump Hosts and Agent Forwarding
Access corporate servers, even at the beach.
• Mosh and Eternal Terminal
Keep your terminal open, even when you get disconnected. Mosh is optimized for high-latency, low-throughput networks. Eternal Terminal is great for when you need to keep your full terminal history on a flaky connection.
• Mouse Support
Use your mouse to interact with TUI-based apps that run through the terminal.
AND YES, A DARK ICON. What more can we say?
TAKE CONTROL FROM ANYWHERE, NOW INCLUDING YOUR MAC.
WE HOPE YOU ENJOY PROMPT 3.
And the Prompt EULA here:
This release contains a fix for an issue some users were having syncing clips and servers. If you experienced problems with Panic Sync, you may need to log out and log back in after installing this update.
It also contains better support for JumpHosts and ProxyCommands specified in ~/.ssh/config. This should allow Prompt to connect to over tailscale and similar setups. Advanced support for ProxyCommand requires the local terminal component to be installed.
• Custom themes now can now sync between devices
• The version number of the Local Terminal is now displayed in the "About Prompt" menu after installation
• Added support for arbitrary ProxyCommands (Local Terminal update required)
• The local `COLORTERM` environment is now set by default (Local Terminal update required)
• Server and Clip groups no longer display recursive contents in some circumstances
• Addressed a line height issue that could cause misalignment with powerline and nerd font symbols
• Improved emulation when using top and htop
• Jump Hosts: Resolved a problem that could cause connections to fail when a custom port was not specified
• Panic Sync: Fixed issues syncing data on some accounts
• Addressed an issue with mouse clicks not being recognized by some programs, like htop
• Addressed a potential crash when saving a new Clip
• Theme color of remote windows is now restored on relaunch
• Importing custom themes now works as expected
• Fixed the display of very long server names in the toolbar
• Focus on the terminal window is now retained when inserting clips from the sidebar
• Addressed an issue where new window shadows were not being drawn in some circumstances
• The sidebar toggle works more reliably immediately after completing the first-launch setup
• Various cosmetic improvements
Ratings and Reviews
MacOS version needs some love
Let me start by saying I love Panic apps. I got into coding way back in the early days of Coda and have since tried all the different apps. On iPadOS, Prompt truly shines as the best option so I was excited to see it appear on the Mac. I have hope that it will continue to develop into a robust Terminal replacement but it desparately needs modern features like copy on select, split panes, configurable one-click copy, ssh-agent integration, and a bug fix to stop the app from crashing when the Mac goes to sleep. Happy to augment my worflows with Prompt but iTerm2 is more feature rich as of now. That said, Mac still lacks a terminal app that is comparable to Windows Terminal (one of the few things I miss about developing on Windows).
Best terminal emulator I’ve used on iPad
Prompt 3 is a great terminal emulator, and it’s earned a spot on my iPad dock. I’ve been using terminal programs for decades, starting with X windows, and this is the best one I’ve used on iOS. Support for Eternal Terminal and mosh is great (and not common in other emulators), as is syncing profiles via iCloud. I don’t plan to use my iPhone as a terminal a lot, but being able to do small things with it without setting everything up again is nice.
It supports themes and lets you customize colors and fonts, definitely useful on iPad. Also handles SSH keys well. Logging of ssh sessions and terminal logs (both optional) let me debug connections if needed and remember what I did - essential for sysadmin. Being able to run on Mac (for no added cost!) is also nice, since it means one set of profiles across all my systems. Not sure how it compares to iTerm, but I’ll find out.
Excellent, been using Prompt for a number of years and this is a good update. I like the sync ability to keep my iPad and iPhone in sync. Also like the passwordless ssh ability. A bit expensive, but worth the cost
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Panic, Inc.
- 29.3 MB
- Developer Tools
- Requires iOS 16.1 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 16.1 or later.
- Requires macOS 13.0 or later.
English, French, German, Japanese, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- This app may use your location even when it isn’t open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2023 Panic Inc
- In-App Purchases
- Prompt 3 iOS + Mac (Annual) $19.99
- Prompt 3 One Time $99.99
Some in‑app purchases, including subscriptions, may be shareable with your family group when Family Sharing is enabled.