Protagoras gives you fast and convenient access to no fewer than six indispensable classics reference works: the magisterial lexica by Liddell-Scott-Jones and Lewis and Short, the respective intermediate and elementary versions of the above works, and two specialized works (Autenrieth's Homeric Dictionary and Slater's Lexicon to Pindar). All six are included with the app free of charge, and feature powerful searching capabilities and the ability to view cited texts on the Perseus Digital Library.
- Browse any of the dictionaries painlessly by section, or search for entries directly. Search for Greek entries using the built-in Greek keyboard, Latin transliteration, or standard Beta Code.
- Viewing an entry will automatically bring up cross-referenced entries. (Note that this is not perfect yet.)
- View the text of cited passages on the Perseus Digital Library.
- Search any dictionary for words whose definition includes a specific English term.
- Bookmark entries you find yourself returning to frequently, and use the history feature to jump back to recently-viewed entries.
- Added support for Dark Mode.
- Added support for Dynamic Type.
- Changed icons to use SF Symbols.
- Added support for multiple windows on iPad—open an entry or lexicon in a new window by dragging it from its respective table of contents, or from the "matching entries" or bookmarks/history views.
Ratings and Reviews
Easily the best app for Greek and Latin lexica.
Greek Prof. here. Don’t waste your money on other dictionary apps. I recommend this app to my students and use it for myself because of its simple UI, impressive speed, and powerful search capabilities. While usefully made available offline, entries are also linked to Perseus texts for convenient browser viewing. The bookmarking and new export vocab app are wonderful tools for Flashcard making...I cannot believe this feature set is free!
Also: You can search for English headwords, which makes composing Ancient Greek on the fly a total breeze. Seriously though, this is not just a niche feature, as it has saved my goose numerous times when I need to find synonyms or am exploring networks of meaning or ancient discourses on x topic.
Finally: My research specialty is Pindar. I cannot express how singularly awesome it is that Slater’s full Lexicon is on here, as that text is both extortionately expensive and unwieldy to lug around to whatever remote island where I happen to be toiling away...
In sum: the dev must be commended for a serving such a pleasant and comprehensive lexical experience, which will meet the needs of both the student and the professional.
Great Keyboard Shortcuts
I continue to use and love this iOS app. Fantastic reference works and keyboard shortcuts. I can use this app on my iPad with smart keyboard and navigate through entries without taking my hands off the keyboard. Hoping a future update will scale the app to fill the screen of the latest iPads. Currently there is extra black space around the 12.9”. The developer is great about responding to requests. Well worth the money.
Really excellent resource
Thanks for a great app when I need a quick lookup. An easy and clean interface make it immensely useful.
*a parsing feature would really make this app complete, but it is tremendously useful as it is.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.