“ProtonMail offers encrypted email, which makes it virtually impossible for anyone to read it except the sender and the recipient.” Wall Street Journal
ProtonMail is the world’s largest encrypted email service with over 1 million users. The ProtonMail secure email app for iPhone and iPad brings easy-to-use email encryption to your mobile device by seamlessly integrating PGP end-to-end encryption. ProtonMail also provides a modern user interface with a full set of innovative features such as customizable swipe gestures and the ability to send expiring emails.
Since we were founded by CERN scientists in 2013, we have been joined by citizens from around the globe who have supported our mission to protect online privacy. Our mobile app was made possible by a record-breaking $550,000 donation campaign. With the ProtonMail app, you can now create your own free ProtonMail email account and start experiencing the secure email of the future.
Why use ProtonMail?
• Ensure your emails stay private and cannot be intercepted or disclosed to third parties
• End-to-end encryption, OpenPGP compatible
• Easy-to-use: encryption is done automatically and is completely invisible to the user
• Zero-access: all messages are stored in encrypted format—not even ProtonMail can read your messages
• Open source: ProtonMail's encryption is open to inspection by security experts from around the world
• Free: ProtonMail is 100% free, no catches.
• Swiss privacy and neutrality: ProtonMail is hosted entirely in Switzerland, under the protection of the world's strongest privacy laws
With the ProtonMail app, you can:
• Create a new @protonmail.com email address with automatic PGP key creation and management
• Send and receive encrypted emails and attachments automatically
• Set timers for messages to self-destruct after sending
• Quickly organize emails with customizable swipe gestures and labels
• Get push notification of new emails
• Send password protected encrypted emails to non-ProtonMail email addresses
ProtonMail in the press:
“ProtonMail is a gmail-like email system which uses end-to-end encryption, making it impossible for outside parties to monitor.” Forbes
“A new email service being developed by a group from MIT and CERN promises to bring secure, encrypted email to the masses and keep sensitive information away from prying eyes.” Huffington Post
*The following improvements are included in v1.15*
- Preventing a user to be logged out after updating the app
- Communicating better to a user when he needs to update the app
- Having a more secure human verification during sign up
*The following issues are fixed in v1.15*
- Synchronisation bugs leading to diverse annoyances: inbox not showing new messages, moved or deleted message on web not being updated on iOS, infinite spinner
- Scrolling down to the end of the message can be impossible after expanding the header
- Spam messages can reappear in the Spam folder after deletion
- Expired messages remain visible in certain cases when the user is replying
*The following fix is included in the v1.15.3*
- App freezing/crashes when coming back from the background
Ratings and Reviews
Excellent Service Great For Privacy!
I am a ProtonPlus paid user, I started with a free account but I actually paid 2 years in advance I like it so much. I really am not cool with advertisers having the ability to read my emails which often contain much personal info. The ONLY reason I am giving 4 stars instead of 5 (which is not really protons fault) is because there are some companies that will either not accept your email address from proton or some online stores that will cancel your order when you give them as your email. It has only happened a couple times so far. I’m pretty sure the reason they don’t accept is because they are assuming your are some kind of criminal or scammer because you have a private email. When in actuality it’s because people are starting to realize what are huge problem we are facing with these tech companies knowing every detail of our life and mind. Anyways I’m hoping as more people start to use Proton, the stigma will be erased. Also if you notify proton of this they contact the company that is denying your email. Other than that it’s great! Some great features for filtering your emails into different folders too
Developer Response ,
Thank you very much for your feedback! Please note that the vast majority of online services, including all major websites, allow you to use your ProtonMail email address when registering your account. Some, however, don’t, which is why we provide you with guidelines on what to do in such situations: https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/website-blocks-protonmail-email-address/.
Nice mail app for privacy
I’d love a dark mode. Also, the search feature shouldn’t pop up like it does, but rather it “inbox” should be replaced with a search bubble and you should be able to search while not obstructing your emails. Additionally, it should refresh the email search after every letter and not finally when you click “search”. Furthermore, there should be a badge notification on the three line icon (hamburger icon) when you have an unread email in a folder that you’re not in (i.e. if I’m in inbox and there’s an unread mail in spam, there should be a red “1” to the top right of the hamburger button. Also, the swipe on any individual mail to mark it “unread” should mark it “read” if it is already marked “unread”. It shouldn’t just keep marking it “unread”, I shouldn’t have to open the email to read it. I should be able to customize folders from within the app. Besides these suggestions, the privacy is unrivaled. Update: I appreciate the developer’s response! I do hope to see some of these features in the next update (dark mode is of high priority on my list🙂). I actually figured out how to customize folders. You have to have opened an email and then you can add a new folder. I feel like this should be a side bar option (when you click on the hamburger button it should be in there somewhere). Thanks again for responding, looking forward to what you all do with it next!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for your feedback, support, and very detailed suggestions (which we will share with the team)! The upcoming major redesign of the app will have a different look and feel, and improved functionality.
EDIT: Thank you for clarifying the issue you've had with folder customization, your new suggestion will be shared with the team.
Can’t send important emails/inconsistent
I’ve been using Prtnmail for a while, and it has recently been brought to my attention that I haven’t been able to send emails to specific secure emails, namely to my Credit Union Financial Operations (finops) and to the Claims Adjuster of my insurance company. Additionally, I can’t use my ProtonMail email address as my primary email address for my bank account, as they don’t allow anonymous email addresses to be used by their customers.
Is/are there ways to get around my issues I’m experiencing? These are important emails, and I wasn’t aware that they didn’t go through until I had contacted the aforementioned companies to follow-up with my emails. Had I not contacted my Credit Union, I would not have known that my email message didn’t get received by the finops department of my Credit Union. On the other hand, I did receive an email alert immediately after attempting to send my message to the Claims Adjuster stating that my message failed to deliver.
Can somebody at ProtonMail lend me assistance or explain the reason(s) as to why my messages aren’t going through? How can I resolve this issue? This is a deal-breaker for me, and I’ll need to find a secure email server that I can use for more consistency/reliability. It makes me wonder whether or not other important email messages I had “sent” were actually sent to the recipient(s).
Developer Response ,
Thank you for reporting this issue to us. To help you we need more information. We suggest contacting us via email@example.com with the following information:
- the list of entities that have rejected, or have not received emails you have sent from your Proton address, with dates and times of those emails, if possible.
- the reason/error message provided, indicating that the mail was rejected, if you have received any
- non-delivery notice emails, in case you received any (please attach email headers)
- replies from the entities' support teams, in case you have contacted any, and heard back from them (screenshots of their replies would be best)
If you would allow us to mention your name in our communication with the entities in question, we would also need the name under which you communicate to the said entities, and the Proton e-mail address you use to communicate with them.
Thank you very much in advance.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Proton Technologies AG
- 171.4 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Catalan, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Icelandic, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Kabyle, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Swedish, Traditional Chinese, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Proton Technologies AG
- In-App Purchases
- ProtonMail Plus (1 year) $59.99
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.