Proton VPN: Fast & Secure 4+
Safe, encrypted and unlimited
- Offers In-App Purchases
Proton VPN is the world's ONLY free VPN service that is safe to use and respects your privacy. Proton VPN is created by the CERN scientists behind Proton Mail - the world's largest encrypted email service. Proton’s free VPN offers secure and encrypted internet access with advanced security features and access to blocked websites and streaming platforms.
Used by millions worldwide, Proton’s secure no-logs VPN offers 24/7 private internet access, and does not record your browsing history, display ads, sell your data to third parties, or limit downloads.
FREE VPN features available to ALL users:
1. VPN accelerator - increases Proton VPN's speeds by up to 400% to give users an express service
2. Unlimited data with no bandwidth or speed restrictions
3. Strictly NO logs
4. Full disk encrypted servers protect your data
5. Bypass geo-restrictions - smart protocol selection automatically overcomes VPN bans and unblocks censored content
6. Perfect forward secrecy - encrypted traffic cannot be captured and decrypted later
7. DNS leak protection - DNS queries are also encrypted to ensure that your browsing activity cannot be exposed through DNS leaks
8. Always-on VPN/kill switch offers protection against leaks caused by accidental disconnections
1. 1400+ high speed servers across 60+ countries
2. Fast VPN: High speed servers with connections up to 10 Gbps
3. Connect up to 10 devices to VPN at the same time
4. Stream films, sports events, and videos on any streaming service (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video, Disney+ etc)
5. File-sharing and P2P support
6. Adblocker (NetShield) - a DNS filtering feature that protects users from malware, blocks ads, and prevents website trackers from following you across the web
7. Secure Core servers protect against network-based attacks with multi-hop VPN
8. Tor over VPN provides automatic integration with the Tor anonymity network
Why Proton VPN?
- No personal data required to sign up
- Proton VPN's Secure Core architecture allows our secure VPN service to defend against network-based attacks
- Unique VPN Accelerator technology increases your VPN speeds by over 400%
- Uses only VPN protocols that are proven to be secure: OpenVPN, IKEv2, and WireGuard (no PPTP and L2TP/IPSec).
- Independently audited by SEC Consult with all results published on our website
- Physical data centres accessible only via biometric verification
- Trusted open-source code that can be reviewed for security by anyone
- Data protection using AES-256 and 4096 RSA encryption
- Multi-platform support
Join the privacy revolution.
Your support is important as it allows us to continue our mission to bring online freedom and the right to privacy to people around the globe. Get our private VPN free today and enjoy fast VPN connections and a secure internet, from anywhere.
Mozilla: “There are many VPN vendors out there, but not all of them are created equal. Proton VPN offers a secure, reliable, and easy-to-use VPN service and is operated by the makers of ProtonMail, a respected, privacy-oriented email service... As a company they have a track record of fighting for online privacy and they share our dedication to internet safety and security.”
PCMag: “[Proton VPN’s] focus on exacting security at an affordable price tag makes it a compelling choice. Plus, its free version is the best we've tested so far.”
Follow Proton VPN on social for all the latest news and offers:
Notice for users in China and UAE - Proton VPN may be blocked due to government restrictions outside our control.
- Fixes an issue where NetShield settings were incorrectly changed.
- Fixes multiple connectivity and stability issues, especially when device is waking from sleep.
Ratings and Reviews
Read and learn what a VPN is, so you can know what preferences you are missing!
I have had Proton mail and Proton VPN for years. I read several reviews that were bad. Almost all was because the person just did not know where to look to change a preference or just does not know anything about how a VPN works. I have set up several profiles as to where I want to connect. Always use Secure Core. I like that I can change to any location, just by clicking on a profile I created. If one profile server speed is slow, I click on another. Guys, read the instructions and learn how a VPN works, it’s capabilities and how to customize it like you want it. Whatever VPN you use, make sure the servers are not in the U. S. And a country that is big on people’s right to privacy. Sad but true, the U.S is at the top of collecting, mining & spying. And I don’t support using VPN’s for criminal activities. I was an LEO for 27 yrs and I do not believe in just grabbing everyone’s metadata off their cells at a Super Bowl just because they can. Get a warrant!!
In closing, I tried dozens of VPN’s and then ran many security test over the years . Proton passes them all. The only way Proton will fail it’s customer base, is folding from political pressure. But I think these guys & girls work at Proton for a reason. And that reason is because privacy matters.
My concern for privacy and security has grown immensely the past few years, as my awareness grew. After much research and trials, Proton Technologies Mail + VPN services have truly been the best thus far to my experience, of course. I began with the free email account and made my way to the free VPN. Ultimately, I grew to enjoy & appreciate both Mail + VPN; therefore, I decided to upgrade to the Mail + VPN Plus (combo) subscription. The rest is history...I have no complaints. My transition from other mainstream services for personal email to Proton Mail have been relatively painless. There FAQs and fidelity in step-by-step guidance via their web-page(s) makes “doing it yourself” plausible. The intricacies to computer technology and all it entails can be intimidating, but do not worry, help is standing-by. Thank you Proton Technologies personnel from the bottom-up (& vice versa) for making this possible. I certainly appreciate all your efforts. Take care & Peace!
Developer Response ,
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us a review. We're glad to hear that you've proactively taken steps to protect your privacy. If you have any other feedback, we'd be happy to hear. Thanks again for being a Proton supporter.
Do not recommend.
Under no circumstances would I purchase this product. Somehow has become less reliable after I upgraded from the free version. Of course there are multiple tiers to choose from, I apparently picked the “pay for absolutely nothing” option. I was hoping it was just me but I see many other comments with the exact same issues. Disconnects randomly, often won’t tell you, or will say it’s connected to a server but be unusable. You will spend more time staring at the ProtonVPN connect screen than you will spend using your search engine almost every time, and often through multiple server hops.
I pay for premium and still occasionally will be connected to a free server automatically, and nearly every day it will just turn off without notifying me. Best I can tell is this has something to do with the daily alarms/notifications and the DND mode that turns on when you use your phones sleep/alarm schedule. Screen time limitation options in the iPhone might also affect it, but I have it set as an exception everywhere that’s relevant. Completely turning off and not even attempting to notify or reconnect before allowing internet use seems like an absolutely critical failure for a VPN.
Hopefully it gets better and I will gladly change the rating. I want this product to work. For now, stick to the free or go elsewhere.
Developer Response ,
With regards to the connection issue, how often are you experiencing these disconnections? Are these disconnections occurring only when your device is locked/asleep, or they are occurring when actively using your device? Are you using any type of anti-virus/firewall/network monitoring applications? Have you tried disabling Smart Protocol and manually switching between IKEv2, OpenVPN (UDP), and OpenVPN (TCP) protocol within application settings and then check if the issue persists? (https://protonvpn.com/support/how-to-change-vpn-protocols/) If that doesn't help, please reach out to us via https://protonvpn.com/support-form and include the above information. We'd be happy to look into this and help you troubleshoot. If the issue's resolved, we hope you'll reconsider your review and rating.
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Contact Info
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Proton AG
- 144.2 MB
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 14.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 14.0 or later.
English, Belarusian, Croatian, Czech, Dutch, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Japanese, Persian, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Russian, Spanish, Turkish, Ukrainian
- Age Rating
- © Proton AG
- In-App Purchases
- VPN Plus $99.99
- Proton Unlimited $149.99