Prowl is an easy push notifications client iOS. Push to your device notifications from your Mac or Windows computer, or from a multitude of apps and services. Easily integrate the Prowl API into your applications.
A list of supported apps/services: http://prowlapp.com/apps.php
The only limit of what the service can do is your imagination.
To receive notifications from your computer, you need the latest:
• Growl on your Mac @ growl.info, or
• Growl for Windows @ growlforwindows.com, or
• Snarl on Windows @ fullphat.net, or
• Any program or web service using the public API.
"I was extremely impressed with Prowl and the elegance with which I was able to view Growl notifications on my iPhone.”
—Aron Trimble, TUAW
"[A] powerful tool to connect your Mac with your iPhone, seamlessly over the air.
—Federico Viticci, MacStories
"Great idea. This opens up iPhone push notifications for anything you can think of.”
—John Gruber, Daring Fireball
"Probably the best $3 I’ve ever spent in the App Store.”
—Darrell Etherington, The Apple Blog
• Push Notifications—When a Growl notification pops up on your computer, it's sent to Prowl and displayed on your iOS device within seconds.
• Sweet application support—Prowl has support from a bunch of cool applications and services. Check out the full list at http://prowlapp.com/apps.php
• Redirections—Launch a different application when you open a push notification. For example, a notification from your desktop Twitter client can relaunch into your favorite mobile client. You can even pick custom URLs to launch, so you can go anywhere!
• Email to push—Use your Prowl email address (from the Prowl homepage's "API keys" tab) to get email delivery right on your device. Generate as many email addresses as you need!
• An amazing API—Use the Prowl API with a multitude of libraries in various programming languages. You can send notifications from anything that can talk to the internet, and do some fun things along with it.
• Quiet Hours—During the hours you specify, only the badge numbers are updated. No matter the source. Instead of getting a noisy alert, messages are quietly delivered. You can allow emergency-priority items to break quiet hours.
• Do Not Disturb—Keep the application quiet whenever you're busy, or when you need a break from a constant alert. Controllable from within the application.
• Control—Open the edit view to get a quick glance at your notifications, and do away with pesky ones. Quickly copy, email or SMS a notification directly from Prowl (depending on device and iOS version).
• Browse quickly—Use Prowl's internal browser to quickly open links from a notification without having to open Safari.
• History—Up to 10 days of notifications are kept on the server. You can delete notifications that you don't want to see any more, or remove all of your history.
• Customized notifications—Only events you want are sent to Prowl. You can specify all kinds of conditions from the Prowl plugin for Growl.
• Send any message to your device—From the Prowl website, you can send any text to your device: links and phone numbers are automatically linked, so you can easily navigate around without having to worry about typos. From the website or API, you can also automatically redirect to the attached URL.
Prowl is built into Growl 2.0. For earlier versions: http://prowlapp.com/installation.php — for Mac.
http://growlforwindows.com — for Windows.
@prowlapp on Twitter
This app has been updated by Apple to use the latest Apple signing certificate.
- Improves support for split view and slide over mode on iPad where available.
- Fixes redirects on iOS 9 not working correctly.
Ratings and Reviews
I use this app to redirect specific email selected by AppleMail rules to an email address provided by Prowl. This pushes the email to the Prowl app on my iPhone and notifies me by sound/vibration on my iPhone and AppleWatch. It was drop-dead simple to set up, and Prowl provides as many email addresses as you need.
I’m using this to replace similar functionality of Boxcar, which has disappeared from the App Store. Do note that Prowl is much more capable than what I’m using it for.
An honest review.
Not very often do you find an app that does what it says "easily". I think it's better for a developer to assume the person using it has no or some knowledge of computers but, not assume that the person knows everything. In theory this is a great app but, on the surface it's convaluted mess.
1. There should be a simple server you can download on your Mac/PC to get notifications sent to your iPhone and, not have to pay for a seperate app.
2. The whole API system is not simple. I know of APIs but, don't have the clearest grasp of what it actually is. So, forcing someone to enter API keys is not the best way to go about things.
3. If you want to use it with your browser that's another download.
Great custom notifications
I use prowl to notify me about local air quality in realtime. It’s great!
Apple ought to allow custom sounds for third party app notification. Would be perfect to have arbitrary number of types and user custom sound based on message contents. This change would allow very versatile notifications like voice announcing data inside message etc.
Can select 5 different sounds from a preset list of 6. Defaults are solid, but would greatly benefit from even purchased ringtones being available.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Prowl Solutions LLC
- 3 MB
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 8.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 8.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © 2016 Zachary West
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.