Pterional Craniotomy is the very first real-time-3D neurosurgical simulation for mobile devices. It gives the possibility to experience the most used neurosurgical approach: the pterional craniotomy. The UpSurgeOn Team, made by neurosurgeons and digital artists, uses the most updated 3D technology to reproduce an impactful experience of surgical training.
WHAT IS IT
Pterional Craniotomy is a 4-steps simulation of a real Pterional Craniotomy on a virtual patient. Learning this approach is universally considered an essential step for every neurosurgery trainee.
NEUROSURGERY: FROM THE OPERATING ROOM TO YOUR MOBILE DEVICE
Pterional Craniotomy is the first neurosurgical simulator for mobile devices. Each single model and step reproduces a real neurosurgical experience and a real step-by-step decision making for a pterional craniotomy on a patient with an intracranial disease with impressive accuracy.
This free App is an extract of our Neurosurgical Simulator Vol I, II, III, that will be released very soon.
HOW WE BUILT IT
The UpSurgeOn Team is made by neurosurgeons that are engaged with clinical practice every day. The contents of the simulation were produced through a novel process of “scientific 3D modelling”, created by UpSurgeOn. It consists of a systematic 3D reproduction of real surgical scenes and real neuroanatomy derived from the direct experience and validated through a constant literature review and a daily intraoperative comparison.
- Fully 3D overview of pterional craniotomy on the 3D skull model of the patient
- Fully 3D interactivity (rotation, zoom and pan).
- Selection of right/left procedure
- Selection of the most correct patient position on the operating table (supine, elevated shoulder)
- Patient head (rotation, flexion-extension, lateral tilt)
- Fixing the patient head with the Mayfield Head Holder
- Following the fully 3D simulation of a pterional approach, from skin incision to brain exposure
- Following the fully 3D simulation of the closure steps
- Consulting wide texts on craniotomy, indications, anatomical landmarks, red flags, technical notes from scientific literature
- HD button for high resolution textures and anti-aliasing (for wide screen projection)
- Link to the free theory module “pterional craniotomy” on the theory section of UpSurgeOn.
Starting from April 2018 UpSurgeOn is supported by WFNS (World Federation of Neurosurgical Societies).
Now 3D Skull Atlas hosts an official section dedicated to WFNS-YNF (Young Neurosurgeons Forum) activities.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.