Feature-complete password management. Syncs with iPhone and iPad app using iCloud. Autofills in Safari. One-time purchase.
** Featured by Mac|Life as one the 20 Great Apps under $20 - http://j.mp/pwSafeMacLife
Simple & secure password management across devices and computers. pwSafe uses iCloud to keep your password databases backed-up and synced between Macs and iOS devices. It is compatible with open source Password Safe.
This application is not related to any application developed and/or marketed by PSafe Tecnologia S/A, including PSafe Total.
List of features:
- Dark Mode support
- Touch ID support
- iCloud sync, realtime and bi-directional
- Generates strong passwords
- Print a hardcopy of your data for ultimate security agains data loss
- Copy password with Command + C or P
- Copy username with Command + U
- Copy password and open website with Command + Option + S
- Double-click to easily copy password
- Lots of other hotkeys (see menus)
- Password history (per safe and per entry settings)
- Fully compatible with pwSafe for iOS and the famous Password Safe version 3.3.2
- Search in all fields (Command + F for faster access)
- Organize entries in groups
- Multiple fields (title, username, password, URL, email and notes)
- Full unicode support
- Multiple safes
- Unlimited passwords
- Unlimited password groups
- Syncs with iOS devices and many types of computers with Dropbox (requires Dropbox app)
- Syncs with many types of computers via other cloud storage services
- 256-bit encryption
- Fully secure app behavior:
- Clears password from pasteboard after a timeout period, when the computer sleeps or when the app exits (fully configurable).
- Locks safe when the app exits.
- Password is marked with all kinds of "non-persist" flags, so that pasteboard managers don't save or remember it.
Instead of trusting on a single developer's security knowledge, pwSafe borrows all its encryption code directly from the famous Password Safe open source password manager (http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/).
Password Safe has been originally created by security guru Bruce Schneier and nowadays is maintained by Rony Shapiro. Since it has been around as an open source project for more than a decade, it has been extensively reviewed by many experts.
- Supports new Dark Mode on macOS Mojave
- Fix crash on macOS 10.9
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
LOVE this app
This app and the companion iOS version work flawlessly with the Windows Password Safe program originally developed by cryptographer Bruce Schneier. Thanks to the developers for creating both apps and for continuing to maintain and develop them. Please don’t go away. All the other password managers are moving to forced online/cloud vaults and there is still a need and a desire to have solid, well-made password managers that keep the vault local or that allow the user to decide where the database is held (i.e. Dropbox or iCloud). This app also lets me manage more than one vault so my wife and I can each have our own separate vault plus another that we share with our kids. Thanks!!
Most Complete for Mac
I have been using PasswordSafe on Windows since 2003, shortly after it came out. When I moved to a Mac at work, I looked around for a compatible app and used the free Java version for several years. It mostly worked, but had some quirks. I recently got a new MacBook Pro and decided to see if anything better was available. I looked at StrongBox PasswordSafe and pwSafe. I like the user interface better in StrongBox, but it did not support password histories (neither did the Java version). I chose pwSafe because of its support for histories.
The two things that would make pwSafe better, 1) a trial or free version so you can see how it works before having to pay for it and 2) some enhancements to the UI, such as color rather than black and white, using folders rather that two people to indicate a password “group”. I would also like it to have an option to revert back to my root folder list each time I open it rather than going back to the last entry I used. It should also remember the size of the window as I always have to resize it bigger to find what I am looking for.
Great but some annoyances
I have been using the Windows version of "Password Safe" for years, including running it as a WINE app on my Macbook. Recently forced to get rid of that due to Catalina's removal of 32-bit support, I decided to break down and buy this app.
It works well, but there are some annoyances to me of a couple of things that are different from what I'm used to:
- you cannot display only notes but keep the Password hidden. I frequently pair with other programmers and share my screen, and had no problem pulling up the notes of some entry and letting them see that, but do not necessarily want them to see the password
- it seems that every time I reopen a safe, I have to re-enable TouchID, it would be great if that could be saved as a preference. I do not have to re-enable TouchID on my ipad or iphone for pwSafe.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.