Maximise the value of In-Cockpit Flight Training using your iPad or iPhone, to learn and practice Instrument Navigation, Anytime or Anywhere, using Radio Navigation Simulator USA, (RNS-USA).
RNS-USA, contains all the features of RNS-IFR PRO, but with the addition of a full USA Navaids FAA database.
RNS-USA is a precision 2D Flight Simulator and Training Aid - Learn to manage, interpret, and become familiar with the VOR, ADF (RMI or RBI) and Dual Needle RMI, DGYRO, HSI and DME instruments.
Students can start by simply finger moving the aircraft on the chart, observing the instrument response - progressing to full flight exercises, while tuning and managing the NAV radios, just as in real flight.
Fly pre-planned routes, or create your own, while navigating in a latitude and longitude training area.
Repeat as often as needed, always improving your instrument skills, anytime in a place of your choice.
Instructors can demonstrate to Students, basic VOR, ADF (RBI-RMI) with DME radio navigation, and advanced aspects using the HSI and Dual Needle RMI.
Students and Experienced pilots will in addition find RNS-USA valuable to prepare for an instrument rating or proficiency test, and fly in their own real world environment, using the USA FAA Database with FAA charts and documents, anywhere in the USA.
• Flight Panels are optimised for iPad & iPhone, with support for retina displays.
• The simulator operates in an Exercise Area of approx 150 x 200 nm, populated with VOR, VOR-DME and NDB Navaids & Airfields.
• Scalable chart showing Facilities, Idents, and Aircraft position.
• Full chart management showing VOR Radials and Planned Routes.
• Aircraft track trail can be displayed, or suppressed.
• Flight Panel and area chart simultaneously displayed.
• A choice of five realistic Flight Panels with the following instruments:
• Directional Gyro, Horizontal Situation Indicator, VOR, DME, ADF (RMI-RBI), Dual Needle RMI
• Full Radio management of ADF, NAV1, NAV2 and DME.
• Real world magnetic variation model with current variation visible on the chart.
• Airspeed range 60 to 600 knots.
• Altitude management and display.
• Flights in Real or Compressed time.
• Wind velocity, 0 to 99 kts, from any direction, steady or variable.
• Dead reckoning navigation capability, with flight area mapped in Latitude and Longitude.
• Flight panels, instruments and chart managed with intuitive multi gesture interface.
• Touch button flying controls.
• Popup Toolbars & Annunciators to manage flight panel facilities.
• Popup Toolbars and Icons to manage chart facilities.
• Detailed User Manual, embedded in the app.
• Exercise Area chart and exercises are separately downloadable as PDF, for printing or reference.
The USA Database:
• This contains all the Navaids, Airports & Fixes in the 48 contiguous US States plus Alaska and Hawaii, derived from recent FAA/NFDC data.
• The data is selectable by ARTCC Region, to allow flight training within your area of interest.
• The first of a series of Information Videos is available on our website at www.digitalaviation.com.
Some Customer Reviews:
• RNS Apps have been an excellent means of visually depicting cause and effects of instrument inputs as it relates to VFR and IFR navigation. In my opinion, a must for students, pilots and instructors. CFI
• I wish I'd had this tool when I first took my IMC rating - it would have saved me a lot of in flight training hours. This is a superb, intuitive, easy to use app. It will train your interpretation of the VOR and NDB so all you have to worry about in the air is flying the aeroplane
• A must have for all pilots - This is an amazing app. Busy with my night rating and then IFR and this helps you understand radio navigation in minutes. If you are a flight instructor get it
• This is a serious, professional, training aid. It covers real-time navigation with all the basic nav instruments
● iOS14 compatibility update.
● Revised DME range indicator for precise range display up to 99.9nm.
If you enjoy Radio Navigation Simulator please leave a Rating or Review on the App Store, as it helps us provide updates to the app. Thank you.
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Okay, once you get to the point that you remember the - frankly - clumsy and frustrating controls, this app is a HUGE help for teaching and practicing holds, arcs, and general tracking of VORs. I use it all the time to keep myself proficient. I turn off the airplane and breadcrumbs and pick random radials to hold on - then turn the trail back on and see how accurate I was. It would be a five star app if the controls weren’t so difficult to use.
Instructions pretty useless
This looks like it hasn’t been supported or updated in years, wish I could get my money back! The support FAQ’s shows a blank page.
Developer Response ,
Hi, we are working on a new flight sim app, but haven't forgotten this app. An update is being prepared this month, which provides for more dynamic support, help and manual pages, in addition to updated data and some other minor changes. Thanks for supporting the app.
Save your money, the instructions are a disaster in this app is the furthest from being user-friendly. I wish I would've read further down the reviews. Save your money pick something else.
Developer Response ,
Sorry to hear you were disappointed. The app is very detailed and accurate simulation and representation of real world flight navigation instruments and as such requires some knowledge to use correctly. It also requires having sufficient controls on the user interface to allow effective interaction. Whilst no user interface is ever perfect, we have tried to provide the best possible within the screen space available.
It is surprising you found the instructions lacking as we have provided a very detailed and comprehensive instruction manual accessed from any help button in the app. We are happy to provide this separately as a pdf if you wish to contact us via our support email at email@example.com
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.