RadioPublic - The Podcast App
You’re ready to find something good to listen to. Whether you Google “podcasts” as a first-time podcast listener or you’re a long-time podcast addict, RadioPublic’s free, easy to use podcast player for iOS makes listening to podcasts simple, enjoyable, & fun. (Also: free. We like that podcasts are free & we don’t provide our app for free at the expense of your privacy or personal data; we don’t require an account or social login to browse or listen. And unlike other free apps, we have no banner ads AND offer features that only paid apps have.)
What people using RadioPublic have to say
“I have yet to search for content that I can't access & the streaming experience is seamless.”
“The queue & downloads are easy to manage & preferences like per-show playback speed are easy to set.”
“Excellent variety & comfortable layout of podcasts you're following.”
Our podcast catalog
When you download the app through a podcast’s RadioPublic link, we magically return you to the show to listen^ subscribe If you’re not sure what else to add to your queue after that, you can search through our catalog of 500,000 podcasts (!!) for popular podcasts, podcast audio books, music podcasts (Spotify & Pandora aren’t the only places for listening to music!), & podcasts from networks like Gimlet, Radiotopia, BBC, Earwolf, Maximum Fun, HowStuffWorks, Stitcher, & the CBC or from news publications like The New York Times, Washington Post, CNN, & USA Today.
The human touch
Our Podcast Librarians regularly highlight award-winning podcasts, picking shows at the top of podcast charts like Apple Podcasts from NPR, WNYC, & PRX like This American Life, Criminal, & Serial while digging deep to surface small indie podcasts.
Overwhelmed by all the choices?
Tune in to one of our podcast stations organized by topic, theme, or time of day (podcasts are perfect for folding laundry!). Browse our podcast playlists curated by podcast experts & listeners like you, or explore some of our popular categories like Trending on RadioPublic, Indies to Watch, News & Current Events, Portraits of People, Interviews with Musicians, & Shows that Talk about Pop Culture. All our podcast recommendations are hand-curated by real humans & as one happy listener said, “I love all of the recommendations from their librarians. Total game changer.” (We couldn’t agree more.)
Key benefits & features for new listeners
RadioPublic is a Public Benefit Corporation, which means that everything we do benefits everyone, podcast listeners & podcasters alike.
• Download episodes while on WiFi & listen without using mobile data
• Tap play & stream podcast episodes without waiting for a download
• Create a continuous playlist by adding episodes to your queue
• Share podcasts & episodes with friends
• Follow your favorite shows & get notified when new episodes are published
• Add a HearMark™ to any podcast episode to bookmark a moment you want to return to
• Hop to a specific moment in a show selected by a podcaster with chapter support
• Frequent app updates from nice people who love podcasts & podcasters. (Our release notes are a thing of beauty. We like Canadian references a lot.)
Features power users will love
• Smart Folders help organize & filter your shows/episodes
• Auto-downloads for offline listening
• Add any podcast, including private Patreon RSS feeds
• Import/export your shows using OPML import
How podcasters benefit from listening on RadioPublic
• Podcasters can be paid when their show is heard in RadioPublic
• Your brand-new listeners arrive at your show first
• Stats appear in your hosting dashboard
• Message your most loyal listeners with Affinity Promotions
As one happy podcaster said, "RadioPublic’s development of Paid Listens is created with producers in mind. You all are going to revolutionize the industry.”
That revolution is to help us create the podcast republic we want. Happy listening!
iOS 13 compatibility updates
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Major battery drain after update.
I’ve been using this app for a few months and am loving it so far. Way better than the standard iOS app.
However, after a recent update, I’m having major issues with battery drain during background use. I basically use the app all day every day and my phone rarely gets below 60-70% charge on any given day, but the past few days, I have seen my percentage plummet over the course of a few hours. After checking my battery statistics, the only app with any significant drain attributed to it is RadioPublic. Today, for instance, I have had the app running in the background for two hours, while nothing else was running, and I’m down 50%. I’ve also noticed that my phone gets extremely hot when the app is running.
This has never been an issue before, and I only noticed it after the recent update which changed a bunch of UI stuff. I’m worried the update introduced a leak or something.
I love the app, but I cannot use it if it’s going to continue destroying my battery life like this.
I tried to find a way to contact the dev, but couldn’t find one on their site or social media, so I’m putting this here, hoping they will see it.
I hope it gets fixed because I really do enjoy the features of this app, and would be very sad if I have to switch back to the crappy basic Podcasts app because of it.
Developer Response ,
Hi, we published an update (2.0.4) that improved battery performance for those users who were experiencing battery issues. If you are still seeing issues please get in touch email@example.com /Matt
Clearly the best podcast app, by far
I cannot believe I suffered through the apple podcast app for so long. Even stitcher has a horribly clunky and hideous UI. RadioPublic works, is beautiful and easy to use, and doesn’t have the annoying qualities of other podcast apps. It used to drive me crazy that stitcher and apple both prioritized IMMEDIATELY PLAYING AT MAX VOLUME when you were just trying to set up a queue of episodes to listen to later. Or trying to read an episode description, not IMMEDIATELY PLAY.
RadioPublic just works. The only cons: 1, not every podcast is in their library, so two smaller I listened to previously I just gave up on, bc I have not been successful with the RSS import feature; and 2, I wish I could manually chose my “favorites” on the home page instead of the auto generated “Shows you listen to often” list, which isn’t always accurate.
But all in all, of several podcast apps I tried, this one is in a league of its own for its easy interface and intuitive playback and download defaults. It works how you wish the others would work.
My favorite podcast app, but...
I started using RadioPublic a few months ago after I finally hit my limit with the default podcast app.
Some favorite features:
- Folders! I listen to a lot of podcasts so it’s really nice to be able to sort them so I’m not scrolling all the time
- Hearmarks— I use them all the time and they’re way better than writing timestamps in the notes app
However it tends to crash when I’m scrolling through the home page or the folders. Sometimes it won’t if I scroll slowly, but it’s not reliable. The benefits definitely outweigh the negatives, but it’s annoying.
Also, sometimes I need to press play twice in order to make the podcast play when unpausing outside of the app itself. It will play for a second and then automatically pause. Again, not so bad that I’d stop using the app, but definitely irking.
Some other things I’d like to see:
- Putting individual episodes in a folder
- Listening on a computer/through the website
It hasn’t been updated in a while, but I hold out hope. Definitely recommended (especially over apple podcasts), but be aware that there are some quality of life issues.
- RADIOPUBLIC PBC
- 72.9 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
- Age Rating
- Infrequent/Mild Profanity or Crude Humor
- Infrequent/Mild Horror/Fear Themes
- Infrequent/Mild Realistic Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Sexual Content and Nudity
- Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence
- Infrequent/Mild Alcohol, Tobacco, or Drug Use or References
- Infrequent/Mild Medical/Treatment Information
- Infrequent/Mild Mature/Suggestive Themes
- © 2016 RadioPublic A Public Benefit Corporation
Get all of your passes, tickets, cards, and more in one place.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.