RailModeller Express is a free application for creating small model railroad layouts.
Its key features include:
• A clean and intuitive user interface,
• Sophisticated tools to quickly build awesome model train layouts with up to 50 elements,
• Multi-brand libraries with more than 250 track systems,
• Support for all common and many custom model scales,
• Assistants for placing tracks at different heights and creating grades,
• Definition of baseboards indicating the available area for a model railway layout,
• Customizable modes for viewing the layout in two and three dimensions,
• Automatically generated shopping lists,
• A price database automatically syncing item prices across layouts,
• Community Layouts with hundreds of track plans created by a community of fellow model railroaders,
• A file format 100% compatible with our "RailModeller Pro" app
This latest maintenance update 6.2.6 improves the feedback for certain operations, contains some bug fixes and new as well as extended libraries for tracks and accessories.
RailModeller Express 6.2 delivers a range of improvements requested by our users, including
• the option to terminate any open track connection with a bumper/buffer stop,
• an optional mouse cursor coordinate display,
• new track base textures for the 3D view and the option to use no texture at all,
• improvements to flex tracks such as smoother curves for parametric curved flex tracks,
In addition this update includes a number of cosmetic improvements to the Community Layouts browser for track plans uploaded by fellow model railroad hobbyists,
as well as numerous updates and new additions to the libraries bundled with the app.
If you have any questions about or issues with our app please get in touch with us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Exactly what I wanted!
I’m just getting into Z-scale modeling, and was in the midst of planning my first permanent layout. To help me with that task, I was actually just looking for a good 2D scale-drawing/CAD program, from which I had planned to make my own track-section templates. I was surprised to find this amazing tool, pre-loaded with ALL the Marklin and Rokuhan track sections available. For my needs, it is just about as perfect as I could imagine. Very easy to use, if you are even remotely familiar with other types of diagramming software. It’s even fun to use. I currently have the free version, but will happily pay for the upgrade to the $40 version, just to support the developer.
Great for Slot Car Layouts!
This is a great app for designing slot car layouts! I’ve used it for both 1/64th (AFX/Tyco “HO”) and 1/32 Scalextric track. Just fantastic! I had been doing layouts in Adobe Illustrator, creating my own library of track components. But this app is SO much better. Providing parts lists, track lengths, overall layout dimensions, etc. Easy and intuitive interface.
Only 3 minor suggestions for improving the Slot Car side of things:
1) Make sure to add in all the Scalextric track options (starter sets include 2 long straights - power and mechanical lap counters - not included in the library).
2) Calculate lane lengths separately (Left and Right lanes)
3) Allow and calculate for 4 & 6 lane layouts.
Thanks for a truly great app. I’m planning on upgrading to the Pro version soon!
Fine functions for freeware
I’ve spent a couple of days getting to know this software as I plot a new layout, my first in many years. It’s remarkably glitch-free and highly functional — all possible stars for that. The tutorials and documentation are very limited, as far as I can tell, so getting acquainted with the program’s basic functions is trial-and-error. That’s the only problem I’ve encountered, and it IS possible to figure things out as you go. Compared to other CAD I’ve used (non-model railroad), it’s not a steep learning curve. And it’s a very good teaser for the Pro version.
- Jan P. Barnholt
- 19.7 MB
- Graphics & Design
OS X 10.11 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- © Copyright (c) 2020 Isle of the Kakapo
- In-App Purchases
- RailModeller Express Tip Jar: "Supporter" Tip $4.99
- RailModeller Express Tip Jar: "Economy" Tip $1.99
- RailModeller Express Tip Jar: "Aficionado" Tip $6.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.