Used by Kendall Jenner, Snoop Dogg, Khloe Kardashian, Victoria Beckham, Wiz Khalifa, BTS, Die Antwoord, Philip Bloom and featured on SNL (S41E01) and in countless TV shows and music videos!
Covered by WIRED, TechCrunch, Mashable, Forbes, Wall Street Journal, Popular Mechanics, The Independent, Macworld, TMZ and many, many others!
App of the Day for Friday, Dec 22, 2017
It's 1984, and you've got a VHS camcorder! It'll look that way when you record and send old, messed up-looking retro videos to friends. They'll swear you built a time machine: "OMG, how'd you shoot that?"
With Rarevision VHS, you'll make videos that look and sound like real retro video tapes pulled out of storage after 30 years. You can change the on-screen date to trick your friends, create custom animated titles, glitch up the picture by shaking your device and use the fake zoom to emphasize those truly embarrassing moments!
"That's freakin' amazing!" -Everyone
Here's Why You Need It:
• Four words: Best. Throwback. Videos. Ever.
• Create VHS-style retro videos of your kids that look like the ones from your childhood
• The only VHS cam app you should ever consider to capture your 80s and 90s-themed parties
• Shoot your own "found footage" movie and become a big Hollywood director like those other guys
• Make your kids' incredibly boring school plays actually rad
• Impress the new girl by using our app to convince her you built a time machine
• Pretend like you lived through the rad 1980s using our app!
What Rarevision VHS Can Do:
• Realism: the ORIGINAL and BEST VHS cam app for simulating the glitches of old videotape recordings
• Import videos from Camera Roll and give them the VHS look
• Make your own signature look using the old-school picture adjustment menu
• Create your own animated titles for the ultimate in on-screen awesomeness
• Change the on-screen date so people think you're way younger--or older--than you really are
• Glitch the picture during recording using your finger or by shaking your device
• Fake zoom feature dramatically enhances the cheese factor
• Don't think we forgot to make things sound retro terrible (we didn't)
• Up to 60p recording for a more accurate VHS video look (depends on device capability)
• Widescreen recording option (but would you REALLY want to use it?)
• Share videos to Instagram, Facebook and YouTube using Camera Roll
• HD video recording on iPhone 4s and newer devices (1080p requires iPhone 5 or better)
Rarevision is a US-based company, with all software development done in-house.
Copyright © 2015-2021 Rarevision LLC. All rights reserved.
• Fixed a problem where the titler wouldn't keep its size when importing
• Added ability to turn the additional tracking noise effect on/off
• Bug fixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
A squashed bug on older iPad models running iOS 9.3.6
In previous versions I had noticed that the Color Bars filter crashes on my iPad Mini running iOS 9.3.6, though it worked fine on my iPhone 6S (a phone I no longer own) running the latest version of iOS, which was 13.5.1 at the time I originally wrote this review. As of app version 1.6, this bug has been squashed, and I can now fully enjoy VHS Camcorder on both my first-generation iPad Mini, and my iPhone 7; the latter is running iOS 14.
VHS Camcorder is just one of those apps that I keep coming back to, and I don’t always have the time or physical space to dig out my VCR to process videos on videocassettes that I’ve used time after time. I’ve tried similar apps by other developers, but nothing compares to this. Rarevision truly has perfected the VHS, the Hi8, and even the PXL2000 effects. Having used the app since 2015, I feel as if VHS Camcorder just keeps getting better with every update.
Developer Response ,
That's great news! Glad the app is working now on your iPad. Because after all, big screen = always better!
Awesome App!..Just a Few, Minor Things.
This app is amazing, I use it a lot! I love it a lot. There are some little fixes I suggest. Well, for starters, it would be awesome it have the little multicolored interference like some other users have said to make it look more 80s. I also think the font/date should be a but more 80s as well. You can kinda tell it’s fake. Other than that, this app is awesome.
I also need help with something else. Some might find this easy to fix, but I’m not good with app updates or anything, heh.😂 But I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me why my phone isn’t updating for the app. I will go to menu and I will press the “Tap here to have full update!” Or whatever it says. So I’ll click on it but it just brings me back to the AppStore and the app. I’ll go to my little update section and it won’t say the VHS Cam needs to be updated. I’ve done all that I can to try to figure it out. I’ll go to settings, I’ll look in the VHS Camcorder settings, but I can’t seem to find out how to update it. I’m afraid I’m over thinking all of it or it has to do with my phone. I have an iPhone 6s if that has something to do with it.. I would absolutely love to have all the filters, mess with the date, and be able to film longer. May anyone help me?
Home Movies Never Looked So Good!
RarevisionVHS takes you back, if you’re of a certain age, to those childhood years or family functions that live forever on tape. With true-to-form videocassette audio quality and outstanding attention to detail with titles or time and date stamp, I’ve long enjoyed using this app to bring that feeling back. We even used it to film promos and a tiny bit of footage for an indie film I started in. I had intended to use my actual video camcorder for that, but its battery was having issues and a new battery wouldn’t come in time. Since I’d already had RarevisionVHS downloaded and had loved it, I suggested we try it to see if it’d feel the same, and it did! And it felt authentic to the mid/late-1980’s, the time in which the film was set. All in all, I’ve enjoyed this app for years and will continue to use it. Thank you, RarevisionVHS.
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Rarevision LLC
- 14.6 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
English, Japanese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © 2015-2021 Rarevision LLC. All Rights Reserved.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.