RE-1 - Tape Echo
RE-1 is a full featured virtual Tape Machine capable of delivering authentic tape based echo and chorus effects but it doesn't stop there. With it's interactive tape player, sample, loop and overdub features it's possible to use it like a virtual tape recorder, sample player, looper or simply as a master effect.
- Virtual Tape deck including 3 individually controllable read heads, variable delay time and feedback
- Interactive user interface and realtime visualisation of various parameters related to the tape simulation
- Dedicated controls for Wow, Flutter, Color, Tape Hiss & saturation amount
- Tape Loop mode with overdub, tape reverse and time-stretching
- Sample/Loop library loads wave files onto the virtual tape loop
- Transport and Tempo Sync
- Stereo Spread & Stereo Panner
- Input processing: Highpass filter
- Output processing: 2 band eq
- Authentic tape echo emulation
- Multi-tap delay with 3 individually controllable read heads
- Color Control adjusts the echo's tone from dark to bright
- Delay Time: 5ms - 1000ms (or 1/32th to 1/1)
- Wow & Flutter
- Tape Hiss and Saturation
- Stereo spread
- Stereo panner
Looper / Sample Player:
- Uses the tape like a traditional looper with unlimited overdubs
- Configurable Loop length with 1 - 8 bars and tempo sync and tape reverse
- Tape transport can be linked to the host's transport controls
- Time stretching keeps loops in sync
- Samples/loops can be loaded onto the tape directly
- Samples can be created from the tape loop and stored in the sample library at any time
- Factory content includes a variety of loops grouped by style
- Samples/loops can be imported from and exported to other apps
- Ableton Link
- MIDI (Tempo, CC, Program Change)
- iOS 11+
- Added support for direct sample import via document picker
- Added support for MIDI transport control (start/stop)
- Fixed an issue where setting the tempo below 30bpm while looping would cause a crash in both, standalone and AUv3 mode.
- Fixed an issue where on iPhone info popovers could not be closed
- Fixed an issue where the app would crash when accessing the sample library on a device running iOS11 or older.
Ratings and Reviews
Great effect, but UI is too heavy
I got pre-latest iPad Pro, and when loading (opening the UI instance) the plugin is giving too many cracking noises to be able to adjust the parameters. If you close the UI (having plugin still active) the cracklings go away. But, this makes the plugin unusable. This happens under very minimal load, so I think the UI has either a bug or inefficiently written. Tried it in Beatmaker 3, Cubasis and ApeMatrix. If it works - clear 5 star effect. Please fix. Maybe remove that (beautiful looking) tape thingy in settings?
Amazing sound, performance issues
I love the depth that’s available in this app, and the sound just feels smooth coming through this as an AU effect.
The UI does seem to overload the CPU though and I also get crackling when opening and tweaking the UI (iPad Pro 9.7”) even with barely 50% DSP utilization prior.
The best AUV3 delay but...
There is no doubt about this delay is the best on the Appstore, I got a TC Electronic Alter-Ego x4 and this can sound equal and even better for it’s capacities. The only bad thing I have to say is the CPU use is really big, if this delay hadn’t used too memory this would my real favorite Delay.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.