Read2Go is an accessible ebook reader that makes reading Bookshare titles easy.
Bookshare is the world’s largest accessible online library for people with print disabilities with over 345,000 titles. For questions on whether Bookshare is for right for you or for someone you know with a qualifying print disability, please refer to www.bookshare.org. The Help Center on the Bookshare site offers assistance in preparing your membership and in using this app or other ebook readers with Bookshare.
From within Read2Go, you can browse, search, download, and read books directly from Bookshare using your Bookshare membership, as well as read DAISY books from other sources. The app gives you full control over visual choices for font size and color, background and highlighting color, and text-to-speech preferences. Read2Go features word-by-word highlighting for multi-modal reading.
“I'm a high school student with dyslexia and find Bookshare essential to help me read all of my school books. With Read2Go I can download a book and start reading it in seconds. I don't stick out in class because people are familiar with iPods.” - 15-year old student
“The Read2Go app is beautiful in its simplicity. The navigation tools allow even young students to use it effortlessly. The highlighted text-to-speech provides a wonderful opportunity for individuals with print disabilities to increase word recognition and improve fluency. Bravo Bookshare for making a complex process appear seamless and effortless, a true mark of excellence.” – Parent of child with a print disability.
“I now rely solely on Read2Go for daily reading of the NY Times and my local papers. While waiting on the BART train concourse, commuting to work, flying from Oakland to Los Angeles and to the east coast, Read2Go grants me instant access and ease of use to capture and read many books and publications.” – Adult with a print disability.
• Access the Bookshare collection directly from the app
• Browse, search and download books quickly and easily, including those with images
• Read words on the screen with synchronized text-to-speech (Read2Go audio on)
• Read with highly natural Acapela voices and navigate with VoiceOver gestures (Read2Go audio on, VoiceOver on)
• Read with Apple VoiceOver gestures and voice (VoiceOver on, Read2Go audio off)
• Read with many choices of font size, color and backgrounds, and no voices (Read2Go and VoiceOver off)
• Read with Braille displays connected via Bluetooth
• Save books into Read2Go so you can read anywhere
• Adjust font size up to 70 pts
• Adjust text-to-speech audio, either on or off for text-only or text-to-speech mode
• Adjust rate of audio
• View Table of Contents
• Set bookmarks
• Read from where you left off (auto-resume reading position)
• Support for all 6 levels of DAISY navigation built in to structure of book
• Supports DAISY 3.0 and 2.02
• Supports use of iTunes to transfer of non-Bookshare DAISY books to your device
• Supports “Open In Read2Go” for easy access to your books from the Bookshare website
• Educational institutions wishing to purchase 20 licenses or more can get a discount through the Apple Volume Licensing Program for Education
Read2Go (version 1.1.1) has been updated to work better with iOS 9. Has updated Acapela voices, Ryan and Heather.
Ratings and Reviews
Good selection of books but VERY glitchy and crashes often.
My daughter is a huge reader but also legally blind so a program like read2go is very important to us. There are some aspects of this app that are fantastic but others that are extremely frustrating. The availability of books, especially newer books is great, sometimes it works better for my daughter to have the app read to her and that works quite well, the voice sounds almost human. The text size is also easy to adjust. However, this app is ridiculously glitchy. Either the book randomly returns to the beginning of the book, or the last page and it is constantly crashing. The only way around this is to add frequent bookmarks to make it easier to find her place again after the inevitable crash. So unfortunately the negative outweighs the positive. Every time there is a new update I get hopeful that the app will get more stable but it hasn't happened yet.
Please read this!
I have a lot of trouble seeing and this app is definitely amazing. Every book that I have wanted to read has been available to me, and it is great. However, the book very often will just freeze, and then take me all the way back to the title or all the way to the end. This is extremely frustrating, especially when I read books without chapters, pages, or bookmarks, like the hunger games. I give this app a 3 out of 5 because it is definitely an app worth buying, especially for those who have visual anomalies, but it can be very frustrating.
I have used this app since 2013. Like other reviews have mentioned, there are times when it can be extremely glitchy. This can be incredibly frustrating. It isn’t much of a problem now because I only read for pleasure but, when I was in school, it could be very problematic because I needed to jump around in Books. That being said, I have read literally hundreds of books through this app and use it almost constantly. Since I listen with the audio and do not read visually the jumping is not much of an issue. I do wish that, when you click on the book in the bookshelf, it took you to the information about the book like it used to rather than just opening the book. These frustrations aside, the app is wonderful and definitely worth the purchase price
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.