Used by teachers, parents, and learners since 2010, Reading Machine is now available for free! This app for beginning and struggling readers is still 100% satisfaction guaranteed. If you have any technical issues with the app, or if the app does not meet your expectations for any reason, please email us so we can address your needs and strengthen our support for more readers and a better world. Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
Reading Machine helps readers learn new words by seeing and hearing how the letters and sounds in a word go together. The app is perfect for times when readers can’t or don’t want to ask someone else for help on unfamiliar words. Like a personal reading tutor, the app guides readers into figuring out a new word based on the word’s letters and sounds. Readers can use the app while they read traditional books or other printed material. They can also use the app alongside e-books, websites, and other digital material on the iPad. The app is a fun addition to parent-child reading time, and it also works well for older readers who do not like to ask for help on words when they read independently. Developing readers of any age can gain self-confidence as they figure out new words on their own with the app’s support. Videos of how the app works are available at www.sharpcuriosity.com.
Created by a parent, learning scientist, and reading researcher, the app’s underlying dictionary is powered by a real human voice with support for over 5,000 words, plus a text-to-speech engine for pronouncing all other words. As readers advance from simple to more complex words, the app dictionary provides tailored decoding support for each word, ranging from individual phonemes and letters, to multi-letter sounds, syllables, prefixes, suffixes, root words, and whole words within compound words. The app also includes suggestions for parents about fun books to get at the library or bookstore to match readers’ interests and skill levels.
• The Reading Machine is like a secret decoder ring for unlocking printed words. Use it paired with real books – books you already own or books you’ve borrowed from the public library. Or use it on the iPad alongside e-books or web pages.
• Great for early or struggling readers.
• Lets you have more fun reading with your child because your child can use the Reading Machine to figure out words instead of having to ask you for help.
• Best for children who already know the sounds that go with each letter and can read some words, but still need help reading sentences and books.
• Comes with full decoding and phonics support for all the words in over 125 well-loved early reader titles. Older readers can even use the app with the first chapter of Harry Potter.
• The app provides lists of suggested titles (“Book Sets”) for readers with different interests and skill levels. This is a great guide for finding books your reader will enjoy. These books are easy to find for free at your public library. Or head to your favorite bookstore.
• All the words in over 125 books, listed in the Book Sets, have phonics support provided by the app, with clear pronunciation recorded by a natural, human voice.
• For any word not in the app’s dictionary, readers can hear the whole word pronunciation with text-to-speech voice. So they are never stuck on any word.
• Among the words that have phonics and decoding support are the 300 most frequent words in the English language, which cover 65% of all English reading material. Many of these words are often called “sight words.”
• When new Book Sets and new words are available for the app, they can be downloaded for free from within the app.
For more info and videos, see http://www.sharpcuriosity.com
• iOS 11 Optimizations
Ratings and Reviews
The perfect app!
I purchased the app for my 23 year old autistic son who has never been able to read more than a few simple words. He loves the app and uses it every day to de-code words. He is fascinated with "text to speech" and this app has provided a key link in developing word recognition. I would highly recommend this app, particularly for adults with developmental disabilities.
This app is phenomenal! This is the missing link for my child. My child is autistic and over the years we have spent thousands of dollars on reading programs delivered as software or paper. None of these programs ever forced my child to pay attention to letter sequence nor did it force him to listen to the syllable sound out. This program does. The best thing is he can push the button a 1000 times during the sound out and the program ignores that input. I love this feature along with the ability to set the rate of the sound out. The only thing that I wish for is a larger database of sounded words for the 2nd grade level books that he is reading like the fly guy series. While most words are in the database a few are not. The words that are not sounded out are not as clear as the ones that are. Thank you so very much for this wonderful app it has already lead to improvement far beyond what I expected. I wish you could have witnessed the transformation from August to October that I have seen and it is 100% due to this app. Again THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH you have no how much this has helped us. we have worked on so many dolche words for so many years with no luck for memory or recall until now. I again have hope that my child will learn to read.
Got a beginning or struggling reader? This is what you are looking for.
This app looks so simple, and it is. But it is incredibly powerful and effective. It works wonders with struggling readers and any child you want to give the ultimate school head start or boost. This new keyboard makes it a snap for young kids who can find letters the same way they do in the classroom- by looking at that big alphabet that runs around the room like wallpaper border.
If your kids have trouble reading you probably feel like everything you try is tedious and makes their grind through the lessons like a bad day at work. But with this app you can find books about stuff they already think is cool and amazing. When they really WANT the information in the books, reading is a means to that very motivating end. This simple tool is like giving them a shovel at the beach. They don't think about the work of digging. They just dig like crazy to find out what's in that hole! So when they love what they are reading about this is a reading shovel and they'll dig like crazy to find out what's in those books.
You will be amazed at how quickly they improve!
Beginner readers will impress their teachers. Struggling readers will quickly get past their sense of failure and defeat and start to love reading. What more can you ask?
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.