Every child can learn to read with this growing library of 300+ engaging beginner books, songs and quizzes. Complete reading curriculum building skills, self confidence, vocabulary and a love of reading.
FREE: Try 33 books, 20 songs, play the train games and use the 450+ word dictionary for FREE.
Grand Prize Winner of the 2015 Technology and Reading Award, International Literacy Association.
"No other app is as specifically tailored to the needs of beginning readers." KinderTown.com
"Beautifully designed storybooks and related games that teach foundational reading": Appolicious.com
"A vast selection of mini books to help kids reach reading independence" Geeks With Juniors.
Access the whole library of over 300 books with a FREE trial for 30 days when you sign up for an auto-renewing subscription. Choose $1.99/month; 6.99 for 6 months or 9.99 for a year! (U.S. Dollars) All subscriptions are renewing. You may turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings.
Safe for Kids: The Learning Station is a Proud Member of Moms With Apps and the Know What's Inside Program.
Kid tested and parent/teacher approved. We are ad-free and take our users privacy seriously.
* Listen, read and record books at 3 different beginning reading levels.
* Professional narration: American English. All books can be recorded by users.
* Play the train game after every book.
* 450+ word integrated dictionary
* 20 free song books
* Unlimited user accounts
* Powerful reporting tools
Books Kids CAN Read. Books Kids LOVE to Read.
Leveled books on numbers, colors, animals, shapes, and science help build the foundational knowledge kids need to succeed in school.
Keep in Touch
We welcome your feedback: firstname.lastname@example.org
How the Reading Train Works-
* Free users can read/listen/record the first book in every unit, (33 books in all), play the train game, use the integrated 450+ word dictionary, and listen to 20 song books.
* Subscribers get access to all 300+ books, with new books added regularly.
* To access our entire library of books, FREE for the first month, choose an automatically renewing subscription for $1.99/one month; $6.99/six months; 9.99/twelve months. (U.S. Dollars)
* After subscribing, you may need to touch the "Restore" button on the "buy" screen where you purchased the subscription. (You will not be charged again.)
* The service can be shared with additional iPads you own.
* Your subscription is for your iTunes account and payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase (subscribing is optional and in a parent-only section of the app).
* Your Subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24-hours before the end of the current period
* Your account will be charged for renewal within 24-hours prior to the end of the current period, and identify the cost of the renewal
* You may turn off auto-renewal at any time from your iTunes account settings- Manage Subscriptions.
* No refunds for unused portions of the current subscription are allowed during active subscription period.
* For help or additional information please contact us at http://www.readingtrain.org/contact/ or send an email to email@example.com
* Not compatible with iPad 1.
Optimized for iPhone X. Squashed some bugs. Added a brand new unit: Story Town with 3 new books, including a funny new FREE book for everyone to enjoy- "What Can Fly". If you are enjoying the Reading Train, please leave us a review so we can continue to update, make improvements and add new books and features.
Ratings and Reviews
Good for sight word vocabulary
This is a well-executed app, with nice graphics and sound. Lots of activities keep the child interested, and the songs are fun and engaging; I love that the lyrics are printed as the song plays, so the child can read along and learn those words. For very beginning readers, it would be helpful to have the words in the books at least be highlighted as the book was being read, as this is focusing on sight word recognition it seems more than phonics. I like that there are other things to learn, like trains that group "things that are food" for example. When you tap on a word, you can get more info about it; it would be nice if there was a read-aloud option for that info, as it is too advanced for the readers who would be using this app.
Developer Response ,
Hello. Thanks for the feedback. There is a read aloud option for the dictionary. You need to tap on the picture to activate the voice for the definition. We have also implemented word highlighting for when a child taps on a word. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any other questions or suggestions.
Best reading app for beginners
Love the new books. I like that kids can read anywhere and anytime even when you are not connected to WiFi. The Reading Train is hands-down the favorite of my 5 to 7 year old students. This app has everything they need to develop from pre-readers to self confident, independent readers. Kids can get started right away with reading real books. The books are very simple, fun and informative with lots of interesting topics to choose from. There are 3 beginning reading levels so it is easy to find just right books for every child. Kids love to record themselves reading which is a great way for me to assess their reading progress. Every word can be touched to hear it spoken and I love the built in dictionary where kids can hear and see definitions of hundreds of words and build their background knowledge. The train game lets kids practice phonics, spelling and even tests comprehension as kids have to pick items for a category related to the book they just read. My kids love earning coins to spend in the music shop where they can sing along with familiar and new children's songs. I subscribed for a year for just 9.99 which is incredible value as I know we will be using this app every day!
Great for struggling readers!
I have an 11 year old with autism and he has struggled with reading from the beginning. He started the school year at a kindergarten level and by the end of the year he was at a first grade third month. I believe with the help of this app he was able to be so successful. I love how if he does not know a word he can hold his finger on it and then he can hear what the word is. I like the different categories and levels. I would suggest this app for struggling readers! Now if the programmer can create one with the next levels that would be great!
- The Learning Station, LLC
- 597.8 MB
Requires iOS 8.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Simplified Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- © The Learning Station, LLC
- In-App Purchases
- The Reading Train $1.99
- The Reading Train $9.99
- The Reading Train $6.99
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.