Skin tones, eye colors, flowers, water, sky color mixing made easy! Computes opaque paint recipes using pre-selected paint bases from the included 24 commercial brands!
Painters can pick colors from images and have the opaque paint mixing recipe computed for several commercial brands! Great for art students, painters with color vision difficulties or for those working in the painting conservation and restoration fields. Paint, time and money waste can be greatily reduced!
Optishade images can also be imported directly from the Optishade by StyleItaliano app. These images can be used to create gum or dental colors for the mockups used by technicians.
Many Color Spaces are included: sRGB, Display P3, CMYK, HSL, HSV/B, Lab, Lch-ab, Luv, Lch-uv, XYZ, xyY and Munsell coordinates. The Munsell coordinates are computed from the original and extrapolated Renotation Data with great precision even around the neutral axis. You can even check the color transformation error to be completely in control.
RealPaint includes one Ideal Paint set and many measured Paint Sets of well-known paint makers: Createx, Daler-Rowney, Ferrario, Gamblin, Grumbacher-Chartpak, Golden, Liquitex, Maimeri, Royal Talens, Schmincke, Sennelier, Vallejo, Winsor&Newton.
RealPaint includes 8 paint bases of each Paint Set. Once you've selected your Paint Line, you can purchase the 8 bases wherever you like and use them for all your paintings. The 6 colored bases of each Paint Set were optimized to cover the widest possible OPAQUE color space offering you as many as possible mixable colors. Sometimes phthalocyanine pigments are also included because they allow for a wide gamut color mixing, even if they may be problematic for the beginners.
The apps of the "Real Paint mixing tools" family use measured paint spectral information of painted samples. Big part of the RGB/P3 space can be mixed, but not all RGB/P3 colors. This is not a limitation of the apps, just physics. There are also many colors which can be mixed even if they don't belong to the RGB/P3 color space (you can find these by varying manually the paint amount on the "mixing" page).
Paint recipes can be obtained using several Mixing Strategies:
- “B and W + 2 Colors”: a gray is mixed using Black and White first, then 2 colored bases set Hue and Saturation.
- “B or W + 3 Colors”: 3 colored bases are used to set Hue and Saturation and Black OR White set the Value
- “at least one opaque”: all possible opaque mixing combinations are shown
- “no Black used”: opaque mixing combinations without Black
- “all bases at once”: one recipe is computed using all bases at once (result is usually not unique and opacity is not guaranteed)
Each recipe can be Exact or Rounded:
- “Exact recipe” means that each base has an amount with a precision of 0.01 units. If you need % values of each paint base amount, just enter 100 as amount. Exact setting is helpful for weight based measurements using a scale.
- “Rounded recipe” means that each base has an integer number as amount. The recipe will have the minimum possible overall amount computed adding all paint base amounts. The rounded recipes are useful for volume based measurements, like drops, using spoons or squared paper with paint squeezed directly from tubes.
Digital images usually don't fit into the color gamut of real paint sets. RealPaint can find an approximated (de)saturation value of an image to fit it into the color gamut of the selected Paint Set with the current mixing parameters. The value is approximated, because it is based on heuristics, but it is usually a very good approximation.
Please note that color of paint coming from various parts of a tube/jar or from different batches of the manufacturer can vary, so mix small amounts first to be sure that computed recipes meet your needs!
Please check the video tutorials on youtube by searching for "Real Paint mixing tools" to see how to use the app in your paintings.
aligned with iOS 15 P3 - rgb conversion
Ratings and Reviews
Great App but missing a key feature
I really enjoy this app- It is easy and simple to use to pick out colors from a photograph. I just wish that you could see the picked color on a color wheel. I use different pigments then the ones used in the app( like Ultramarine Blue then pthalo) for mixing and showing the picked color on a color wheel would give artists a good map to mix the selected color without having to follow the prescribed pigments. It would be the ultimate painting app if it had a color wheel. I hope they can implement it an update!
Amazing tool for painters
I use Gamblin oils and this app is amazing!!! There are a good amount of brands to choose from and this app tells you the exact amounts of the exact paint colors to mix the exact colors it color matches for you! Just go through the settings thoroughly to make sure you have everything set the way you need it for the brand you are using. Anyone giving this app a low rating just doesn’t know what they are doing. This is exactly what I was looking for! Thank you!
Developer Response ,
Thank you for the great review!
Great app to color finding
I love this app. It’s so helpful to find the color mixing formula to get the right color I need. The only thing I wished it had in the Paint Brand and Line was a watercolor line. I use winsor and newton professional watercolors. The closest line I found was the WN gouache color combination. I can manage but your app is so good at giving the right color name for the gouache that I wished I had access to a watercolor option too. Maybe soon?
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- AI4RES SRL
- 35 MB
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 9.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 9.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip or later.
- Apple Vision
- Requires visionOS 1.0 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2018-2022 AI4res s.r.l.
Up to six family members can use this app with Family Sharing enabled.