The Real Vocabulary app is a comprehensive and flexible language program for kindergarten-5th grade students targeting core curriculum vocabulary*.
The Real Vocabulary app includes over 1500 pictures and over 5000 pre-recorded audio. The pro version of the app and the All Words in - app program allow the users to add their own words, pictures and audio recordings, making therapy more individualized and allowing school speech therapists to add their own curriculum based vocabulary.
The Real Vocabulary app offers both receptive and expressive tasks in the following categories:
- Antonyms (Kindergarten – 1st grade, 2nd- 3rd grades, 4th – 5th grades with total of 300 antonyms)
- Synonyms (Kindergarten – 1st grade, 2nd- 3rd grades, 4th – 5th grades with total of 300 synonyms)
- Definitions (Kindergarten – 1st grade, 2nd- 3rd grades, 4th – 5th grades with total of 300 definitions)
- Multiple Meanings (Kindergarten – 1st grade, 2nd- 3rd grades, 4th – 5th grades with total of 300 multiple meanings)
- Idioms (Kindergarten – 1st grade, 2nd- 3rd grades, 4th – 5th grades with total of 300 idioms)
In the receptive task, the picture with word stimulus is displayed and the student matches one of the four words that matches the stimulus. (E.g. what is another word for accurate? A) Happy B) Late C) True D) Correct)
In the expressive task, the picture with word stimulus is displayed and the student states his answer verbally (E.g. what is another word for almost?)
The pro version of the app and the ALL words in- app program include all the above categories however each category can be purchased separately as well. The users can try the free light version of the app with a few examples of each category and activity.
Students will be motivated to learn and practice thousands of words since they will be rewarded with three different games:
-Catch the Dish
The Real Vocabulary app is easy to navigate and allows users to employ several tools to perform the following:
-add additional photos and audio recording
-enter multiple students
-save selected targets for the next session
-select alternate counts for multiple students
-enable or disable written picture descriptions
-enable or disable special effect sounds
-audio record users’ responses
-track correct and incorrect responses
-view reports in table and graphical forms
-e-mail results at the end of the game
Author: Jennifer Rogers, M.A. CCC-SLP
Developed by: Virtual Speech Center
This app has been updated by Apple to display the Apple Watch app icon.
- ios 9 fixes
Ratings and Reviews
Figures of speech
Would you consider changing your pictures for the figures of speech to a photo that represents the actual meaning? For my students on the spectrum, the photo sticks in their mind and is giving them the wrong message to recall. The reason we’re working on this is because this is an area in which they struggle, and therefore it seems to be counterproductive in teaching. Thank you!
Activities and word selection are good. Most of the photos are excellent, a few could be better ("beat it"). Love that there is an expressive component included! My concern is the price. As an SLP, I work with ALL grade levels. That is an awful lot to purchase when you have few funds available.
This app works great both for my kids who need receptive language help as well as expressive language help. The feedback it provides is great and they love the games. I will be purchasing the add ons for the grade levels.
No Details Provided
The developer will be required to provide privacy details when they submit their next app update.
- Virtual Speech Center Inc.
- 106.3 MB
- Requires iPadOS 7.0 or later.
- Requires macOS 11.0 or later and a Mac with Apple M1 chip.
- Age Rating
- © Virtual Speech Center Inc.
- In-App Purchases
- All Words $29.99
- Multiple meanings : 4th-5th grades $3.99
- Antonyms : 2nd - 3rd grades $3.99
- Definitions : Kindergarten - 1st grade $3.99
- Antonyms Kindergarten – 1 st grade $3.99
- Multiple meanings : 2nd - 3rd grades $3.99
- Antonyms : 4th-5th grades $3.99
- Idioms : 4th-5th grades $4.99
- Definitions : 4th-5th grades $3.99
- Definitions : 2nd - 3rd grades $3.99