A news reader for the Mac with support for various sync services.
Reeder 4 adds new features like…
- The new Bionic Reading mode
- An in-app Read Later service which syncs with iCloud
- Image previews in the articles list (finally)
- An image viewer
- Much improved article viewer
- More layout options, including automatic layout depending on window size
- Improved reader view
Navigate the app using gestures for a great reading experience. Customize shortcuts and gestures to fine-tune the app to your needs.
Supported sync services:
- Feed Wrangler
- The Old Reader
- BazQux Reader
If you want to use a self-hosted service, Reeder should work with services which use the Fever or the Google Reader API. Or just standalone RSS (without syncing) if you don't want to use any service.
Reeder 4 is also available for iOS.
• Cmd-click on an article list entry now opens the default browser (as it did in Reeder 3)
• More Pocket sync issues. Pocket syncing should be completely fixed now. If you're still seeing errors, you might want to try to do a full resync (see Pocket account settings) to get everything working correctly.
• Crash when navigating the feeds list with up/down-arrow
• Various other issues
Ratings and Reviews
Love this app, just one nitpick
Version 3 supported a bunch of built-in services for sharing items. Version 4 does the sensible thing and just uses the system share sheet. This works great on iOS, but on the Mac there doesn't seem to be a good way to share items to Pinboard anymore (aside from some very poorly reviewed and overpriced apps that I have not tried.) I hope this gap gets filled soon, or I might have to have a go at filling it myself.
Unpopular opinion: This is a downgrade.
After buying this for $9.99 I instantly had buyer's remorse. Although it's wonderful to see this developer continue to work on Reeder, and the new featre-set is awesome, and the subtle animations are cool —I really dislike the aesthetic changes overall.
For one, the neutral-themed theme is gone (so you're stuck with all-white or all-black if you don't like the multi-colored options). You also can no longer select any system font but are limited to San Francisco as your only sans-serif. The new icon's smaller "count" font is kind of tiny. The new views are really janky and unpolished, and almost contradict each other in their design.
But for $9.99… I was hoping this would be more put-together.
I thought I'd give version 4 a try, but to be honest, I still prefer, and went back to, News Explorer.
The main reason I prefer NE is the searching capabilities when adding a new feed. For example I can enter "Astronomy" and click search and it will list all Astronomy news feeds.
With Reeder I have to find and enter the exact feed address myself.
- Silvio Rizzi
- 9.8 MB
macOS 10.14 or later, 64-bit processor
- Age Rating
- You must be at least 17 years old to download this app.
- Unrestricted Web Access
- © 2019 Silvio Rizzi
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.