A news reader for the Mac with support for various sync services.
Reeder 4 adds new features like…
- The new Bionic Reading mode
- An in-app Read Later service which syncs with iCloud
- Image previews in the articles list (finally)
- An image viewer
- Much improved article viewer
- More layout options, including automatic layout depending on window size
- Automatic reader view
Navigate the app using gestures for a great reading experience. Customize shortcuts and gestures to fine-tune the app to your needs.
Supported sync services:
- Feed Wrangler
- The Old Reader
- BazQux Reader
If you want to use a self-hosted service, Reeder should work with services which use the Fever or the Google Reader API. Or just standalone RSS (without syncing) if you don't want to use any service.
Reeder 4 is also available for iOS.
- Option to automatically hide and show toolbars in the article viewer (disabled by default, see Settings → Reading)
- It’s now possible to delete Read Later articles using the keyboard (“delete” key)
- Memory usage
- General performance improvements
- Article not opening when “Automatic Reader View” is enabled
- Empty article viewer
- Context menu placement
- UI freezes for accounts with a lot of articles
- Issues with searching in the article list
- Potential crash on start
- Local/RSS: Not finishing syncing
- Local/RSS: Missing dates
- Local/RSS: Missing images
- Various other minor bugfixes
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Very nice. I can finally enjoy my InoReader feeds.
I've truly "tried them all" and this release hits all the buttons for me. So intuitive, easy to use, and practically every preference you could want.
But there is ONE preference I want. For the article image previews (which I love), the user can only choose between small, medium or large.
Large is too big and medium is too small (at least for my liking). I'd love to see a slider allowing the user to choose any size between small and large, as well as an option to place the image on the left or the right.
Unpopular opinion: This is a downgrade.
After buying this for $9.99 I instantly had buyer's remorse. Although it's wonderful to see this developer continue to work on Reeder, and the new featre-set is awesome, and the subtle animations are cool —I really dislike the aesthetic changes overall.
For one, the neutral-themed theme is gone (so you're stuck with all-white or all-black if you don't like the multi-colored options). You also can no longer select any system font but are limited to San Francisco as your only sans-serif. The new icon's smaller "count" font is kind of tiny. The new views are really janky and unpolished, and almost contradict each other in their design.
But for $9.99… I was hoping this would be more put-together.
Love it but looking for more info on self-hosted RSS apps
I wish the Reeder website contained at least a little info about compatibility with self-hosted RSS reader apps (i.e. for Fever and Google APIs). I've tried Reader Self, Tiny Tiny RSS, and Fresh RSS and can't get any of them to work with Reeder 4. They all fail at authentication. I used Fever for Reeder 3 years ago and it worked just fine. Hopefully, this problem will be resolved, either through continuing development or documentation. But for those who don't mind using local RSS or third-parties, this app is by far the best.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.