REFUGE maps safe restrooms for transgender, intersex, and gender nonconforming individuals.
- Tap a map pin to see more information about a restroom, including whether the restroom is unisex and/or accessible.
- Use the search bar to zoom to a specific address and view restrooms nearby - great for everyday use or travel.
- Don't see a location in your area? Tap the '+' button on the navigation to add a new listing to refugerestrooms.org.
Access to safe restrooms is an important transgender rights issue - REFUGE seeks to aid this mission. Visit refugerestrooms.org for more information.
- Re-instate ability to add new Restrooms
Ratings and ReviewsSee All
Love this app!
I’m cisgender and never have any problems finding a restroom I can use. Today I was at a cafe, and they had a unisex restroom. My first thought was this app, which I had heard about, never downloaded. After seeing the restroom, I immediately downloaded this and mapped the location.
This app is very easy to use, doesn’t take much space on your phone, and it only takes a few minutes (at most) to map a restroom. To anyone considering downloading this app: do it. Even if it won’t benefit you or anyone you know, do it to help someone in need. I live in a conservative area and can only imagine how frightening it must be to not be able to find a restroom you can safely use, without the risk of being harassed or getting in trouble. And to anyone trans, intersex, etc, this app can help you find nearby restrooms safe for you to use. Even if there aren’t any restrooms mapped in your area, all you have to do is map any safe restrooms you can find.
I write this as a cis person. I use the app to mark single-gender, unisex, or other safe bathroom spaces, for the people who need that knowledge more than me, and so my experience with the app is mostly in adding restrooms, not in using the search function. It’s pretty easy to add a restroom to the database, and I like the options to mark if the facilities have changing tables or are wheelchair-accessible.
So grateful that this app exists!!
I’ve been wanting/looking for something like this for YEARS! As a non-binary person, finding a safe feeling restroom while traveling is one of my biggest anxiety causers, and I know I’m not alone in this. This map is exactly what is needed to help us all feel more comfortable. And dang it, sometimes you just need to pee and not feel weird about it!!
My only technical problems are:
- that I can’t rate a restroom on the app once it’s been added, only on the website,
- and, it appears that there are far more bathrooms listed on the website than on the app.
Other than that, it’s excellent and thank you so much for creating this!
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.