REI Co-op Guide to National Parks is your comprehensive guide to hiking and site seeing in our National Parks.
• Currently packing complete trail data and hike descriptions for many of your favorite National Parks, including life-list destinations like Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, Zion, Grand Teton, Mount Rainier, Point Reyes, Rocky Mountain, Zion, Acadia and many more!
• Search for hikes using the map or a park's “best of” list curated through star rankings from the community.
• Never get lost again! See your live position on a terrain or satellite map and vertical profile
• No cell signal needed. The data is available offline, and your phone uses its built-in GPS to show your location.
• Plan the perfect trip for you, using our hike difficulty ratings, elevation profiles, star ratings, and informed insights on seasons, camping and lodging, guided tours, food and drink, and more.
• Traveling with kids? We have an expert-selected list of Family Friendly Hikes. Want to target the park’s most beautiful features? View our list of Gems.
• Other cool features: Create a to-do list, track your hikes, or send your exact location to help in case of emergency.
• The app is completely free--it’s our gift to you as part of the National Park Service's Centennial Celebration.
By using GPS, we can show your location on trails and vertical profiles. Continued use of GPS running in the background can dramatically decrease battery life.
This version provides some general maintenance updates and addresses a crash that a small percentage of users were impacted by.
Ratings and Reviews
Best hiking app!
I cannot say enough about how great this app is. I just hiked Grand Canyon rim to rim and used this all along the way. Clearly there is no service in the canyon but the app still worked and showed us all along the way exactly where we were. We were able also to navigate to side hikes and know we were on course. We threw out paper maps and just used my phone for this app. After the Grand Canyon we went to Bryce NP and were sore so not wanting to do big hikes so we just focused on seeing the gems rei suggestions and they were all amazing. Thank you rei for a great app!
One of BEST apps I’ve used
I have 50+ apps on my iPhone and this is one of the top ones. I wish more apps did this — all content is available offline and combined with GPS location services, you can easily navigate your progress on one of our NP trails while you hike. That’s really important because usually you can’t get cellular data service while hiking in the wilderness.
We’ve been using it in Yellowstone and Grand Teton parks and it’s been more helpful than the NPS hard copy maps! Thanks REI, GREAT work!
Free offline maps
I really appreciate that REI put this out and offers offline maps with gps tracking throughout the national parks for free. I almost bought all trails for $30 because I was worried about a snow covered trail in Yosemite but REI tracked me perfectly, recognized every step, never lagged, and even tracked when I turned left and right in real time. I was able to follow where the trail should be underneath the snow using this app.
- Recreational Equipment, Inc
- 151.7 MB
Requires iOS 10.0 or later. Compatible with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch.
English, Danish, French, German, Japanese, Portuguese, Simplified Chinese, Spanish, Traditional Chinese
- Age Rating
- Rated 4+
- This app may use your location even when it isn't open, which can decrease battery life.
- © 2015 Adventure Projects Inc.
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.