Retro Dither gives any photo a cool retro look using just black and white pixels. You may want this for artistic effect, or you may want to export your photo to MacPaint for display on a retro Mac.
Note that we're talking about just black and white—not grayscale (no grays here!). Amazingly, these dithering algorithms make pure black and white images look like grayscale. You'll get an old-school newspaper look—or a look like your photo just came off of a Mac from the 1980s. And this works with any photo in any bitmap format (JPEG, PNG, HEIF, etc.).
• Five dithering algorithms, for the perfect retro look (Atkinson, Floyd-Steinberg, Minimized Average Error, Sierra, and Threshold)
• Import any bitmap image in any format (JPEG, PNG, HEIF, etc.)
• Export to PNG or GIF
• Export to MacPaint for display on a retro Mac
Retro Dither is a native Mac app with a UI built to feel at home in macOS including support for drag-and-drop imports, a native print dialog, and the ability to copy your dithered creations into any other app.
Retro Dither is the best way to display your photos on a classic black & white Mac. The exported MacPaint images are automatically wrapped in MacBinary format for easy transport and unwrapping on a classic Mac. They can be unwrapped on your classic Mac with MacBinary or with Stuffit Expander. And then you're just a double click away from your photos appearing in the 2020s on a 1980s Mac.
- Fixes a bug which caused high DPI images to result in an incorrect window size
Ratings and Reviews
Data Not Collected
The developer does not collect any data from this app.
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Oak Snow Consulting LLC
- 5.4 MB
- Photo & Video
- Requires macOS 10.13 or later.
- Age Rating
- © 2021 Oak Snow Consulting LLC
With Family Sharing set up, up to six family members can use this app.