*** FREE 30 DAY SUBSCRIPTION TRIAL – READ OUR LATEST ISSUE FREE TODAY ***
Retro Gamer is the only magazine in the UK that’s fully dedicated to the halcyon days of classic gaming. If you’ve ever fondly blasted away at the Bydo Empire in R-Type, swung Bowser by the tail in Super Mario 64, or navigated all 20 levels of Matthew Smith’s Manic Miner, then this is the magazine for you. Created by a dedicated team of experts, Retro Gamer’s mission is to deliver constantly engaging and passionately written articles that cover a wide range of subjects.
We offer our readership in-depth looks at classic games and franchises, behind-the-scenes glimpses of the software houses from yesteryear, and one-on-one exclusive interviews with industry veterans such as Archer Maclean and Hideo Kojima. Stylish, entertaining and beautifully presented, Retro Gamer is the ultimate guide to video gaming’s rich and diverse history.
What you’ll find in every issue:
• Unique – Interviews and features with unique access other publications cannot rival
• History – Delving into the history of the biggest games ever made with the unique ‘making of’ section
• Community – Creating a community where readers are given a chance to have their say on some of the best games in the world
• Extensive – Covering all aspects of the retro gaming world, from the Atari 2600 right up to the PlayStation 2
Once you’ve downloaded our app, you will need to take a free trial or purchase a single issue or subscription to access our in-depth content. We also publish specials and guides - browse our publications, read what interests you most, and get inspired.
Back issues, specials, and future issues are available for purchase within the app. Subscriptions are available on various monthly and annual terms, and auto-renew until you decide to cancel it. Check inside the app for current pricing.
*** Please Note: Our digital edition is not printable and does not include the covermount items or supplements you would find with the print edition ***
• The free trial offer is only available to new subscribers. If you have previously subscribed then payment will be taken immediately.
• You can cancel at any time during the free trial period and you will not be charged. Simply turn off auto-renew in your Apple account subscriptions page at least 24 hours before the auto-renew is due.
• Payment will be charged to your iTunes Account at confirmation of purchase.
• Your subscription automatically renews unless auto-renew is turned off at least 24 hours before the end of the current subscription period.
• You will be charged for renewal within 24 hours prior to the end of the current period, for the same duration and at the current subscription rate for that product.
• You can manage your subscriptions and turn off auto-renewal by going to your Account Settings after purchase .
• No cancellation of the current subscription is allowed during active subscription period. This does not affect your statutory rights.
• Any unused portion of a free trial period, if offered, will be forfeited when you purchase a subscription.
The subscription will include the current issue if you don't already own it and subsequently published future issues for the duration of your subscription period.
Bug fixes and performance improvements.
Ratings and Reviews
Merely gets the job done, but that’s what’s needed
Some might bemoan the lack of bells and whistles when it comes to reading the magazine in this app, but it does exactly what I want/need: shows me the page. Going page to page is quick and simple, and the higher-level navigation is where you expect it to be, up at the top.
Content wise, Retro Gamer is great, with a mix of lighter features and deeper dives into particular games/series/machines. In each issue, you will almost always learn something new.
(Not doubting problems with the app that others have reported. It’s just that I haven’t encountered those problems over my years as a subscriber.)
Great mag, decent viewer
Viewer works well enough. Can be a bit tough to turn pages.
Magazine is fantastic, looks great on ipad even if i'd still prefer it in print. Readable on iphone but loses some of the charm of the beautiful page layouts from print edition due to being shrunk so small and having to zoom in to read the actual text.
Also got 169 issues for $47, which is a phenomenal deal.
Love the magazine, but the app is subpar.
There are several areas for improvement with the app, and I really hope the developers will address some of the many complaints over time. The performance is pretty terrible. The library section still has tons of screen space consumed by store, sub, and sign-in. There is a separate store section, so taking up real estate for the library view seems like overkill. There are so few options for organizing the library. Just adding the ability to manually adjust the order would be a huge plus.
Anyway, I love the magazine enough to tolerate the issues with the application, but things good be so much better.
Data Linked to You
The following data may be collected and linked to your identity:
- User Content
Data Not Linked to You
The following data may be collected but it is not linked to your identity:
- Usage Data
- Other Data
Privacy practices may vary, for example, based on the features you use or your age. Learn More
- Imagine Publishing
- 23.6 MB
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
- Requires iPadOS 11.0 or later.
- iPod touch
- Requires iOS 11.0 or later.
English, Dutch, French, German, Italian, Portuguese, Spanish
- Age Rating
- © Future Publishing Ltd.
- In-App Purchases
- 1 Month Subscription $3.99
- 1 Year Subscription $39.99
- 6 Month Subscription $23.99
- All Retro Gamer back issues $69.99
- Retro Gamer: Videogames Hardware Handbook 1 $5.99
- Retro Gamer: Issue 100 $5.99
- Atari Book 40th Anniversary $5.99
- Videogames Hardware HandbookV2 $6.99
- Retro Gamer: The Mega Drive / SNES Book $5.99
- Retro Gamer: Issue 103 $5.99